• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

You lot can all go, and this is why...

If his performance against Palace still wasn't good enough for your standards, then you're going to be very disappointed by his replacement, if there is one.

Not really as I've seen at least three Wolves keepers who are better than him.

He didn't have that much to do on Tuesday FFS!

He's shite.

My biggest issue with Sá is that he was signed specifically to give the defence the confidence to play a higher line. He doesn't do that and that part of his game is only going to deteriorate as he gets older, it isn't going to improve.

As for spending the money to replace him, Keepers have gotten more and more expensive as data analysis improves. It's the one position on the pitch where you can point to Keeper X, prove that he makes saves at a higher rate than Keeper Y and predict that that improvement will save you a range of points over the course of a season.

There's also a premium for keepers who have come through at certain academies and who you know are going to be able to build up from the back which is becoming more and more important in modern football.

As I mentioned earlier, spending say, £40M+ on a keeper like Diogo Costa is a wise investment for a club like us.

Patricio and Murray, who is the 3rd?
Hennessey at his best. Regardless of him being a knob.

Even if it's only two, being the third best Wolves keeper in the last 20 years isn't much of an accolade, is it. As I say, if he's that good then we could advertise that he's available for £15-20m (so at least twice what we paid) and we'd have a queue of suitors, wouldn't we?

Except we wouldn't because he's shit and no-one wants a total liability in nets.

As I say, I'd rather we just worked on the weaknesses of his game over the summer and went from there.

I trust our manager and coaching team to iron out the creases in Kilman, Sa and Semedo's game. That's the point in employing an elite coach isn't it?

You could have Gianni Versace sat there and he isn't making Shane McGowan look good in a suit.

They're not good players mate. I've had to watch them for years. We haven't been shite for three years by accident.

We're a mid table (at best) medium sized club, they're exactly what you'd expect them to be.

They're not good players mate.
...or young, they are who they are. In Nuno's case he found unique roles for players like Doherty and Coady to take them to a level nobody expected, that's not happening with the 3 mentioned. The curveball and it's a very small sample is Kilman grew as a captain, perhaps that's how you improve him, with responsibility? Big gamble though

Accepting "well, it sort of works" is what leads you to suddenly have nothing for tea when that oven that has been struggling to fire for years and everything takes longer than advertised to cook actually packs in.

Or saying "we're 8th" this time last year to defend a manager who was quite obviously appalling on every level. Look where that got us.

They're crap, they need to go.

...or young, they are who they are. In Nuno's case he found unique roles for players like Doherty and Coady to take them to a level nobody expected, that's not happening with the 3 mentioned. The curveball and it's a very small sample is Kilman grew as a captain, perhaps that's how you improve him, with responsibility? Big gamble though
That's not a bet I'll be taking.

Being as I don't care who you have coaching him, he'll still turn like a skip and jump like Robert Taylor.

Accepting "well, it sort of works" is what leads you to suddenly have nothing for tea when that oven that has been struggling to fire for years and everything takes longer than advertised to cook actually packs in.

Or saying "we're 8th" this time last year to defend a manager who was quite obviously appalling on every level. Look where that got us.

They're crap, they need to go.
The same was said about Coady, Saiss and Boly, we fucked them off all at once and found the replacements weren't as good.

But we have a better manager now, do you not think he can improve these players!?

As I say, I'd rather we just worked on the weaknesses of his game over the summer and went from there.

I trust our manager and coaching team to iron out the creases in Kilman, Sa and Semedo's game. That's the point in employing an elite coach isn't it?
You can’t coach these mental attributes. This is what they are as TT says. You aren’t going to stop Sa running out like a crazy mad man same as you weren’t going to get Rui Patricio to come storming off his line.

You aren’t going to stop Semedo being a clumsy oaf or completely switching off.

Something something water something something wine.

Most of our players have done very, very little to buy our loyalty over the past two years and change.

Do I think he'll stop Sa being a moron? No.

Do I think he'll make Kilman actually take charge of situations rather than drifting around in the background like Extras Series One Andy Millman? No

Do I think he'll teach Semedo how to even vaguely cross? No.

I'd rather just give him better players and work with them.

You can’t coach these mental attributes. This is what they are as TT says. You aren’t going to stop Sa running out like a crazy mad man same as you weren’t going to get Rui Patricio to come storming off his line.

You aren’t to stop Semedo being a clumsy oaf or completely switching off.
You can improve players decision making, of course you can.

What are you actually trying to say to Sa (just for example) anyway?

"You know when you had a view of the entire fucking pitch, and you took five seconds dicking around doing nothing, don't underhit a one yard pass to someone on the edge of our box who has two men pressing him"

If you're stupid enough to do that in the first place, then there's no telling him is there.

You can improve players decision making, of course you can.
Not really, rashness is in Sa’s nature, you will never take that out of him. It’s instinctive.

You try and change that and you probably increase hesitancy which just creates another problem.

And what drill is there to make a keeper make a better decision making!? Keep lumping the ball over the top until he gets 10 in a row where he doesn’t gets rounded or give a pen away?

Or just give him the instruction “when the player runs away from goal and has no chance of scoring don’t chase after him and take him out”.

Or “when chris wood is about to kick it out of play for a goal Kick, don’t clear him out”.

None of that should have to be instructed!

Everyone bar Gomes, Neto, Toti and Bueno for me could go and I wouldn't even be vaguely bothered, (Neves excepted but he's likely gone).

Back