• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Everton 0-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Cunha definitely had an off day. I guess he earned it though after two MOTM performances. He just never got going and suffered the same lethargy as the rest of the team. Maybe having no Nunes to help him out affected him.

Reactions: b3h
Been out today without any phone signal but it sounds a bit grim. Everton have been the worst team I have seen in the live games I have watched, didnt expect us to smash them but would have hoped not needing a motm performance from your fairly unreliable keeper was the order of the day.

Will take the points obviously.

Been out today without any phone signal but it sounds a bit grim. Everton have been the worst team I have seen in the live games I have watched, didnt expect us to smash them but would have hoped not needing a motm performance from your fairly unreliable keeper was the order of the day.

It wasn't as bad as some are making out. Wasn't like we had one attack and won after being played off the park.

It wasn't good either.

Well football is a funny old game because over 90 minutes that was definitely the worst game of the 3 so far. Struggled with the press from minute 1 and when we did get out the quality just wasn’t there, our ability to choose the most passive option and fuck that up is unmatched i think.

Sa - Outstanding saves and claimed the ball multiple times from balls in to the box. Kicking still not great but make those saves and no one cares.

Semedo - Pretty good again to be fair, easier than marking Mitoma but he’s just a non entity when we have the ball which makes him frustrating to watch.

Dawson - Won a lot of headers late on. Couple of shaky moments but i’d be on edge playing next to our captain.

Kilman - That £30 million gets more crazy every time i watch him. Couple of ok blocks but then some woeful defending and his passing is appalling. Stop clipping it to Tarkowski and Branthwaite.

Bueno - Did ok defensively but not troubled massively. Has to do better with the ball in the final third more when he gets there a lot.

Lemina - Thought he struggled to really influence the game in anyway really. Over run but Everton never capitalised. Could do without the stupid yellows because we can’t afford suspensions for shit like that and just makes putting challenges in more risky.

Gomes - Pretty much repeat of what i said for Lemina. Think we need more from them like we had at Old Trafford.

Neto - Tons of space but just doesn’t or can’t take anyone on down the right. When he did his right foot just isn’t good enough. That being said it was a great ball in for the goal and it won us the game. Has to do that more or back to the left asap.

Cunha - The worst i’ve seen him play for us, genuinely forgot he was playing early on. Then lots of loose touches and never looked a threat. Bad game after 2 promising ones and hopefully back to form next week which we know he’s capable of.

Hwang - Not sure what this performance was. Back to the Hwang before the world cup. Could be out for a while with his hammy.

Fabio - The good, the bad and the ugly at the moment. Absolutely awful for 30 minutes with everything just bouncing off him or him bouncing off Branthwaite. Much better second half, didn’t actually give the ball away and held it up. Great finish for the offside goal followed by a worse miss than last week when given time and 1 on 1. 100% had to go round Pickford this week. Has to start taking those chances or his game time will rightly dwindle but he does keep getting chances.

Subs

RAN - Definitely an option in that advanced role. Sloppy at times but is a threat with how he carries the ball.

Sarabia - Got in a couple of great positions but far too slow in making his decision. Definitely something there but still hasn’t come to terms with the pace of this league yet. Seems the leader of the pack player wise though, got them in a huddle last week after the game and he was at the front waving the players over to the fans today.

Sasa - So glad that he got his goal and don’t care what it come off, he’s done well going backwards under that pressure to get enough on it. Definitely an option and probably worth a start at some point soon if not next week. Not as busy as the others obviously but can hold it up and bring others in to play.

Toti - Did what he had to for the 10 mins he was on. Good option to have to bring on at that time.

Genuinely just an awful game of football but anyone expecting us to turn up and smash Everton today it just wasn’t going to happen. They aren’t a good team but Dyche was always going to get them busier today than last week and that happened. They battered Fulham in their first home game too but wrongly disallowed goal apart couldn’t put it in the net much like today.

O’Neil definitely needs to look at a couple of things both with and without the ball. Despite the assist I don’t think we can persist with Neto on the right unless he’s going to start cutting in and crossing/shooting. Not sure how we fix the Kilman issue without signing someone else as he just makes the same mistakes no matter the manager.

