• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Euro 2028

Lupo

Reaction score
Turkey have withdrawn their bid leaving the way clear for the UK and Ireland bid to be successful

Everton will like that news. Might allow the final £250m of their build to be financed.

Tournament for most the major cities, England more than capable of hosting this alone or maybe just a Gaelic nations bid I’d have preferred. Even still I’ll try and get to at least 1 game.
Glasgow 2 stadiums
Edinburgh 1 stadium
Aberdeen expanded 1 stadium
Belfast 1 stadium
Dublin 2 stadiums
Cardiff 2 stadiums
Swansea 1 stadium
In just a Gaelic bid

Swansea ain't big enough, nor is Aberdeen. 30k minimum or UEFA say no.

Wonder where he’ll be in 2028?

77A52B17-8EE5-40D9-B884-3A9AC335E5F1.jpeg

Even for a training kit, that sponsor is wretched.

You'd go Glasgow 3 stadiums unless there is a rule against that? Hampden and there's no way you are going either/or on the other 2 given the politics.

But neither Swansea nor Aberdeen want a ground of that size, it'd be too big for them.

15k bouncing around 30k stadiums wouldn’t be anything unusual in a post tournament stadium.
The whole point of the initial statement is that the other 4 nations could host the euros if they wanted to.

Thanks to GAA we have 7 stadiums over 30k (including Casement), thought all except Aviva have element of terracing at the minute.
Plus another couple just short of 30k at the moment.
Was the backbone of our failed bid in 2015 for this world cup. (Which included Casement in their bid)

Still no guarantee on Casement, DUP fully backing the bid but not happy that public money being used to pay for it.

Did post somewhere on here last week (can't remember where was ranting) how whole thing will not help Irish football.
Well government announced to their own fanfare that would be €6 million money out of profit to go to Irish football,
to be spread between national teams men's & women's, under age sides, academies, LOI clubs & infastructure, upgrade grounds etc, fucking pitiful.

15k bouncing around 30k stadiums wouldn’t be anything unusual in a post tournament stadium.
The whole point of the initial statement is that the other 4 nations could host the euros if they wanted to.
Why should Swansea or Aberdeen want to be left with a pointless white elephant they never fill? That’s just stupid.

Why should Swansea or Aberdeen want to be left with a pointless white elephant they never fill? That’s just stupid.
They would be subsidised on the build. I’d class a white elephant as a ground that’s never used or has a crowd of about 2-3k in a stadium holding 30k. You can also build temporary infrastructure and remove it once the tournament is finished.
Aberdeen got just under 17k v St Johnstone on Sunday and has a capacity just under 21k.
Swansea average around the 15k mark with a capacity of 21k. Not exactly a humongous rebuild.
Again it’s getting away from the point, the original point is that the 4 nations outside of England could host it those locations were example.
If Aberdeen or Swansea didn’t want it then there’s plenty of stadiums in Ireland as @Donegal Wolf pointed out that could be used with a revamp.

You'd go Glasgow 3 stadiums unless there is a rule against that? Hampden and there's no way you are going either/or on the other 2 given the politics.
I think that would be a bit of mare for Glasgow having 3/10 stadiums. Simply being 3 games a day pretty much means the city would host a match most days for 10days running. Movement of fans, transport, policing, accommodation etc would be very difficult.

You can’t have Ibrox without Parkhead and vice versa unless you want the thing scarred by Sectarian nonsense. And Hampden is always going to used as it is “neutral” in that.

I don’t see what’s wrong with having a British Isles joint bid at all.

I find it amusing that the tournament can’t use the 60,000 capacity home of the six times European champions as the pitch isn’t wide enough but UEFA are happy with smaller stadiums that meet this criteria.

You can’t have Ibrox without Parkhead and vice versa unless you want the thing scarred by Sectarian nonsense. And Hampden is always going to used as it is “neutral” in that.

I don’t see what’s wrong with having a British Isles joint bid at all.

I find it amusing that the tournament can’t use the 60,000 capacity home of the six times European champions as the pitch isn’t wide enough but UEFA are happy with smaller stadiums that meet this criteria.

I don’t have a problem with it my original statement was I would’ve preferred it be just England or the other 4 nations.

Any particular reason why? I think a British Isles bid is really great and has worked before in the Rugby World Cup.
Ah...ahem....ahem......you mean a British / Irish bid of course..........

Back