• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-3 West Brom: Verdict Thread

Personally i don't think we've got the right approach, set up or players with the 4 at the back. I do think Nuno is capable of finding the right approach and set up and i think we have the players capable of performing better and getting better results at the club. Whether that all gets sorted is completely different.
The latter is certainly the question. I think they need to be a lot braver. Nuno and the players.

This is new to me. Is it a revision to the law, always been the case but few including me knew it or Dermot Gallagher making bollocks up to protect the ref?

The Boly pen was correctly given, not because the foul on the foot happened in the box, but because Robinson's body was in silhouette wise and apparently that counts

This is new to me. Is it a revision to the law, always been the case but few including me knew it or Dermot Gallagher making bollocks up to protect the ref?

The Boly pen was correctly given, not because the foul on the foot happened in the box, but because Robinson's body was in silhouette wise and apparently that counts
That is a strange one. I suppose we could tempt Peter Crouch out of retirement as his silhouette would fall in the box from the half way line. Another case of making the rules up as you go along I fear.

Silhouette, not shadow 😄. Not sure silhouettes existed in football pre VAR

That's fucking bollocks

Ok

Thats just odd you’re feet can be out the box but if you’re leant forward and your head is in or over the white line it’s a penalty?

Does sound like complete bollocks doesn't it :ROFLMAO:

Ok

Thats just odd you’re feet can be out the box but if you’re leant forward and your head is in or over the white line it’s a penalty?
That's what Gallagher said, but him or Walton will say anything to defend the decision. That said i guess it's the same principle as the offsides we now see - The foot made contact with the ball, but the shoulder was off

There was a game where VAR made a horrendous call and then Peter Walton backed them up. They then even admitted mid game that it was wrong and then Peter Walton said “yeah the call was wrong” etc. Complete waste of space and should just be ignored.

Can anyone remember which game it was?

Edit: was Chelsea Spurs where Lo Celso stamped on Azpilicueta

Sounds like goal post moving to me, I’ve never known a profession have such unaccountability for the errors it makes. Not in any sport will you find a more arrogant, patronising group of officials who think they’re more intelligent than anyone else in the game.

There was a game where VAR made a horrendous call and then Peter Walton backed them up. They then even admitted mid game that it was wrong and then Peter Walton said “yeah the call was wrong” etc. Complete waste of space and should just be ignored.

Forgot about that!

Walton is nothing more than Minister of Propaganda for VAR.

Always excuse by Walton as to why the referee was right even if it contradicts an opinion he gave say a week earlier. I think refs have gotten lazy and started to think VAR will bail me out. Problem with that is it’s not accounting for clear & obvious a term I despise. It a huge grey area and is a great place for refs to hide behind when they’ve cocked up.
Classic example of this was Tielemans last season put in a horrible tackle on think Callum Wilson blatant red. Only given as yellow and stayed yellow because VAR deemed it not a clear and obvious error.
It also allows for very inconsistent decisions being made.

The silhouette nonsense has been mentioned before.

There's no actual definition of what they mean by silhouette though (just torso, or upper arms as well?), so it's basically just making it up as they go along.

There are two broad camps among the referees. One is led by David Elleray, now retired but who holds the position of chair of the International committee that makes all the rule changes. He more than anyone is responsible for a lot of today's confusing mess. The rule changes have changed previously good referees, e.g., Michael Oliver, Anthony Taylor, etc., into robotic new law enforcers with the result they no longer have a feel for the game. Mike Riley is Elleray's lietenant in charge of the PGMOL. The other camp, mainly retired officials, tend to be influenced by Keith Hackett but they currently have no power. While I like some of the critique Hackett offers about the current regime, his entourage is not without suspicious supporters, e.g., Halsey, Winter, Rennie, etc. The one referee who seems to be able to rise above all this is Chris Kavenagh. Because Oliver and Taylor, (and Atkinson who is somewhat past his shelf life) have allowed themselves to become slavish victims of the new interpretations. Kavenagh is slowly emerging as the best referee for letting the game flow and for both sides at the end to think they haven't been done by faulty decisions. But he's only one referee. The PL needs about 10 every week for referees to become inconspicuous in their adjudication, abjuring the need to bring out Walton and Gallagher to spread asinine rubbish.

In the Leicester v Chelsea game today, there was a similar incident to the Boly penalty but a different decision. Johnny Evans fouled Pulisic on the edge of the area (closer than the Boly foul on Saturday). Referee Pawson gave a penalty because the silhouette of Pulisic was in the area but Marriner on the VAR reversed it and gave Chelsea a free kick just on the edge of the box. I don't think this was a coincidental difference of interpretation between this incident and the Oliver/Coote incident for Wolves on Saturday. I suspect the incident at Molineux has been analyzed and an edict gone out that the silhouette doesn't count and the free kick must be given, not the penalty. I'm pleased to see common sense at work but wish that they could have been clearer earlier because the first penalty against Wolves proved decisive in the game. These two incidents show how confused the officials are by the constant chopping and changing of interpretations. And Wolves have been the recipient of the worst aspects of this confusion on too many occasions. Riley out!

In the Leicester v Chelsea game today, there was a similar incident to the Boly penalty but a different decision. Johnny Evans fouled Pulisic on the edge of the area (closer than the Boly foul on Saturday). Referee Pawson gave a penalty because the silhouette of Pulisic was in the area but Marriner on the VAR reversed it and gave Chelsea a free kick just on the edge of the box. I don't think this was a coincidental difference of interpretation between this incident and the Oliver/Coote incident for Wolves on Saturday. I suspect the incident at Molineux has been analyzed and an edict gone out that the silhouette doesn't count and the free kick must be given, not the penalty. I'm pleased to see common sense at work but wish that they could have been clearer earlier because the first penalty against Wolves proved decisive in the game. These two incidents show how confused the officials are by the constant chopping and changing of interpretations. And Wolves have been the recipient of the worst aspects of this confusion on too many occasions. Riley out!
I always enjoy reading your posts VanWolfie, genuinely interesting and insightful. They do, however, always make me annoyed with our current refereeing mess.

I think the Evans challenge was a good foot outside the area and FK was the right decision.

The Boly challenge was a lot closer but in the scientific world of VAR was still outside.

As for the handball. It’s a really bizarre situation but I can handle it not given. I don’t really know why he’s got his hands there, and it hits them. But i can handle it not being given as it’s purely accidental, from close range and it’s not like if it hadn’t have hit them he wouldn’t have cleared it anyway.

Back