• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-3 Brighton: Verdict Thread.

We were heavily linked to Craig Dawson in the last window and people scoffed at him (yes, I appreciate there were better defenders available but it’s where we were thanks to Jeff Shi & Scott Sellars). If we had signed him, I’d be picking him ahead of Kilman right now. Sometimes experience and an older head is actually needed.

Obviously the most sensible thing was to not fuck the club captain & current England international off for the football equivalent of small change found down the back of the sofa. Especially when it was done in favour of keeping a glorified PE teacher in charge.
The PE teacher is still costing us points ‘from beyond the grave’. What a disastrous appointment he was!

First 20 they battered us, we pressed high and they picked us off, then to Davis's credit he stopped the high press and sat compact and stopped them playing through us.

For the rest of the half we actually played well and deserved the lead.

Looked at the red and it's harsh it was a foul and an awful challenge, but the area of the pitch wide outside the box, the ball played so far across he was never getting to the ball so was not a goal scoring opportunity.

If Guedes had gone down when he scored it would have been a red, March should have been sent off for an awful tackle, studs showing off the deck straight leg, Killman was too honest he should have taken a leaf out of Brighton's book and rolled round on the floor holding his leg.

Guedes had his best game for us.
A draw would have been a fair result unfortunately you don't always get what you deserve.

Our issues defensively are very much Right back and 2 central defenders that positionally are way off, the first goal there was a huge gap where Collins should have been.

Semedo and Johnny are awful players.
Lopetegui has to make us solid and hard to beat again, whilst the football is exciting to watch can we get back to boring 1 - 0 wins please.

Not much too add, nothing really, to all the thoughts already expressed. That’s the kind of opening line that makes you want to read on isn’t it?!

Except for… watching the highlights highlighted that my own decision making in the ground is as bad a Semedo’s, as, at the time, I couldn’t believe it was a clear goal scoring opportunity for the red. It was. So even the only emotion that animated me for the rest of the match, anger at the ref, turned out to be misplaced. The rest of the game was a continuation of the astonishing purgatory we’ve been inexplicably consigned to, with even the light at the end of the tunnel frustratingly distant. Meantime I’m left to get uselessly angry with fans getting unpleasantly angry with players let down by the shambles of our management. The entire last 6 half year has been astonishing. The only constructive comment I can think of is that, in his search for alternative revenue streams, perhaps Jeff could sell tickets to business students at MIT to come and look at a live case study in how to mismanage an organisation. They’d be selling plane loads of tickets.

Guedes was good though :)

Update: just read the post above and I really disagree. We never deserved to be in front and pretty much got played off the park I’m afraid.

Not much too add, nothing really, to all the thoughts already expressed. That’s the kind of opening line that makes you want to read on isn’t it?!

Except for… watching the highlights highlighted that my own decision making in the ground is as bad a Semedo’s, as, at the time, I couldn’t believe it was a clear goal scoring opportunity for the red. It was. So even the only emotion that animated me for the rest of the match, anger at the ref, turned out to be misplaced. The rest of the game was a continuation of the astonishing purgatory we’ve been inexplicably consigned to, with even the light at the end of the tunnel frustratingly distant. Meantime I’m left to get uselessly angry with fans getting unpleasantly angry with players let down by the shambles of our management. The entire last 6 half year has been astonishing. The only constructive comment I can think of is that, in his search for alternative revenue streams, perhaps Jeff could sell tickets to business students at MIT to come and look at a live case study in how to mismanage an organisation. They’d be selling plane loads of tickets.

Guedes was good though :)

Update: just read the post above and I really disagree. We never deserved to be in front and pretty much got played off the park I’m afraid.
First 20 no doubt they played us off the park deservedly took the lead and could have been 3 up, we tweaked a couple of things , no high press, sat deep let them have it at the back, but not giving easy out balls, all of a sudden no passes between the lines, no getting at us, we got the ball and played decent for 30 mins, then the red card and we battled well were disciplined compact, got really unlucky with the winner Neves wins the ball and it dropped for Gross who finished game over

First 20 they battered us, we pressed high and they picked us off, then to Davis's credit he stopped the high press and sat compact and stopped them playing through us.

Looked at the red and it's harsh it was a foul and an awful challenge, but the area of the pitch wide outside the box, the ball played so far across he was never getting to the ball so was not a goal scoring opportunity.

If Guedes had gone down when he scored it would have been a red, March should have been sent off for an awful tackle, studs showing off the deck straight leg, Killman was too honest he should have taken a leaf out of Brighton's book and rolled round on the floor holding his leg.

A draw would have been a fair result unfortunately you don't always get what you deserve.

Our issues defensively are very much Right back and 2 central defenders that positionally are way off, the first goal there was a huge gap where Collins should have been.

