• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - 0 Derby: Verdict Thread

I watched the game on TV, and it sounded like there was a great atmosphere.

Why was Ince getting booed?

Because of his Dad? Or just because he's as unlikeable as his Dad...?

Didn't catch that.... still stand by my post :D

Sorry Frank but the rules of the game disgree with you. The Derby player was only in a position where he would have had a goal scoring opportunity if he could have got to the ball first. Without being sure of that the ref can't give it.

There's also no such thing in the rules as "the last defender" as you should well know.

The laws of the game do agree with me, but I have no wish to clog up the verdict thread with refereeing discussion, so I will leave it there.

One thing I noticed, on a couple of occasions when Sako lost possession, he tracked back to try to get the ball back. I have read that at times he can appear a little lazy, that certainly wasn't the case last night.

Absolutely brilliant night at Molineux, the crowd was immense! How did it sound on the telly because it seemed bloody noisy in the South Bank.
A very good defensive performance restricting Derby to long range efforts and we nullified them well despite their 20 minutes of keep ball after we scored. Richard Stearman really has developed into a brilliant Central defender and his partnership with Batth is really solid.
Fantastic session before and after the game and many thanks to Lycan, Boozad, WolfiePhill, Machin and NWW for the company. Onwards and upwards and bring on Forest
Seeing it on the tv, I was gutted to miss it mate!
Sounded like a boosted version of the atmosphere tuesday night.
I watched the game on TV, and it sounded like there was a great atmosphere.

Why was Ince getting booed?
Because he's a monumental bellend?

Sako being lazy is a myth. He can drift in and out of games, but had always been keen to do the defensive side. In his first season here it was more a hindrance than a help, since then it has improved considerably

Sako being lazy is a myth. He can drift in and out of games, but had always been keen to do the defensive side. In his first season here it was more a hindrance than a help, since then it has improved considerably

Agree. It was absolute rubbish that Don Goodman was saying. As you said, it was a hindrance as he gave away two or three penalties that season! I prefer him being able to attacking and entertain, but he always helps his full back.

Similar with van la Parra - I don't think he is lazy at all defensively - just not very good defending in front of his full back. He gave away countless free kicks in the defending third with poorly time challenges. Possibly trying to hard after Jackett's comments the other day.

Pleased that dislikeable, cocky little prick Tom Ince didn't score against us.

The only negative I can take from last nights result/game is that Tommy K can't catch or kick the ball. Yes, he's a good shot stopper - and he's a great back up for a club at our level; but the sooner big Carl Ikeme is back, the better.

I felt we were very lucky to win 2-0. Aside from being more prolific in front of goal and getting the run of the ball at the other end, we wouldn't have been able to complain had we lost. Derby had more possession, more shots on/off target - and were robbed of a goal to put themselves ahead (shocking decision from the ref). However, at this point of the season you take any luck that comes our way and get out of there with the three points, which is what we did. Kenny's substitutions were at exactly the right time and really helped relieve some of the pressure we were under. Dicko looked pissed off at being the man to come off but he has to understand it's for the good of the team. VLP was excellent when he came on and really gave us that outlet to have a breather at the back. Sako probably had his best game in a Wolves shirt for a long time aswell. Rather then blowing hot and cold, which is his most frustrating trait, he worked hard going forward and tracking back and was consistent.

It's nice to sit back and see what unfolds today knowing we've already done our bit.

Great to meet up with Darlo, WolfiePhil and Lycan to start off an excellent night, wish I could have stayed around after the game for a few. Best time I've had at Molineux for years too, the South Bank was well and truly buzzing.

'Your dad's alright, but you're a cunt' to Tom Ince had me laughing til I went to bed. Derby's support was zombified.

On the Batth incident, in the Southbank i thought straight away that it was a red card once the ref had blown his whistle but after seeing it again i don't even think it's a foul. He tries to pull Bent back but just brushes him and Bent goes to ground far to easy like he did in box with McDonald behind him.

I actually thought the McDonald challenge was a possible penalty watching it live in the ground. You see replays and you can see how Bent just goes down very easily. There WAS contact though, and so if I am saying it was a penalty for us on Tuesday then I have to be consistent and say we got away with one there

On the Batth incident, in the Southbank i thought straight away that it was a red card once the ref had blown his whistle but after seeing it again i don't even think it's a foul. He tries to pull Bent back but just brushes him and Bent goes to ground far to easy like he did in box with McDonald behind him.

I also wondered whether the ref wasn't actually sure whether it was a foul or not, and took the safe option of giving the free kick but nothing else. On the telly it was clear that the whistle had blown before Ince put the ball in the net.

I thought Derby were the better footballing team. They always had a player near to the player who had the ball and there players linked up well going forward. They always had options.
We have a central defence that sweat blood for the Wolves shirt. So, when Derby got to our last line of defence, Stears or DB were there throwing their bodies in where it matters. We depend on speed and an early ball going forward. Many times we find our wing players isolated, maybe this is because of the speed we break, but unlike Derby we didn't break as a unit. However our forward line are lethal and would put fear in to any Championship defence, because of their speed and power.
I thought that in the second half, it is true Derby were passing the ball about and it looked pretty, but I think this is when we are most dangerous. They moved more men forward, meanining that when we did get the ball, we were an instant threat on the break, with our power and pace. For this tactic to work, you need a strong central defence, a player like KM, who has the vision for that early ball and then a fast powerful forward line, which we have. So really, the more they came forward in numbers, the more likely we were to cut them open with a quick break.
KJ made the right substitutions at the right time. The South Bank were Fantastic. Proud to be a Wolves fan.

Thought the highlights and commentary on the FLS were pathetic. They couldn't have been more gutted about Derby losing. No highlights of the Sako miss, Afobe's volley or the header off the line but we get an extended highlight of McLaren throwing a tantrum over a throw in.

I think Bent has dived for the free kick so McLaren can run for it as far as I'm concerned.

Manish also got the line up wrong saying that the only change was VLP in for Henry.

Don't watch the FL show anymore waste of time, I usually watch the goals on goals express and the FL72 on sky sports.

There is no point. Most clubs probably give longer highlights on their YouTube channel or football league player. They should just do football league show online where you can pick the highlights of a game individually

I watch it to see the goals of all the matches but usually see better ones of our games elsewhere

Five minutes of highlights here

Back