• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-3 Brighton: Verdict Thread.

Perhaps it's harsh, but I don't mean attitude, it's more mental weakness than lack of effort.

I think scoring or conceding 90+ min goals reveals a lot about the mentality of a team, thought the same after the Newcastle game
I agree, it's not effort that's the issue, it's making the right decisions under pressure.

This probably comes from a lack of confidence.

We’re fucked, Man U have got the smallest defender in the history of central defenders but there’s no way Brighton would have scored that second goal if he had been the marker.
I only hope that the new Manager has a clause in his contract with regard to getting us out of the Championship.

Couldn't fault the effort. We are at least showing some fight now. It's all very disjointed though and we're still reliant on 'moments' - even allowing for current absences.

Sa - don't think he could have done anything with the goals, couple of good saves second half

Semedo - like he'd watched Jonny vs Leicester and said 'hold my beer'. Terrible for the whole 45, outjumped for the equaliser and looked a nailed on red to me. Then that kills any realistic prospect of winning the game. Thanks mate

Collins - still looking more Stearman than anything. Throwing yourself around might look good but it's because you're out of position. Doesn't look very good on the ball right now

Kilman - still nowhere near his normal level, passing is way off and getting beaten too easily

Bueno - does sometimes look iffy one on one but generally comfortable enough. We know he can cross a ball, load that box when he gets it out wide

Bouba - lovely ball to Guedes for the first. Covered a load of ground and pressed well

Moutinho - probably the best he's played since Spurs away. We do ask an awful lot of him though considering his age

Neves - standard

Guedes - of course, easily his best game so far. Like a fair few looked lost in the first 10 then got his goal. Well taken, could have taken the easy option and gone down but didn't. Looked to get far more involved afterwards than he has done. Got to build on that

Podence - did OK first half and sacrificed

Hwang - tried hard. He isn't very good technically at all and we know this

Adama - standard Adama really

Other subs - no time

We're going to need 25 points minimum under Lopetegui, maybe 30. There's some stuff to work with but he has a number of immediate questions to answer as soon as he starts.

Anyone thought family issues could be playing on Killmans mind, affecting his game, he’s Russian/ Ukrainian could have family in Kherson or somewhere else under attack.
Just putting that out there as a maybe for his poor form

Such a weird game. I’m not even going to mention the second half as the red card killed any chance to realistically compete.

But the first half we were deliberately not pressing but still playing a high ish line. Brighton we’re passing it round at snails pace but even with our anti press and high line we’re then able to pass through us and start attacks. Or just go over the top and be in behind.

Saying that we somehow ended up scoring 2 goals without really doing anything. Problem is we’re not remotely solid. None of the players who played at the back today are good enough. But an academy kid is the best of the lot. The midfield isn’t controlling games and then we have a collection of bang average (generous) forwards.

This isn’t a good squad. The manager can get more out of them but without some quality additions then it’s going to be a battle to finish 17th.

The defence was a shambles today, BHA looked a level above at times.
We did well to fight back and get ahead then in 5 minutes Semedo destroys any hard work we did.
Having said that even if it was 11 v 11 then I still think we’d have lost. Countless times in the first half Brighton got in behind us.
Some fight definitely but that’s not going to be enough even with JP inbound and his best efforts he’s been left with to much to do.
This is the product of allowing one of the worst managers we’ve ever had stay in charge as long as he did gets me angry just thinking about it.
22 in 14 conceded is a disaster if you only manage 8 goals yourselves.

I don’t think this is a poor squad. We’ve managed to sign players in key positions and still end up unbalanced though. Centre backs need some experience/leadership around them and we don’t have a fit striker.

They mainly just need a good coach though

Positives
The vast majority were up for it, it should be the minimum required but hasn't always been

Linked to the above Guedes had a decent first half

We scored a 'normal' goal from open play with a great through ball and calm finish

Collins is starting to take on a leadership role which is good to see

Negatives
Even before the sending off Brighton always looked to have an extra man, Trossard showed how you play the false 9 with the CMs not tracking him properly and Collins not knowing whether to come or go. We also ball watch a hell of a lot, surprised when players have the temerity to move.