Lopetegui has to make us solid and hard to beat again, whilst the football is exciting to watch can we get back to boring 1 - 0 wins please.
Crazy talk to say Semedo and Jonny are awful players, they're just in awful form atm, it's possible of course Jonny won't ever recover after his injury problems. There is some way OTT comments about the quality of our players atm.

Watching the highlights on MotD this morning and Bueno has had a shocker on all 3 goals.

His positioning looked ok yesterday but clearly not. I'd like us to persevere with him but not at the expense of goals.

RAN just got off the pitch as quickly as possible. Stinking attitude from him but probably understandable given Bueno's performance.

At no point did we have any control over the game even when we took the lead it felt a matter of time before they’d equalise.
They looked distinctly better than us all over the pitch.
Lage legacy is creating a side that’s not fit for purpose defensively and mostly ineffective in attack.

Watching the highlights on MotD this morning and Bueno has had a shocker on all 3 goals.

His positioning looked ok yesterday but clearly not. I'd like us to persevere with him but not at the expense of goals.

RAN just got off the pitch as quickly as possible. Stinking attitude from him but probably understandable given Bueno's performance.
Bueno's performance in the first half was similar to Semedo's without the lowlights. Constantly too high up the field leaving acres of space in behind. I'm minded to think that's on the management given they were both guilty of it. Trying to overload with a team that can't keep the ball and no-one covering the space. Almost wing backs without the extra centre half, whilst the 3rd midfielder or wide forwards are not filling the space

On the third I can see why he went to the line rather than Gross, but I'd like to see him throw himself at the ball, even if it might be more performative than anything

I asked Lycan at the time in the ground if that was a red as it just looked clumsy to me seeing it live but he was certain it was a red and looking at it again he was right.

Brighton battered us for most of the game, easily with their movement, and we looked like a team set up with Lg2 tactics by Lg2 managers and stats wankers.

I have completed confidence that this collection of players will be hugely better under a proper manager with his own tactics

Bueno's performance in the first half was similar to Semedo's without the lowlights. Constantly too high up the field leaving acres of space in behind. I'm minded to think that's on the management given they were both guilty of it. Trying to overload with a team that can't keep the ball and no-one covering the space.

On the third I can see why he went to the line rather than Gross, but I'd like to see him throw himself at the ball, even if it might be more performative than anything
Definitely tactical to go as wide as possible but the lines taken Brighton easily cut out with their press.

If you're last man you always go to the ball as that's the immediate problem. Going to the line doesn't deal with that, it's a secondary action.

Crazy talk to say Semedo and Jonny are awful players, they're just in awful form atm, it's possible of course Jonny won't ever recover after his injury problems. There is some way OTT comments about the quality of our players atm.
They are shit, have been all fucking season

They are shit, have been all fucking season
They're not shit, that's a child's reaction.

I wouldn't be sad to see Semedo go as he's not an attacking full back that Lopetegui seems to favour.

Jonny is still a good player and I would like to see us get a FB in on loan in Jan then assess Bolla, Lembikissa and others in the summer.

The difference Trippier made to Newcastle last season can't be understated.

I asked Lycan at the time in the ground if that was a red as it just looked clumsy to me seeing it live but he was certain it was a red and looking at it again he was right.

Brighton battered us for most of the game, easily with their movement, and we looked like a team set up with Lg2 tactics by Lg2 managers and stats wankers.

I have completed confidence that this collection of players will be hugely better under a proper manager with his own tactics
It was a shit tackle would have been perfect on a rugby pitch.
In the middle of the pitch red all day long, where he was where the ball went the distance to get to the ball, it was a yellow.

I think the ref was worse than Semedo and that's saying something, the tackle by March from Sa' s poor pass to Killman now that was a red card he got away with it because Killman stayed up he should have gone down and rolled around a bit

They're not shit, that's a child's reaction.

I wouldn't be sad to see Semedo go as he's not an attacking full back that Lopetegui seems to favour.

Jonny is still a good player and I would like to see us get a FB in on loan in Jan then assess Bolla, Lembikissa and others in the summer.

The difference Trippier made to Newcastle last season can't be understated.
They can both get the fuck out of our club stealing a fucking wage, no effort jogging back, no jumping no fuck all pair of shit cunts

It was a shit tackle would have been perfect on a rugby pitch.
In the middle of the pitch red all day long, where he was where the ball went the distance to get to the ball, it was a yellow.

I think the ref was worse than Semedo and that's saying something, the tackle by March from Sa' s poor pass to Killman now that was a red card he got away with it because Killman stayed up he should have gone down and rolled around a bit
It's a good tackle, poor pass from Sa puts Max in trouble.

As for Semedo's red, you're the only person who thinks it's a yellow.

They can both get the fuck out of our club stealing a fucking wage, no effort jogging back, no jumping no fuck all pair of shit cunts

Given what Jonny has been through and how he has performed in the past I think your comments are disgraceful.

Back