• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3-0 Everton: Verdict Thread

What I will say for GON (and I’ve said this a few times already) is that the players are clearly working their bollocks off for him. We have a much more likeable bunch too than just over a year ago
A lot of the good from Lopetegui's spending spree last January. It may have led to Jeff realising we had no cash and caused a summer from hell for everyone but at least that money wasn't wasted. A rare thing in recent years at Wolves.

A lot of the good from Lopetegui's spending spree last January. It may have led to Jeff realising we had no cash and caused a summer from hell for everyone but at least that money wasn't wasted. A rare thing in recent years at Wolves.
No we definitely spent it well. Even Cunha at such a big fee, I fucking love him

Agreed, the squad isn't hugely different either, only really Podence that wasn't liked and is gone?

They're all just far happier.
like Kenny said, we did good business bringing in good characters last January. Clearly helped swing the mood. You have to give Lopetegui some credit too. The word was that the minute he walked in the building he shifted the attitude.

No we definitely spent it well. Even Cunha at such a big fee, I fucking love him
Had a massive impact off the pitch as well, I read yesterday. Speaks multiple languages so is key in getting lots of groups together in the dressing room and has also been one of the leading voices in backing the manager with the players.

Seeing him in full flight is not too dissimilar to Adama (in that it gets us off our seat), but he actually has an end product too. Hope he keeps it up!

Had a massive impact off the pitch as well, I read yesterday. Speaks multiple languages so is key in getting lots of groups together in the dressing room and has also been one of the leading voices in backing the manager with the players.

Seeing him in full flight is not too dissimilar to Adama (in that it gets us off our seat), but he actually has an end product too. Hope he keeps it up!
He's playing a different game to that fraud.

Shame to see the verdict thread derailed in this way again.

The rest of SWBS’s post was fine, with little/no spelling errors - so he’s obviously made a conscious decision to get Hwang’s name wrong.
I just want to make it absolutely clear, I did not do it purposely, whatever you think about the fact I've now misspelt his name twice. I assure you I won't do it a 3rd time. There was absolutely no conscious decision to purposely spell it wrong for a second time.
I am not a wind-up merchant, I wasn't trying to be a dick, and I am not racist.
I'm just a bit tired this morning, have a slight hangover, and generally and increasingly very forgetful.
I'm genuinely sorry I've disrespected Hwang Hee-chan, and posters on here.
It has actually quite upset me. It was a great win (PS I'm not fishing for any sympathy, but I wanted to express the truth about this).

Saw it from the moment we signed Gomes. Every club video showing Gomes and Cunha was there with him.

Some of his passing of late has been superb. That ball to Hwang for the Pickford save is inch perfect and perfectly timed. Those are the sort of things he was over hitting previously. Getting in the box to get on the end of things too now

I'd compare him more to Jota in the way he seems to be able to dribble at full speed even in tight spaces. Jota had a more chaotic running style though, he was always in control but looked like he wasn't. Cunha is more polished, quite leggy but he just glides across the pitch.

Another way I'd compare him to Jota is his decision making, he makes the right decision when entering the final third more than other players tend to do.

He’s such a good player, great to see him with a decent goal tally now too. His pass for Hwang’s chance was beautiful - I thought all the hyperbole from Lop when we bought him was massively over the top. It wasn’t.

I'd compare him more to Jota in the way he seems to be able to dribble at full speed even in tight spaces. Jota had a more chaotic running style though, he was always in control but looked like he wasn't. Cunha is more polished, quite leggy but he just glides across the pitch.

Another way I'd compare him to Jota is his decision making, he makes the right decision when entering the final third more than other players tend to do.
Yeah, I literally made the comparison of him and Adama being exciting to watch rather than playing style.

It's worth checking out his fbref stats too

Now he's adding goals to his game he's starting to look like a complete forward

Edit. With the caveat he's never going to be a beast in the air.

In many ways Cunha is now our talisman and key player. Most good things we do attacking wise either come through him or he is involved in some way. The way he runs with the ball is so smooth and effortless, he's an absolute joy to watch. Even though in some games he can be on the fringes for lengthy periods, you just know he's going to have one or 2 special moments where he just turns it on and destroys defences.

I must admit my personal opinion of certain players evolves as the season progresses.

Yesterday we saw all the players at their relaxed, very best selves. Some of our passing was top class.

Toti Gomes at times looks slow but he rarely gets skinned and is actually wonderfully aggressive in his play. The much maligned Kilman (in some quarters) was solid as a rock yesterday and his forward surges really open things up. Semedo, after a slightly suspect start to the game, was absolutely full of running.

In midfield, Gomes was tackling everyone, and also a side to his game we hadn't previously seen perhaps, was his close exchange of passing with the likes of the physically-improving Sarabia, who maybe at last is getting to grips with the pace of the English top-level game. We maybe missed Lemina's power and strength, but having an extra 'passing' player in midfield in Doyle yesterday actually improved our attacking play in my opinion.

Up front, Cunha and Hwang Hee-chan looked really sharp, the runs they were making pulled Everton's weary defence all over the place. Our 2nd goal was beautiful because one provided an assist, and the other finished as a result. Good to see Neto back too, even if for only 20 minutes. Thought Traore was dominant when he came on too.

It was certainly the most enjoyable and complete performance of the season, everyone deserved an 8 or even 9, everything just clicked into place perfectly. Or were Everton just extremely jaded?

Was the first disallowed goal offside by much? I haven't seen any action replay of it.

Back