• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-3 Liverpool: Verdict Thread

Really enjoyed the first half we looked pacy and potent.

But I said at half time Klopp will change it and we'll see how O'Neill responds.

Woefully as it transpired, worryingly our second half performances against Brighton, Palace and now Liverpool have been rank, with his subs leaving us a panicky disjointed mess.

Some bright spots though. Neto looks back to his best, Gomes covered every blade of grass, and Bellegarde looks very promising.

Gutted to see Ait Nouri go off, he again had an excellent game against Salah, much like a couple of years ago.

Like then, as soon as he went off Salah affected the game.

Big game next week.

Positives were Sa except for his clearance for the goal, Semedo, Ait Nouri, Bellegarde, Gomes, Neto, and the incredibly frustrating Cunha. Dawson and Kilman and Lemina were ok too.

As everyone says, subs changed the game for both teams. Great first half, poor second half when we barely got out of our half.

Really hard to draw conclusions.

I get beating Liverpool is a big ask on the face of it, but it's not as simple as saying we need to win the games against the beatable teams as that rarely happens for any team in such a "on paper" way, its the unexpected and surprise results that usually keep a team up.

My main issue with O'Neil seems to be that when we go defensive we have always conceded so far. Under Nuno we had a strength and resolve when doing that, so far I see the opposite.

Btw how wank are the pies at Wolves now, like babbie food.
And the bottles have stopped, beer was on tap, so queues were massive and many didn’t get back for the second half before it was 1:1……we’re just a bizarre club atm🤦‍♂️

I get beating Liverpool is a big ask on the face of it, but it's not as simple as saying we need to win the games against the beatable teams as that rarely happens for any team in such a "on paper" way, its the unexpected and surprise results that usually keep a team up.

My main issue with O'Neil seems to be that when we go defensive we have always conceded so far. Under Nuno we had a strength and resolve when doing that, so far I see the opposite.

You’re right nevertheless the quality of defenders we had was far better Boly, Coady, Saiss and Johnny at his best completely outstrips what we’ve now got.

I think you can sense in a game (against whoever, apart from City probably) when points are on offer, and we have to learn to take them, or we'll be dragged into serious trouble.

We played well enough in the first half to at least get a point out of yesterday, even if we accept Liverpool were going to improve.

Game management definitely needs to get better, being regularly easy to beat never ends well

You’re right nevertheless the quality of defenders we had was far better Boly, Coady, Saiss and Johnny at his best completely outstrips what we’ve now got.

You missed out Doc 😉

I agree, although the way we set up helped too (especially Coady)

We were generally defensively reliable, sometimes at the expense of providing an attacking threat and ultimately that was what was Nuno's downfall. I think we look like we have some attacking potential now but defensively we are an absolute car crash. Dawson is solid, but old and has the odd stinker. Semedo is decent but has 1 game in 3 where he melts down. RAN/Hugo are interchangeably inconsistent. And Kilman is a liability and responsible for more defensive mistakes than the rest of the defence put together. With this defence we are legitimately in the conversation for the worst defence in the division.

Positives were Sa except for his clearance for the goal, Semedo, Ait Nouri, Bellegarde, Gomes, Neto, and the incredibly frustrating Cunha. Dawson and Kilman and Lemina were ok too.

As everyone says, subs changed the game for both teams. Great first half, poor second half when we barely got out of our half.

Really hard to draw conclusions.
I disagree, I think there are some clear conclusions that can be drawn…not just from one game but across them all so far.

We continue to be impotent in front of goal.
We concede goals easily, particularly when opponents push on and overload our defence.
We make far too many errors.
We don’t play well for 90 minutes, so any positives in our play are undone by the negatives.

I don’t have much optimism that this is going to change.

We had a decent coach, but he quit on us for reasons. Now we have some guy that Bournemouth sacked.
Exactly whose side beat Liverpool last season, hopefully come the end of October beginning of November they’ll be another Lopetegui out there somewhere.

We were generally defensively reliable, sometimes at the expense of providing an attacking threat and ultimately that was what was Nuno's downfall. I think we look like we have some attacking potential now but defensively we are an absolute car crash. Dawson is solid, but old and has the odd stinker. Semedo is decent but has 1 game in 3 where he melts down. RAN/Hugo are interchangeably inconsistent. And Kilman is a liability and responsible for more defensive mistakes than the rest of the defence put together. With this defence we are legitimately in the conversation for the worst defence in the division.

I think we were more counter attacking as a side and had genuine quality to exploit sides which we did on a regular basis.
Nuno problems were trying to evolve the way we played then reverting to a pragmatic type post xmas in 2021 to ensure we didn’t get dragged into any trouble. The same blue print was carried on by Lage the season after.

Exactly whose side beat Liverpool last season, hopefully come the end of October beginning of November they’ll be another Lopetegui out there somewhere.
We aren't getting another manager of Lopetegui's profile ever again under Fosun and certainly not this season. It'll be someone else with O'Neill's although probably with more (dubious) experience. I think we'd have to lose the next 3 before it was even a conversation as that takes you to the second International break. That'd be won 1 lost 7, not convinced even that would be enough, depends how the fans react to losing to Villa

Last edited:
My hope too, but the confidence I had this time last year that necessity would dictate we’d have to appoint someone good has, of course, gone. The employer has literally just sacked the archetype we want and even before they appointed him they tried for Beale. They’ll likely just go get another GON and hope this one works. That’s before you consider a bunch of potential appointments who might have been attracted to Wolves a year ago who quite rightly won’t touch us now.

We aren't getting another manager of Lopetegui's profile ever again under Fosun and certainly not this season. It'll be someone else with O'Neill's although probably with more (dubious) experience. I think we'd have to lose the next 3 before it was even a conversation as that takes you to the second International break. That'd be won 1 lost 7, not convinced even that would be enough, depends who the fans react to losing to Villa
That would be enough, no way he would survive that, no manager does.

I think if you'd have let Klopp control the Wolves subs he'd have made the same ones as Gary O'Neil did.

Completely hamstrung by the managers stupidity. We need to get rid of him as soon as possible.
This. And because of said failure of manager those that brought him in (Hobbs and Shi) should also pack their bags and leave.

Draw does him no good next week either especially in the likelihood we lose the next two home games. Also the culmination of all this being a Villa home defeat and 4 straight home losses will turn the crowd. Win at Luton and he buys himself time probably heading towards the November break.
Looking at the fixtures between October-November break Bournemouth (a), Newcastle (h) Sheff Utd (a) Spurs (h) he’ll need at the bare minimum 2 wins also to keep us at a ppg ratio. If he keeps getting duff home results regardless of opponents it’ll really fuck off the home fans.

I think we'll beat Luton.

We'll have a decent period of attacking play and they won't have the quality to keep us at bay the way better teams do.

They'll also see the game as a chance to get points themselves so will have to come out and play

O'Neil on Kalajdzic, 8th September:

"He's had a tough spell last year and he's working extremely hard every day to get back to a level that would allow him to be thought about as someone who could play 90 minutes every week.
"He's not quite there yet, but that's to be expected. He's working hard and gets some of his extras done when we need him to. He's a good member of the group and he'll be important.
"Sasa is an option to start, but with the work he's had to do I'd be surprised if he still looked fresh after 70, 75 minutes.
"But that doesn't mean he isn't considered for a starting role, it just means we'd need something lined-up if he started to tire, which would be expected."

So you cannot tell me he couldn't have come on after an hour yesterday.

Back