• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Crystal Palace 2-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Just watching that winning goal and it’s looks worse and worse for Nelson. Outmuscled by Zaha and falls over. Then just no will or desire to get back goal side. Shocking.

That was not as bad as being made out. Some good play and chances created.

The subs did ok even young Hodge should have been 2 up could have been 3 at Half time.
Would have kept both Traores on but both had faded
The second half was atrocious. No good play at all in there

I watched in isolation from the forum and do think there is maybe some group think that has happened. It wasn't good but it always isn't as bad as some of the comments.

Tempo was better for most, better chances from opening play, still look too blunt but for the first time I look at tonight and think "maybe good coaching would fix this". Some nice moments with passing and moving, playing out from the back a couple of times looked calm and composed, some okay performances in patches. Liked the energy of B Traore and agree A Traore shouldn't have been taken off.

Not great but better, can't keep throwing points away though obviously.
Second half we had no tempo until the last 10 minutes.

Nunes has been desperately poor so far for the money paid. Yes he might be playing a bit further than is ideal but that doesn't explain him being a complete passenger again. Need to see much much more for a 40 odd million pound player.

Completely agree on Podence. He offers and produces so little, and his wasting of possession borders on the criminal at times. He's a dreadful player.
He's a winger who thinks he's a #10. He just doesn't have the skillset to do it.

I genuinely get scared when I see him with the ball in our half.

Watched the first half couldn’t bring myself to watch the second half as I new exactly what was going to happen.
After a brief interlude during the early Nuno years my lifelong Wolves negativity is coming home to roost.

Nunes has been desperately poor so far for the money paid. Yes he might be playing a bit further than is ideal but that doesn't explain him being a complete passenger again. Need to see much much more for a 40 odd million pound player.
He genuinely can't play as a 10. We're asking him to play on the half turn against their CB's or with his back to goal.

We wouldn't ask Neves to do it and that's essentially what we're doing.

He's a forward facing 8 or old fashioned box to box midfielder. And we're asking him to be De Bruyne.

It's barmy.

Last edited:
Decent enough first half, killed by conceding such an early second half goal. Followed then by some strange substitutions, concession of an awful second and from then on it was game over.

Pluses, Bueno was excellent, we actual showed some fight at the end even it was never likely to result in an equaliser.
This sums it up for me. I get the B Traore sub, first game, on a yellow replace him with Moutinho, that made sense. The other 2 at the same time didn't. It was always going to be more than put a forward in and we'll all of a sudden start scoring goals, but Costa has gone. Given who is in charge and the over promotion of Hodge I'm surprised Fraser isn't at least on the bench

Not blaming the two guys holding the fort, they are obviously have nowhere near the ability to manage at this level. The triple subs proved this. Great tactical move by Viera to move Zaha more central and away from Semedo who had him in his pocket first half. Bueno had a good solid game, hope he doesn`t disappear when a new manager is installed. We need a striker desperately which we have no hope of getting before January if indeed the funds are provided to get one. I still don`t think we will go down, but it will be a relegation battle from now on, I think. With regards some of our squad, is it lack confidence or lack of backbone?

Kilman is awful on the winner.

Much better intensity than under Lage (who has catapulted the club back years, the dickhead) but the defending on both goals is something we cannot afford when we score so few.

Podence is Podence, should have an assist tonight but Costa totally muffed a simple chance. I think we're safe from PSG nicking him at the end of the season.

It's a penalty, but Mason is Mason.

Bueno was tremendous.

Manager in pronto please. Like tomorrow or Thursday.

Too many passengers. This team can’t carry 2 or 3 players which is what we’re doing.

Podence might have his spells but he’s an absolute passenger most the time and loses every single battle. Him rolling on the floor just before their goal infuriated me. We had a good chance to score there but he was faking an injury. Then we concede a minute or so later. Give me any of their front 4 over him any day.

Nunes did nothing on or off the ball either. Played out of position yes but he’s still got to be better when he has the ball and more combative.

Costa did fuck all but we didn’t really give him a sniff apart from the early chance he fucked up.

Semedo was shite. He’s really pissed me off tonight. The fact Bueno was streets ahead of him at both ends is a bit of a disgrace. Bueno was fantastic though.

