• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3-0 Everton: Verdict Thread

The stick early on was fair tbh.

Collapsed vs Brighton (due to crap tactics of emptying the midfield) then went bad Colin Lee at Palace to lose a game we never should have, and awful subs vs Liverpool had us losing a game we could have won let alone drawn. Then looked a clueless rabble at Luton and threw away a 2-0 lead at Ipswich.

No CV behind him to suggest he would get better and he finished horribly at Bournemouth once they were safe.

He's massively turned it around, huge credit there but no point retrospectively picking at what were more than valid arguments.
Don’t disagree. It was more so the OTT reaction to GON saying he needed to train a bit of the craziness out of RAN. He looks a much better player for it now! (But hindsight etc).

Collapsed vs Brighton (due to crap tactics of emptying the midfield) then went bad Colin Lee at Palace to lose a game we never should have, and awful subs vs Liverpool had us losing a game we could have won let alone drawn. Then looked a clueless rabble at Luton and threw away a 2-0 lead at Ipswich.

No CV behind him to suggest he would get better and he finished horribly at Bournemouth once they were safe.

He's massively turned it around, huge credit there but no point retrospectively picking at what were more than valid arguments.
Got to say I wouldn’t have complained if he had been sacked after the Ipswich game and I usually back managers long beyond their shelf-life!!! Just didn’t see this coming…. Hope he stays with us a long time. Great young British manager. I hope we hold on to him through the inevitable tough times when that (those) times come along as they inevitably will for one reason or another…. Time for some stability me thinks….

This is all fair and true, it's nice to see a positive and progressive response from him since, apart from the odd set back.

Loved that performance today. Doyle and Sarabia purring away with some delightful passes and interplay, linking up defence, midfield and attack so effectively, resulting in some really good attacking moves. Three goals but could and should have been more, putting to one side the two correctly chalked off. Was so worried about these last three games, mainly because of the short recovery time in between the games but the players have come through this period with flying old gold colours. They've been absolutely brilliant. I'm sure they'll be dedicating today's win to Mario and his family after their sad loss. RIP to his dad.

We’re in a good position with 30 for and 31 against compared to the teams below us. Barring an absolute disaster I think we’ll be absolutely fine.

We only scored 31 goals all of 22/23 btw.

What a fab Christmas run we’ve had. Given the pre-season concerns have to be delighted with what we’ve accumulated and in spite of the dodgy decisions we’ve suffered. 3 wins and we’re virtually safe. Squad togetherness is massive and a credit to GON.

If RAN keeps playing like this he'll move on for big money

Yep, although his numbers in terms of goals/assists may keep him slightly under the radar, he is absolutely integral to how we play, and it's a real shame he's off when his form is so good.

We need to remember if our form drops off a little in his absence how bloody important he is.

Think he has a bit of the Nuno-Doherty’s about him. Obviously he has a much higher ceiling but we do play him in quite a unique position. He wouldn’t do as well in a back four currently I don’t think.

A tremendous performance with every Wolves player at least 7/10. Defence all solid with a bonus two goals. Midfield all excellent. Forwards a real handful.

Doyle keeps the ball moving, his passing is really accurate and quick. As mentioned above he hardly gave the ball away all game.

Gomes was outstanding, such energy and he manages to win the ball so many times when it looks against the odds. He also kept his passing both quick and simple. I can see Klopp knocking on the door in the not too distant future as he would be the perfect fit in his midfield.

Sarabia is starting to get to grips with the pace of the PL and his ability to find a killer pass is second to none, I think he could have a big second half of the season.

Forwards - best movement I’ve seen from them, they’ll be a handful for any defence when they play like that. Hwang stayed on his feet far better than of late and as a result looked a far better player.

Quick word on Everton - surprisingly poor and Tarkowski was unsurprisingly thuggish.

Think he has a bit of the Nuno-Doherty’s about him. Obviously he has a much higher ceiling but we do play him in quite a unique position. He wouldn’t do as well in a back four currently I don’t think.
I think that’s really harsh - RAN is a superb player who had a very good reputation before joining us. The other was a shit fat full back and is one once again

Last edited:
I think that’s really harsh - RAN is a superb player who had a very good reputation before joining us. The other was a shit fat full back and is once again

I more so meant we play him a unique way that gets the best out of him that another team perhaps wouldn’t, similar to Nuno did with Doc. Obviously he is a far superior player to his Irish counterpart.

What a fab Christmas run we’ve had. Given the pre-season concerns have to be delighted with what we’ve accumulated and in spite of the dodgy decisions we’ve suffered. 3 wins and we’re virtually safe. Squad togetherness is massive and a credit to GON.
What’s this “three wins and we’re virtually safe” stuff?

We’re 13 points off the bottom 3 & only 6 off West Ham in 6th! 😂

*having played a game more

Listened to the game on wolves commentary, who had Tom King on with Thommo and Naills, he was amazingly interesting with some comments from inside the camp, and training quips.
Fabulous day, fabulous christmas, and a tip of the hat for GON, who According to kingy the players simply adore.

Crazy when you consider all GON has really done is give RAN a bit of discipline with the fancy flicks, and utilised him as more of an attacking threat. It does leave Toti exposed sometimes, but not TOO often that it’s an issue.

I’ll give him Hwang, none of us could have predicted this would happen. All GON has really done is shifted him to a 9 and played on his strength of finding space and finishing. It’s what he has done with Cunha that is a lot more impressive.
Speak for yourself ;)

Yep, although his numbers in terms of goals/assists may keep him slightly under the radar, he is absolutely integral to how we play, and it's a real shame he's off when his form is so good.

We need to remember if our form drops off a little in his absence how bloody important he is.
I would think for a team who enjoys having the majority of possession he's be exactly what you'd be looking for in a LB / LWB

Back