• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves v Reading: EFL Cup 3rd Round

So two more of the big six will go out.

Come on. Target this cup for Europe.

You know my view. Win this and finish 15th and I am fine with it given our squad

Nah sack this one off let Villa gloat for 12 days after beating our kids.

Maximum of 6 premier sides in the last 8 and Max 3 of the big six. You won't get better odds in any competition this season.

Maximum of 6 premier sides in the last 8 and Max 3 of the big six. You won't get better odds in any competition this season.

Just last season, the FA Cup had 6 Prem sides and only 2 of the Big Six in the quarter finals. The Carabao Cup is no easier to win than any other competition, just look at the last few years

You know my view. Win this and finish 15th and I am fine with it given our squad
We aren't beating Villa away with the respective teams we put out tonight. We can't play the first team 4 times in 10 days. I don't want us to weaken our team for any league game. Hope to win, but don't expect to and we certainly shouldn't prioritise. Start compromising games like Newcastle away and your 15th will be ambitious

We ain’t playing a strong side, they will play a bits and pieces side. They’ve got a stronger squad than ours so they will likely win

Best thing about tonight was that the entire starting XI got a rest

Just last season, the FA Cup had 6 Prem sides and only 2 of the Big Six in the quarter finals. The Carabao Cup is no easier to win than any other competition, just look at the last few years

League euro qualification 6 out of 20
Fa cup currently 1 in 64
Euro league 1 in 32 if we qualify
Carabao now 1 in 16

I don't see why we aren't. Beat villa and draw man u or Chelsea next who guaranteed would field the kids and you're eyeing up a semi final.

League euro qualification 6 out of 20
Fa cup currently 1 in 64
Euro league 1 in 32 if we qualify
Carabao now 1 in 16

I don't see why we aren't. Beat villa and draw man u or Chelsea next who guaranteed would field the kids and you're eyeing up a semi final.

Doubt they’d play the kids in the last 8. Even if they play reserves they still beat us.

Observations
1st half Neves controlled the game IN THEIR HALF (as he should be doing against this type of opposition).....
2nd half - deep deep deep deep deep fucking DEEEPPPPP....WHY? its fucking Reading!
Ruddy man of the match
Bennett played well, cleared off the line twice i think and one glorious pass 1st half out to the left wing.
Kilman also pretty solid, likes to go to ground to tackle ala Saiss.
First half we could have killed them off but the decision making was awful, MGW took too long on many many attacks to decide what to do, Neto is a fantastic outlet but he seemingly doesnt like to pass or like MGW doesnt release the ball quick enough & seemed averse to passing to Doherty on one of his ventures down the line.
Jordao was very lively and we missed him when he left the pitch.
For all his efforts and energy i really dont think we are the sort of team suited to Curtone's style of play, i do think in another, more direct team (or maybe one
that puts balls along the floor, into the box QUICKER) he would probaly flourish, perhaps im completely wrong but i just cant see it.

Shebani looked in agony.
Vinagre needs to practise his crossing.

Great penatlies
VILLA urghhh no thanks.

Because of Villa’s mega spend their 2nd XI is stronger so I’d expect them to go through. The twitter bollocks has already go under way

Ruddy - sharp off his line a couple of times, did well..no chance with goal. Seemed to fancy having a shot on their goal when their keeper was running back from a corner, pity we didn't get to see it. Good save on pen.

Doc - steady, didn't give ball away, defended well, made a couple of good runs but didn't get picked out.

Jesus - very shakey first 10 mins, but grew into the game - I don't trust him yet though, spannered a pass out of play when under no pressure just the once tonight, so an improvement on the Braga game.

Bennett - had a good game, couple of nice Coady-esque passes, a couple over hit. He looked better for having more time and more options to pass to. Very good in the air as ever, impressed. Good penalty too! Seemed annoyed at the end of 90 about something with the 4th official and then also was rattled with their players just before Vinagre's penalty which lead to him giving them the bird when Ruben scored. Weird.

Killman - was up against a very physical opponent and dealt with him well, I think Max is more of a head it and kick merchant more than a ball player - but on tonight's showing he looks a solid defender.

Vinagre - a couple of good runs, a bit quiet though really. Defended better than he has been lately and a very good penalty.

Jordao - liked the look of this lad - positive passing, drove forward when necessary, seemed pretty quick and had the balls to have a shot when it opened up. Strange injury as he went down as though he was fucked, then went back on and looked fine (as in no limp etc) then went down 90 seconds later and ultimately got stretchered off - ACL?. Gutted for him as he was probably with Neto our best player at the time.

Neves - quiet, expected/hoped he would get to grips with the game a little more, especially as captain. But was less effective than Jordao. Good penalty.

MGW - a very MGW performance. Lots of energy, lots of effort. But poor decision making and on at least 2 occasions too hesitant to shoot. He's 19. Decision making is something that can be taught, so he really should become an excellent player once that issue is ironed out! If Perry or Shabani had come on and played like MGW did we would be excited.

Neto - love this lad, uses what is quite a small frame really well to protect the ball and bounce off opponents (similar to Jota) he picks the ball up between the lines and it really positive and confident. Good performance.

Cutrone - as ever loads of effort, a very good effort early on with his left foot that drew a good save. Didn't really get himself in a position likely to score other than that though. Weird at the end when we had already got 10 men he pulled up with what looked like a groin or hammy injury but didn't go down, the physio didn't get up and if I didn't know better Nuno seemed to be ignoring him. Seemed risky to in the very least just check it wasnt a bad injury?

Subs

Shabani - did nothing in the very limited time he was on - big painful scream when he went down. Hopefully not too bad, but given the stretcher, scream and the reaction it may well be.

Perry - played it very very very safe. Which was a little disappointing but understandable. He just passed it back to whoever passed it to him. A couple of times he could have driven into the box when the ball was wide with Vinagre and Doherty but he held back, pity. He did absolutely nothing wrong, but just didn't try anything at all - nerves I guess.

Cundle - this lad looked tiny. Not heard of him before and was 17 wearing 68! Lots of effort, but must have only touched it 2 or 3 times.

Nuno - brave subs, he initially told Moutinho to get ready when Jordao got injury but changed his mind and went for Perry. Fair play.

Fans - 20, 700 I think? Excellent crowd especially when you consider this is our 6th or 7th home game already and it's not October yet.

Ref - thought he was excellent, dealt with any issues with no fuss and wasn't over zealous.

Performance - we were ok, there was a period after Charlie Adam was replaced by Eharia (??) Wheb Reading got themselves back in the game. Also Swift for them was effective.

Whilst we never really looked like scoring we largely controlled the game, disappointing to concede of course, bit given we effectively had 9 men at the time and the team had been decimated by injury I think we did quite well.

Villa away is far from ideal, we may feel obliged to put some first teamers in the side for that?

Think Jordao looked a tidy player and we got worse when he went off injured as Perry struggled to have much impact.

Bennett did better than I expected in Coadys role and actually played some nice passes. Vallejo still looks very dodgy, not especially great on the ball, I'd rather have to use Kilman if we got an injury that's for sure.

Any news on the injuries?

Appreciate the reports from people who were there! I lost my shit with the radio last night, as radio wm spent more time talking about all sorts of shite rather than whatever happened on the pitch. It was truly woeful.

Back