• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Carabao Cup 3rd Round

we win tonight, we gain 6 extra games in Europe between now and December. The League Cup goes to the very back of the line of important games for us i'm afraid. Lose tonight and we can throw everything at it.
Agree with this. Prioritise the European nights rather than chase (currently) unlikely glory.

Also from the clubs view, Europa Group Stage qualification = more in ££ and grabbing an audience.

Beat Torino and from prize money alone we have earned around £4m. Group stages you get money per point gained. Get out of the groups and our income gets a huge boost.

Stupid money really but we have to chase it.

You also hope going far in the Europa means the hard sell is needed less and less when trying to attract players.

But if going far in the Europa means no Europe next season we will probably lose players.

But if going far in the Europa means no Europe next season we will probably lose players.

Which pretty much sums up where we are as a club. Has to be better than drawing 0-0 with Stevenage though...

But if going far in the Europa means no Europe next season .

Does it? Guaranteed? Who says we can't push ourselves through a couple of League Cup Rounds using the squad and the likes of Sanderson etc. The club will want to progress as far as possible in the Europa and in my opinion will make it more of a priority than the League Cup. (by that I mean resting certain players rather than not giving a shit like we have previously in the Cups)

We are likely to lose players anyway even if we qualify again (unless its a miracle and its Champions League)

Which pretty much sums up where we are as a club. Has to be better than drawing 0-0 with Stevenage though...

I think we can do something in one of the cups and if so we might be back there. Can't see us playing kids at all vs Reading.

Does it? Guaranteed? Who says we can't push ourselves through a couple of League Cup Rounds using the squad and the likes of Sanderson etc. The club will want to progress as far as possible in the Europa and in mu opinion will make more of a priority than the League Cup.

We are likely to lose players anyway even if we qualify again (unless its a miracle and its Champions League)

? I didn't say guaranteed I said "if" and "probably".

? I didn't say guaranteed I said "if" and "probably".

Football is all probably, maybe etc

Our 1st Euro experience in 40 years and we are rightly treating it correctly. Where we are next season is for next season, right now we are like any of the Top 6 in the Prem. Priority goes - League, Europe, FA & then League Cup.

That can easily change tonight mind

Football is all probably, maybe etc

Our 1st Euro experience in 40 years and we are rightly treating it correctly. Where we are next season is for next season, right now we are like any of the Top 6 in the Prem. Priority goes - League, Europe, FA & then League Cup.

That can easily change tonight mind

I am not saying to not treat Europe properly. I don't think it's a choice of doing that or competing in the League Cup. We can play a reasonable team vs Reading and rest players without having to play loads of kids, and i'm sure Nuno will have the same attitude.

We were the 7th best team in the country last season and with some luck and kind draws for the first couple of games, I think we've got a good shot at competing for the cup, 2 games and its the quarter final.

There is little chance of us winning the league
Realistically, there is little chance of us winning the Europa league
There is a bit better chance of us winning the f a cup
But of all the competitions the carabao cup is the one with the highest win chance.

We are eighth favourites for the Europa. It is also the only competition we enter where we are as good as guaranteed not to have to beat Manchester City and or Liverpool to win it. I’d say it has at least a comparable win chance to the Carabao

There is little chance of us winning the league
Realistically, there is little chance of us winning the Europa league
There is a bit better chance of us winning the f a cup
But of all the competitions the carabao cup is the one with the highest win chance.

Last six League Cup finals have all been won by a Big 6 side, only twice has a team from outside the Big 6 made the final in those years. FA Cup has the same ratio of last 6 winners from the Big 6, but 4 finalists have been from outside the Big 6. Going by that surely the FA Cup gives us the best chance?

We are eighth favourites for the Europa. It is also the only competition we enter where we are as good as guaranteed not to have to beat Manchester City and or Liverpool to win it. I’d say it has at least a comparable win chance to the Carabao

Paddy Power have 'any Champs Lg team' at 3/1. Most other firms then have Wolves as fifth in the betting behind Man Utd, Arsenal, Roma and Sevilla. Would be interesting to see what odds you could get on 'Wolves to win any cup competition' this year (excluding Asia Trophy, obviously). I'd say 6/1 was about fair and if a bookie offered 8/1 you should be all over it

Date confirmed for Wednesday 25th

Has to be the Wednesday as we play Palace on the Sunday due to the group stages starting on the 19th Sept.

Has to be the Wednesday as we play Palace on the Sunday due to the group stages starting on the 19th Sept.

So will Watford on the Saturday now get bumped to the Sunday then?

So will Watford on the Saturday now get bumped to the Sunday then?
Nope. Wed - Sat games are fine.

Needs to be 2 full days between fixtures so that one is staying as it is.

Back