I could rant about most of them but I’m going to stop. Palace just have better players than us who want it more. Bit of a shambles that with the money we’ve spent.
I think so much of it comes down to character rather than quality. They had Jeffrey fucking Schlupp playing centre mid FFS!

You just look how they react to things. Zaha had Semedo all over him first half but he just gets on with it, keeps showing for the ball, keeps battling away. Sure there are times when he loses his head and he's let Palace down a few times like that but they're massively outweighed by the battles he wins. Today he ran back with Traore for that freekick just before half time, battled against 3 or 4 players in a row and came away with the ball, showed the desire to get up and beat Semedo to the box to score the winner. Which of Wolves attackers, hell which of their players from anywhere, are showing that sort of determination and desire to make a difference?

As you say Nunes is probably out of position but how is sulking around doing fuck all helping anyone? Your team is struggling to get the ball away from their 18 yard box for decent spells in the first half so drop in and show the boss what you can do, muck in and help your team out.

It was refreshing in the opening stages to see a bit more belief and purposefulness but it was soon quashed when it didn't bear fruit. I lay into Neves a lot for not doing enough but that opening spell I was pleasantly surprised. He was playing in tighter areas and moving the ball more quickly, I'm sure I even saw him take it on the half turn at least once! He made that driving run through the middle too, unfortunately the shot at the end was poor.

As always though, for Neves and pretty much the entire team, that confidence only seems to exist as long as the opposition allow it to. When the pressure is on, the spaces are limited and things become tougher they all slowly start going back into themselves and hiding from the bit scary world of front foot football. This team only play when they're allowed to, they don't compete.

Frustrating, decent first half, nice goal, bit of luck we could have been 3 up.
Their first goal was piss poor defending, lost the ball far too easily on the half way line, Bouba didn't track back and fuck knows what Semedo was doing.
Was surprised by the subs and turned out to be a poor decision. Another goal conceded due to individual errors. We at least showed a bit of spirit in the last 10 minutes. Please show our forwards some Bully videos.
Zaha, Eze and Olise are all better, stronger and quicker than any of our forwards.
Traore scored a good goal and maybe one or two other decent touches but for the most part was terrible, gave the ball away cheaply in dangerous areas 3 or 4 times.

Steve Davis on subs : We had to, Adama had a small injury before the game, we had to do it even though he was causing them problems
Boubacar was fatiguing massively and Nunes had a bang on the head that we’re a bit worried about #wwfc

Pissed off we lost of course but not too despondent. Perhaps deserved a draw. Would have got a draw had it not been for comical lack of defending from Semedo, Collins and Kilman for their second. Played much better than we normally do down there in deepest, darkest sarf landan! Well chuffed for Adama getting on the end of a Dennis Irwin like cross from Bueno, who I thought was our best player tonight and deserves another start against Leicester on Sunday. Thought the stand-in boss was very brave with his starting XI, showing balls to drop Moutinho and start with what I think is our best midfield trio. Having said that, he got the subs wrong. Why sub off Adama when Podence was having his usual game of tricks and flicks but to no material effect? Why take of both Nunes and Boubacar Traoré? Surely keep one of them on. Anyway the boys fought till the bitter end, which bodes well. Looking forward to my first game in the flesh on Sunday. Same starting XI bar Guedes for Podence. Oh by the way Wilfred Zaha is still a tosser!

Like all the goals it’s a team effort. But there’s too many individual mistakes.

Bueno can’t let Olise inside so easy. Seems massive miscommunication that he thinks a midfielder is going to be in there. Then Semedo misjudges it. Takes a step forward then it goes over his head. And Traore probably should follow his man.

Second goal Kilman can’t over commit and not win it. Collins probably doesn’t need to show Edouard inside. Force him down the line surely? But it all could have been avoided if Semedo just attempted to get goal side. What’s the point in jogging behind him you weapon?

Steve Davis on subs : We had to, Adama had a small injury before the game, we had to do it even though he was causing them problems
Boubacar was fatiguing massively and Nunes had a bang on the head that we’re a bit worried about #wwfc
Joe Hodge sitting there with a gun to his head was he?

Why are all our players either injured or unfit. Like the entire squad

Back