Really interesting to see us next week against Palace as they’re obviously better than Everton and have better ball carriers. If we can get something then 4/6 points from 4 games isn’t too bad when you look at all the negativity around the club.

It was a terrible spectacle, but Everton were equally as responsible as us for making it an awful game in terms of quality.

BMB, well it started off really ponderously. No energy at all. Everton were brighter and faster to the ball as evidenced by them squandering 3 decent chances.
Sa made some saves, made some great saves and at one point rushed out to chase an 'Oh fuck me no' ball and headed it clear!
Great stuff. Fabio missed a decent chance, Cunho missed his mate in midfield and found it really hard to get into the game.
Kilman did Kilman things with nothing brilliant to redeem himself. Dawson was the real man in charge at the back whilst Sa continued to rack up MOM points.
O'Neil raised his voice at half time and there was a marked increase in thinking, play and how we played, Fabio was released and bore down on an advancing Pickford, but instead of chipping it over him, instead of waltzing around him, instead of slotting underneath him, he allowed the spectre of the sum total of his games for Wolves to rise up, kept his cool and slotted it wide of the stranded Pickford and wide of the fucking post.
Sa completed a brilliant save by being wrong footed and twisting in the air lifted a shot over the bar which was his penultimate contribution to an outstanding display. Fabio and a still struggling Cunha were replaced by Ran and Sasa and the awful quality of the game fizzed and spluttered until, still stuck out on the right Neto, once again slowed it down, switched it to his left foot and put in a perfect cross, around 7 feet off the ground for Sasa to steer it to Pickford's right and into the net. Some debate whether it actually came off his shoulder or his head but after 87 minutes, who cares. Podence certainly wouldn't have got it and it's doubtful whether Fabio would have either.
A shocking game of really poor quality, by both teams, watched by around 38,000 fans most of whom went home wondering if Dyche was gonna be there after Christmas.
That's more or less what I think went on.
If you want to know what really happened it'll be in the papers soon enough.
It won't be much fun reading the Liverpool echo though.

We were always going to struggle in an attacking sense with the front 4 playing as bad as they did. Fabio was woeful (loose touches, poor passes, weak, poor anticipation, constantly just gesturing for ball over the top) but at least I noticed he was on the pitch, Hwang and Cunha may as well have still been in the changing room. Neto had a lot of ball but is pretty much no threat with it and way off quality to wise.

Second half Fabio started holding it a bit more, RAN was more useful than Hwang and we had a spell where we were well on top and should have scored. Then the game reverted back to type and Everton had a spell but then we get the late goal. A welcome 3 points.

I honestly think Dyche just brings you down to their level. You can’t press them as they just skip the midfield anyway and then they just force you wide/long when you have the ball and we didn’t have the quality there or options from the forwards in the middle to create anything.

"On second-half improvements

“There was just an understanding of where we needed to be and where people needed to stand. It was important because they’re a keen and willing group, and sometimes they move too much, they’ve been used to playing in a way which is quite free and it’s important they learn to be in the right positions."

Being more rigid in our play isn't something I'd look forward to happening tbh.

Dycheball plays huge part in a game of football being a terrible watch shocker
Everton drag everyone down to their level. Christ knows how they stay up every year

This is probably overly simplistic but it seems we're struggling a bit in midfield with just Gomes and Lemina. Since the utd game have opposition set up to negate them and would we be better off with 3 in midfield?

"On second-half improvements

“There was just an understanding of where we needed to be and where people needed to stand. It was important because they’re a keen and willing group, and sometimes they move too much, they’ve been used to playing in a way which is quite free and it’s important they learn to be in the right positions."

Sometimes they move too much?! One of the issues was the lack of movement from the forwards in the first half!

Sometimes they move too much?! One of the issues was the lack of movement from the forwards in the first half!
Not what I saw at all; there were a lot of good runs made in the first half that were completely ignored.

Can’t do with all that “group” bollocks, it’s like a few years ago when he pitch was referred to as “the park”.

Back