• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-1 Spurs: Verdict thread

It was a good performance although I am not convinced that was more of a reflection on Spurs rather than us.

I find Otasowie increasingly impressive whenever I see him. Nice cameo last night and one great tackle late in the game in particular.

Moutinho and Neves were too deep 1st half but way more effective 2nd when they were higher up and pressing.

We have had a few dodgy moments of late at the back when Rui and defenders are clearly not communicating. Saiss in particular last match and Semedo last night. For me that has to be on Rui not giving the shout.

On the Fabio front, I am still not convinced he hasn't been bought for wider interests rather than an expectation of any quick footballing return and regardless of funds and even with inflated transfer fees, £35m needs to deliver, particularly when we haven't purchased any other backup intentionally or otherwise.
This is great, shows the England captain for the cheating cunt he is too:

Agree with most of that, except the Neves/Moutinho partnership vindication you snuck in there ;)

I very much won't 'put that one to bed', thanks! The untouchables can enjoy scrutiny like the rest of the team for once...
"For once" ? It's this forums mantra that the pairing doesn't work
You've said it doesn't work so ergo it can't work, it simply cant !

On the Fabio front, I am still not convinced he hasn't been bought for wider interests rather than an expectation of any quick footballing return and regardless of funds and even with inflated transfer fees, £35m needs to deliver, particularly when we haven't purchased any other backup intentionally or otherwise.
Sigh :sleep:

"For once" ? It's this forums mantra that the pairing doesn't work
You've said it doesn't work so ergo it can't work, it simply cant !
You're missing the point, it's fine to think Neves and Moutinho work as a partnership, but it's sneaky to say the discussion should be 'put to bed' based on one game where their partnership was hardly the outstanding factor.

As an example, I will defend Adama when necessary but I won't have the gall to say that if he has a decent game all questioning of his place in the team has to stop!

You're missing the point, it's fine to think Neves and Moutinho work as a partnership, but it's sneaky to say the discussion should be 'put to bed' based on one game where their partnership was hardly the outstanding factor.

As an example, I will defend Adama when necessary but I won't have the gall to say that if he has a decent game all questioning of his place in the team has to stop!
You have though, although the condemnation of Adama has been over zealous some of the time on the whole it's 99% totally justified (in my opinion) yet you have taken it upon yourself to defend him regardless of his contribution to the team being less than zero, is that not the same ?

It was a good performance although I am not convinced that was more of a reflection on Spurs rather than us.

I find Otasowie increasingly impressive whenever I see him. Nice cameo last night and one great tackle late in the game in particular.

Moutinho and Neves were too deep 1st half but way more effective 2nd when they were higher up and pressing.

We have had a few dodgy moments of late at the back when Rui and defenders are clearly not communicating. Saiss in particular last match and Semedo last night. For me that has to be on Rui not giving the shout.

Must admit I didn't notice any lack of communication between Rui/Saiss/Semedo? Don't think anyone though Silva was bought in as 'an expectation of a quick footballing return' ......did they?
As for his cost, personally I don't really care what players cost, as long as we can afford it and I'll trust Fosun on that.

Four things which are still grating me this morning

1) why did Saiss take that FK??
2) why are refs so shit and so quick to dismiss our penalty shouts when you see some of the soft ones that get given
3) our set pieces and thrown ins are awful. It's such an obvious area we can improve on
4) Harry Kane
Might I add to this list;
5) the totally bias punditry, even when discussing Wolves attributes in the game they managed to turn it round and discuss Spuds

Tottenham's bizarre tactics made us look better than we really were imo. How José thought defending for 90+ minutes would do anything other than create pressure and allow us some decent opportunities is weird, if Spurs had played any counterattacking football I think they'd have beaten us.

The positives:

I thought Fabio had a decent game, he'll be disappointed with the miss at the end but it was a difficult chance.

Adama had a decent first half, 2nd half I think Spurs marked him better, but that gave Podence and Neto more space.

Otasowie had a very competent cameo, hopefully he continues to get game time a develop when Donck is fit.

Tottenham's bizarre tactics made us look better than we really were imo. How José thought defending for 90+ minutes would do anything other than create pressure and allow us some decent opportunities is weird, if Spurs had played any counterattacking football I think they'd have beaten us.

The positives:

I thought Fabio had a decent game, he'll be disappointed with the miss at the end but it was a difficult chance.

Adama had a decent first half, 2nd half I think Spurs marked him better, but that gave Podence and Neto more space.

Otasowie had a very competent cameo, hopefully he continues to get game time a develop when Donck is fit.
Good point - much like Palace a few games ago their tactics suited us and our formation perfectly. It doesn’t mean play this way and we will do well every game though.

Agree with most of that, except the Neves/Moutinho partnership vindication you snuck in there ;)

I very much won't 'put that one to bed', thanks! The untouchables can enjoy scrutiny like the rest of the team for once...

The stats of their games together this season can't be undone by a late draw at home.

We were still losing with the two of them on the pitch, the goal was scored with Otasowie on and we may well have won the game with a more adventurous combination in the middle.

I admire Moutinho's defensive work (as already said) but he has no influence further up the pitch.