The way we ask or the way our full backs play. A lot of chatter from some on here and particularly on the radio coming home about moving back to a back 5. If Coady was still here I think it'd be worthy of debate but putting an inexperienced Gomes or Mosquera alongside Kilman and Collins isn't going to fix anything. What we need to do is play with a flat 4. Bueno and particularly Semedo are too high up the pitch for a team that is sloppy in possession and neither Podence or Guedes fill in behind. When we lose the ball there is acres of space in behind them which either pulls the centre half out of place or leaves them with plenty of time to pick out the cross.

Speaking of which we can't stop a cross, standing a yard off the man isn't doing your job

Kilman's confidence is shot, can't take him out of the team at the moment, but needs a massive cuddlle during the WC. There was one ball out to Bueno that just needed lifting over their player, but he was too scared to make it.

Semedo, cba to elaborate

VAR, not seen it back, don't even care if it's the correct decision, that's not how I want football to be

Graham Scott..wow

Let's drop the unlucky crap. We were plucky, not unlucky. We were architects of our own downfall.

This side needs more than a new manager it needs at least 3 new first team players at right back, centre forward and probably centre half. Even then we'd be gambling on one of our wide forwards coming good

I went today and was pleased with the attitude shown, if the ability wasn't quite there.

The most worrying thing is the defensive regression. 7 goals conceded in the last two home games, almost all down to silly mistakes. The entire back 4 look like they've got at least one rick in them every game at the minute, and positionally are constantly leaving gaps. When you have a side with wingers hugging the touchline like Brighton today it was really noticeable in the first half. They sorted it out better in the second half today but we could have conceded 3 or 4 in the first half just by them driving a huge barge through the holes in our defence.

The positive is that Lopetegui is a defensive minded manager and should have the tactical nous to organise and drill into them a better shape over the World Cup period. Other than Semedo who might go, he'll have the first choice back four to work with for several weeks to improve things. Because bloody hell he needs to or we are going down.

We've managed to undo all of the positives of Wolves from the Nuno reign and add nothing. Where we previously looked structured, organised and gritty we now look disorganised, huge gaps and a total lack of moral.

Semedo had an absolute shocker, I'm defence for Collins - he was constantly trying to coach and motivate Semedo.

I don’t think this is a poor squad. We’ve managed to sign players in key positions and still end up unbalanced though. Centre backs need some experience/leadership around them and we don’t have a fit striker.

They mainly just need a good coach though
It’s not a good Squad becuse if we sign zero players I don’t think we stay up. Being unbalanced is a poor squad. Having a few good individuals on paper is not enough. For example we’d have had Jonny and Semedo as good on paper but they are both taking it in turns to see who can be more shit.

It’s not a good Squad becuse if we sign zero players I don’t think we stay up. Being unbalanced is a poor squad. Having a few good individuals on paper is not enough. For example we’d have had Jonny and Semedo as good on paper but they are both taking it in turns to see who can be more shit.
Agree with this. When you read the names from a list it doesn't sound a bad squad. When you look at how most have them have regressed it's a mess.

There are issues in pretty much every position. I am not sure how Lopetegui is going to sort this out because there are so many issues to fix.

If I am a manager coming into this team with at least say on transfers, then CB is actually my first priority, it would be wasteful getting a team scoring when we defend like we do, so I am going there. We could have got Botman and didn't commit to the cost, instead we went cheaper and are paying for it.

I personally havent been as high on Collins as others, but let him develop either out the team or with a better CB there as the main defender for him and Kilman to play with.

We’ve got some talented players no doubt but the squad balance isn’t right therefore it makes it a below average squad. I think JP has a fighting chance of getting us 17th no more. Regression from us compared to BHA have advanced is starting.

We’ve got some talented players no doubt but the squad balance isn’t right therefore it makes it a below average squad. I think JP has a fighting chance of getting us 17th no more. Regression from us compared to BHA have advanced is starting.
Who is JP?

Back