• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

You lot can all go, and this is why...

Yeah i think that's fair.

And much to the anger of so many, i'm not sure we'll see a new keeper?

As someone mentioned the other day, who in this league is genuinely better than Sa?

There are probably only 5 or 6 keepers you could say with any degree of certainty?
I would say Sa is better than Meslier, Johnstone/ Guita, Sanchez/ Steele, Fabianski, De Gea and Kepa.

That's 13 teams that do have a better keeper.

Well actually, it was a while before Targett got dumped out of the team and Burn went to LB, pretty sure Botman missed the first couple of months too?

Replacing 4 out of the back 5 is neither easy, or necessary.

Kilman and Dawson are adequate, Semedo has been much better since Lop came in, and i have faith as a unit they'll all be better with a summer working under him too.

I guess it depends what people want or expect?

If fans are expecting a tilt at top 6 then yeah, we need to spend some serious money on the defence, but i think that's incredibly optimistic, I think Fosun will be happy with mid table mediocrity, and that's what a back 5 with Kilman, Dawson, Semedo and Sa is.
I would disagree with what needs replacing and think it is necessary.

It's common knowledge we were looking for a right back and centre back in January, I don't see how that changed.

I would say Sa is better than Meslier, Johnstone/ Guita, Sanchez/ Steele, Fabianski, De Gea and Kepa.

That's 13 teams that do have a better keeper.
For me you could comfortably add Llorris/Forster, Bazunu/McCarthy, Leno, Neto and Iversen/Ward, there are other arguables too.

But either way, again, he's a mid table ish keeper isn't he?

Are we really going to do much better than him without spending a fortune?

For me you could comfortably add Llorris/Forster, Bazunu/McCarthy, Leno, Neto and Iversen/Ward, there are other arguables too.

But either way, again, he's a mid table ish keeper isn't he?

Are we really going to do much better than him without spending a fortune?
A different type of keeper I think is needed. He just can't do what Lop wants and his decision making is shockingly poor for a top level keeper.

I think Fosun will be happy with mid table mediocrity, and that's what a back 5 with Kilman, Dawson, Semedo and Sa is.
That was definitely the case 12 months ago, if it still is then we'll be looking for a new manager within 12 months or so as I don't think that's what Lopetegui has signed up for

That was definitely the case 12 months ago, if it still is then we'll be looking for a new manager within 12 months or so as I don't think that's what Lopetegui has signed up for
Absolutely, JL hasn't come here to tread water, he will have asked for confirmation of funds and aspirations before signing.

Absolutely, JL hasn't come here to tread water, he will have asked for confirmation of funds and aspirations before signing.
Well if that's the case we don't need to sell players (such as Neves) to "raise funds"?

..his decision making is shockingly poor for a top level keeper.
Yep, he is slow in mind all too often, when it's instinctive, he's excellent, the 2 notable saves v Palace underline that.

But when he has to think, (the 6th yesterday) he makes poor decisions, so what if Nunes called for it (the daft sod), you're 5-0 down, don't take any more risks, just get it gone.

Well if that's the case we don't need to sell players (such as Neves) to "raise funds"?
We need to sell Neves if he won’t sign a new contract as we can’t turn down £30m+ and see him walk for nothing next summer. Taking wages into account we’d effectively be paying £35m+ for a year and irrespective of how wealthy and ambitious our owners are that makes no sense.

Not having Sa being defended here. If other clubs also have rank goalkeepers that is their problem, I care about Wolves, not them. He is shite and routinely costs us laughable goals.

I think most of this thread is fair. Based loosely on the players we've been linked to:

Bono
<Bentley seems a pretty good back up, doesn't moan, wouldn't be a disaster if he had to play>

Mazraoui (we'd need another as Lembikisa would go out on loan)
Dawson / NEW CH
NEW CH
/ Toti
Bueno/ Toti

Lozano /Chiquinho
Lemina/ Gomes
Scott/Bouba
Neto/ Sarabia

Cunha/ Cundle

Sasa/ En Nesyri

That's 8 players, of which lots would be very expensive, and whilst I can't see it happening we signed 6 in January, so who knows?
I saw yesterday morning that Brighton have been linked with Scott.

Not having Sa being defended here. If other clubs also have rank goalkeepers that is their problem, I care about Wolves, not them. He is shite and routinely costs us laughable goals.
Agreed. Meslier and Ward being even worse than him doesn't make Sá a good keeper. He's a weakness that can and should be upgraded, especially while he's still got some value left.

On the CB front, obviously with my MLS-shaded glasses on, I'd be very, very interested in Miles Robinson from Atlanta. Reads the game decently, aggressive in the tackle (without being rash, most of the time), and gives something at CB that we don't have at all right now: someone who turns faster than a tugboat.

On the CB front, obviously with my MLS-shaded glasses on, I'd be very, very interested in Miles Robinson from Atlanta. Reads the game decently, aggressive in the tackle (without being rash, most of the time), and gives something at CB that we don't have at all right now: someone who turns faster than a tugboat.
I wouldn't take any player from the MLS. Barely Lg1 standard.

And Collins and Toti are quick. I would replace both in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't take any player from the MLS. Barely Lg1 standard.

And Collins and Toti are quick. I would replace both in a heartbeat.
At least I know when you’re trying to rile me

Loads, Ramsdale, De Gea (countless), Ederson, Pope, even Allison have made many notable errors this season

Allison has made errors but he has 9+ expected goal ratio still and was over 10 at one point. He has has some outstanding saves, it's just been missed due to the overall nature of there season.

Sa is way down that list. Dangerously close to Danny Ward, and below Navas who people think is good but is statistically below Henderson, good case to make they would have stayed up with Henderson and may not with Nav.

Back