Neves had a poor first half with numerous stray balls, and for a player that doesn't score or assist or even take free kicks anymore he needs to get that right. Better second half but not MOTM as someone said. Neto, Coady and Saiss at least had better games in what was really more of a decent team performance than anything.
There's an element of mischief to it :D (would you believe it) but I still don't buy it as a narrative. I'll happily accept they're not the combination for every match, much as it's no longer 2018 and we can't play exactly the same as we did then, but they absolutely *can* play together still.

Defensively I thought they were both outstanding last night.

The Neves on free kicks thing is weird, he ceded control of one of them to Neto I think a couple of games ago. Confidence? Who knows but I do know that Saiss isn't scoring from there, bless him.

Silva was bought in as 'an expectation of a quick footballing return' ......did they?
As for his cost, personally I don't really care what players cost, as long as we can afford it and I'll trust Fosun on that.
I don't think he was brought in to do the job he's now expected to, but neither was anybody else so I can see it from both sides.

I'm the same with the transfer fee - he didn't choose it, he was signed for the longer term etc, but he is the clubs record signing and the club chose to do that deal in full knowledge of that, a level of expectation is inevitable.

FWIW from what I've seen (Villa aside still not watching games live, just highlights) his control, touch and hold up play have impressed me, his finishing not so much.

There was one piece of hold up play with Sanchez right on him that was tremendous. There's a lot there to work with, we have to persevere with it. I do want another striker next month but not someone who's going to condemn him to the bench for 2+ years. He's already improving more and more as he goes along.

I do want another striker next month but not someone who's going to condemn him to the bench for 2+ years. He's already improving more and more as he goes along.
Agreed and that’s why I’d be looking at a player that can play centrally or wide.

You have though, although the condemnation of Adama has been over zealous some of the time on the whole it's 99% totally justified (in my opinion) yet you have taken it upon yourself to defend him regardless of his contribution to the team being less than zero, is that not the same ?

I really haven't. I've no problem with different takes on the team or players, but I'll usually be motivated to speak up if I feel someone is being given a free ride or not being held to a similar standard as others.

Disagreeing with criticism is not the same as saying criticism should stop, that's the difference, and DW has since acknowledged his mischievousness in this anyway ;)

I don't have an agenda vis a vis our relationship with JM or care for that matter if we field 11 Portuguese players. I also think the policy has been used astutely and successfully. As a standalone though, this one doesn't quite sit right, that's all. More than happy to be proven completely wrong though.

There's an element of mischief to it :D (would you believe it) but I still don't buy it as a narrative. I'll happily accept they're not the combination for every match, much as it's no longer 2018 and we can't play exactly the same as we did then, but they absolutely *can* play together still.

Defensively I thought they were both outstanding last night.

The Neves on free kicks thing is weird, he ceded control of one of them to Neto I think a couple of games ago. Confidence? Who knows but I do know that Saiss isn't scoring from there, bless him.

I still think that they're both way too talented to devolve into a pair of luxury standard DMs in games, I don't believe we can afford to have little or no threat or attacking impetus from the centre of the pitch.

Maybe it's more acceptable with four at the back and an extra central attacker in front of them. I still think 1 + Otasowie and the other to come on as sub is the way to explore for now

Must admit I didn't notice any lack of communication between Rui/Saiss/Semedo? Don't think anyone though Silva was bought in as 'an expectation of a quick footballing return' ......did they?
Semedo put one out for a corner last night when Rui was behind him ready to collect. Saiss and Rui got in each other's way last game and also gave away a corner. There have been a few other times of late , Semedo and Boly as I recall where there appears to be a breakdown with Rui.

The corner at the end where Semedo headed it out when a call would have told him he had other better options.

I'm the same with the transfer fee - he didn't choose it, he was signed for the longer term etc, but he is the clubs record signing and the club chose to do that deal in full knowledge of that, a level of expectation is inevitable.

This is how I feel. I think Fabio already has some lovely elements to his game and I'm more than happy for him to start until we (hopefully) get someone in January who can give him the odd rest, but I don't think anyone mentioning his transfer fee should be instantly shot down.

The club made the choice to spend that amount on a single player for the Raul backup we needed, and although they couldn't have forseen his injury, that's what back-ups are for. They didn't also sign an older bench option who was more likely to be thrown in when Raul couldn't play, they fully went in on just Fabio.

This 'buying for the 2022/23 season' strategy is bold and may well pay dividends, but it's also something with an element of risk and harm to the here and now. The club can't just be exempt from any scrutiny of their choices

This is how I feel. I think Fabio already has some lovely elements to his game and I'm more than happy for him to start until we (hopefully) get someone in January who can give him the odd rest, but I don't think anyone mentioning his transfer fee should be instantly shot down.

The club made the choice to spend that amount on a single player for the Raul backup we needed, and although they couldn't have forseen his injury, that's what back-ups are for. They didn't also sign an older bench option who was more likely to be thrown in when Raul couldn't play, they fully went in on just Fabio.

This 'buying for the 2022/23 season' strategy is bold and may well pay dividends, but it's also something with an element of risk and harm to the here and now. The club can't just be exempt from any scrutiny of their choices
I like the look of Fabio for the future. He is not the finisher we need now though. If you have a leaking roof you don’t buy new doors before repairing the roof. We knew there was a lack of Raul back up. We did not recruit a back up as Fabio is nothing like him in style. So it’s one for the club to take on the chin and rectify in January. Repair the roof. It’s raining

Back