• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-4 Brighton: Verdict Thread

I should be clear, I think; my statement of "we have quality" does not preclude my previous stance that Fosun spending absolutely fucking nothing this summer is indefensible, even for a gullible line-biter like me.
I know, I'm just making those other points to the audience :)

Well, I don't think the team is shit and unlikeable and I don't think O'Neil is a moron, I just haven't seen any evidence that's he's good enough. All that's is realism, nothing to do with putting positive or negative spins on anything.

I think shutting down criticism because it's 'negative' is nonsense. Like we all have to grin and gurn and spin everything into something fluffy.
Yeah I do appreciate this, and I should be careful about coming off like I'm "shutting down" the negative.

There was a good performance in there for 15 minutes of the first half and we really should have been in front at half time.

However the first fifteen of the second half is something we're far more likely to see on a regular basis from this team.

Hwang being our most clinical player going forward probably tells us all we need to know about our recruitment and the trouble we may well be in.

Brighton are a superbly managed team designed to pick apart weaker badly managed teams.

They did that extremely well for 15 minutes in each half and then let us huff and puff for the rest.

Mitoma's individual brilliance was stunning to watch mainly watching us clutch at his shadow as he drifted past all of our players.

The rest of the goals is De Zerbi working out where our gaps and weaknesses were and exploiting them.

We have a terrible manager.

We never beat Brighton. So it proved again. They were a class apart from us today. Their pressing game was impressive and we just weren't good enough to beat it as time and time again we gave the ball away. Their goals were clinical. Slide rule precision in some cases.

Nunes - I despair. Just not mentally ready for this standard of football IMO.

Must win next week to stop the collywobbles setting in.

Said it on the match thread but what is Nunes even doing there. I could kinda understand if the player on the floor was face up, having a go at him. He's just pushed someone over and then gone in for more. Dingbat.

You weren’t shutting down anything, don’t let them do it to you….

Well, you're wrong. It's not engaging with the criticism, it's (however good the intention) smothering it with the 'negativity' blanket.

If someone disagrees, pick apart the point or present an alternative, don't just use negativity to shame it.

I don't want to shut Alan down, I'm actually engaging with him.

What's your take on everything?

Dejavu for me, I’ve watched that sort of performance post Nuno pre Lopetegui so many times, I knew as soon as they scored we would lose.
Nunes obviously knew he’d been booked so that was so unprofessional.
Dyche ball next week so we’ll probably get dicked again.

Brighton are a superbly managed team designed to pick apart weaker badly managed teams.

They did that extremely well for 15 minutes in each half and then let us huff and puff for the rest.

The rest of the goals is De Zerbi working out where our gaps and weaknesses were and exploiting them.

This is the nail on the head.

This is the Premier League, mediocrity will be found out, and it's why gambling on a novice is such a huge long shot.

Most PL clubs will have periods of decent play in a game, difference between the poor teams and the rest is they'll almost always come out of those spells with nothing to show for it, then get punished when the pendulum swings.

I don't think GON is incompetent, but does he have that little extra about him to make a difference in games?

Almost never leave early but opted for an earlier train. Overheard a fan on mobile on way back and his description summed it up perfectly. Shower of shit. Silva and Nunes only ones to get any credit. Their last two goals came from balls whipped across the box first time. I lost count of how many times Neto had the chance to do the same and cut back which summed up our complete lack of ideas going forwards. Brighton were very good but with just a little application in centre of defence we might have given them a game. Have Napoli signed a centre back yet…?

Edit. Nunes red - just Silva vaguely ok then.
Play Neto on the left, he'd be far more likely to whip in early balls, rather than checking back on to his stronger foot.

If you take risks, you need to score'​

Wolves 1-4 Brighton
514c110c-2808-41bb-a772-18d0afc19a85.jpg

Wolves
Wolves manager Gary O'Neil to BBC Match of the Day: "I think we are very early in the process; we knew there would be a lot of things to fix. There wouldn't have been a change made if things were going well.

The reality distorting, blame avoiding, Lampard esque statements have already started. He's done. Just a matter of time.

Back