• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-3 Brighton: Verdict Thread.

As a theoretical thing, would the Brighton chap have been sent off if Guedes went down

..........................Sa.............
New......New......Collins....Bueno/RAN
.................Neves.....Nunes.........
Adama............Podence.............Guedes
...........................New................

Neto to come in for one of the wide forwards in Feb if he looks like his old self. It's certainly not a given.

Nope, he was going for the ball (badly), just a pen.

The only question on the red for me - and I haven't seen it back yet - was is the touch taking it through to Sa. If not then it's just a red.

He properly bottled a challenge 10 minutes before that too, he was just 0/10 throughout. I think he actually fucks up in possession on OUR first goal too and Bouba rescues it.

Couldn't fault the effort. We are at least showing some fight now. It's all very disjointed though and we're still reliant on 'moments' - even allowing for current absences.

Sa - don't think he could have done anything with the goals, couple of good saves second half

Semedo - like he'd watched Jonny vs Leicester and said 'hold my beer'. Terrible for the whole 45, outjumped for the equaliser and looked a nailed on red to me. Then that kills any realistic prospect of winning the game. Thanks mate

Collins - still looking more Stearman than anything. Throwing yourself around might look good but it's because you're out of position. Doesn't look very good on the ball right now

Kilman - still nowhere near his normal level, passing is way off and getting beaten too easily

Bueno - does sometimes look iffy one on one but generally comfortable enough. We know he can cross a ball, load that box when he gets it out wide

Bouba - lovely ball to Guedes for the first. Covered a load of ground and pressed well

Moutinho - probably the best he's played since Spurs away. We do ask an awful lot of him though considering his age

Neves - standard

Guedes - of course, easily his best game so far. Like a fair few looked lost in the first 10 then got his goal. Well taken, could have taken the easy option and gone down but didn't. Looked to get far more involved afterwards than he has done. Got to build on that

Podence - did OK first half and sacrificed

Hwang - tried hard. He isn't very good technically at all and we know this

Adama - standard Adama really

Other subs - no time

We're going to need 25 points minimum under Lopetegui, maybe 30. There's some stuff to work with but he has a number of immediate questions to answer as soon as he starts.
DW as normal spot on, again and not defending him, but HHC played well again at Dunk and Webster, but had absolutely no support.
What Semedo is doing at the moment is anyone’s guess!

..........................Sa.............
New......New......Collins....Bueno/RAN
.................Neves.....Nunes.........
Adama............Podence.............Guedes
...........................New................

Neto to come in for one of the wide forwards in Feb if he looks like his old self. It's certainly not a given.

Unless the centre forward is the next R9 then we'd probably score about the same amount so that side would go down.

Unless the centre forward is the next R9 then we'd probably score about the same amount so that side would go down.
Kind of my point, but add 3 players which i think is ambitious already and pick a better side?

Either do away with a 10 or sign a genuine one. Then a striker.

Good managers can make shit teams defend well, what they can’t do is make them score goals.

Nope, he was going for the ball (badly), just a pen.

The only question on the red for me - and I haven't seen it back yet - was is the touch taking it through to Sa. If not then it's just a red.

He properly bottled a challenge 10 minutes before that too, he was just 0/10 throughout. I think he actually fucks up in possession on OUR first goal too and Bouba rescues it.
Just seen the 3 minute highlights, the last touch takes the ball towards goal. He'd have had a one on one from a tight angle which you'd say Sa is probably likely to save, but that's not the law.

Disappointed with Bueno after watching the 3rd, would have liked to see him throwing himself at that. Collins is also poor, has to come out to him, but no need to go to ground

Last edited:
Looking at our defence today, this season, why on God's earth did we get rid of Boly and Saiss? Kilman is half the player he was last season. Collins is raw at best. Surely keep some experienced heads alongside them and we'd be better off. As for what's happened on the right side, with the car crashes that are Jonny and Semedo (who took things to a new low today) I despair. Yes we showed some spirit in the second half but the pedestrian nature of our start was unforgiveable. We're at home and we start like that! Lopetegui's got one hell of a job to do. Gonna need to earn his mild n scratchins for sure, cos he aint got any tapas in Wolvo! Only positives for me were Bueno, Neves, B.Traore and Guedes. Joao is finished and Conor did enough to deserve a start next match and against Arsenal. Finally, I have to say that The Seagulls were more than half decent today. So many lovely patterns of play and players comfortable with the ball all over the park. Potter sure as hell left them in a fine state.

I think Ronan took one wide free kick (went nowhere) and made two short passes. He didn't really do anything.

First time I think I've seen him in a Wolves shirt since Oct 2017 and Man City away in the League Cup.

Just feels at the moment that teams can score against us too easily, the defence is struggling from a lack of voice and experience in there. They were discussing on the radio the switch to a back 4 where we need full backs but we have only wing backs who were brought in to play that role.

There are signs of improvement and I feel like we are getting more bodies forward and looking a bit more threatening on the attack.

We absolutely need proper leadership and organisation which Lop will bring. My hope is that since leaving Sevilla, bearing in mind he obviously felt like he may be coming here in the end, he has been watching all of our games and identifying issues and formulating a plan for what and who he needs to rectify the situation.

Guedes had his best game today and good to see him notch a goal. We could and should have got something today which is frustrating as I can see nothing other than an Arsenal victory next week. Semedo was dire prior to his sending off.

Either do away with a 10 or sign a genuine one. Then a striker.

Good managers can make shit teams defend well, what they can’t do is make them score goals.
Nah, that's bollocks.

Our players man for man are better than Brighton's and De Zerbi has them moving and scoring at will.

Lopetegui, from his Sevilla tactics, likes to operate with a high press and fast movement off the ball.

We will need a CF for his system to work properly but I expect us to have better movement, better defensive position and tactical traps as well as making the best out of the players ability in front of goal.

What we suffer from most of all is having Lg2 level managers at the club for the last 6 months.

A proper, better manager will have us safe and scoring goals.

Nah, that's bollocks.

Our players man for man are better than Brighton's and De Zerbi has then moving and scoring at will.

I'm not having that. I don't think any of ours get in their 11 today. Not even Neves as he doesn't suit the style of play.

It wasn’t terrible, apart from the bits that were terrible…but it wasn’t very good and we were some distance short of Brighton in all areas.

Bueno had a decent game but the rest of the defending was poor for the goals and Brighton found it easy to play through us, around us and with us.

Best displays I have seen from B Traore and Guedes.

Hwang isn’t good enough at anything.

Moutinho has no influence on games.

Just make it stop.

I'm not having that. I don't think any of ours get in their 11 today. Not even Neves as he doesn't suit the style of play.
Neves will look good in any side and is a much better player than MacAllister.

Guedes is better than Solly March on every level, as is Podence. Sa is better than Sanchez as was shown a number of times.

Lallana and Moutinho are similar. Trossard is as much a centre forward as Hwang.

The main difference is the manager. By a country mile.

Just feels at the moment that teams can score against us too easily, the defence is struggling from a lack of voice and experience in there. They were discussing on the radio the switch to a back 4 where we need full backs but we have only wing backs who were brought in to play that role.
We were heavily linked to Craig Dawson in the last window and people scoffed at him (yes, I appreciate there were better defenders available but it’s where we were thanks to Jeff Shi & Scott Sellars). If we had signed him, I’d be picking him ahead of Kilman right now. Sometimes experience and an older head is actually needed.

Obviously the most sensible thing was to not fuck the club captain & current England international off for the football equivalent of small change found down the back of the sofa. Especially when it was done in favour of keeping a glorified PE teacher in charge.

Back