• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ex-players/managers you admire(d) and miss the most

And of course Mick McCarthy. Comfortably the best manager in my time supporting the club.
I'll always remember the promotion season fondly. Simply the best season I've had in 25 years of support.

Such a shame Mick's tenure ended the way it did.

Sir Jack (I know he is neither, but surely you understand)
Dougan
Knowles
Bull

In recent years, at a push perhaps Keane, Fletcher, Jarvis and Sako in terms of ability. They are not in the same sentence as the men above though.

Graham Turner
Mick McCarthy

Bully
Mutch
Cook
Thommo
Keane
Murray
Stowell
Foley
Ward - That man would run through brick walls if you asked him

and a ton more

Mo Camara. Fairly bobbins, but god he was a trier. I remember one game where he set of on one of his crazy runs, accidentally beat half a dozen players and put in a perfect cross for a goal. And then turned to the BW stand with a look on his face that was 'I dont know how the fuck I did that, but wasnt it awesome?'

Basically as if a randomer had been plucked from the crowd and given a shirt.

Best moment for me was him lining up a 30 yarder to proceed to hammer it over the South Bank. An incredible Feat.

Bloody hell - how could I forget him! Probably my favourite player when I was younger!

From my youth, Waggy and Mike Bailey (most of that era's players actually but don't want to be a boring old fart)
"Recent years" Bully.
Managers.....meh....don't miss any.....don't really care about managers, although I appreciate what Graham Turner did.

From my youth, Waggy and Mike Bailey (most of that era's players actually but don't want to be a boring old fart)
"Recent years" Bully.
Managers.....meh....don't miss any.....don't really care about managers, although I appreciate what Graham Turner did.

Why not - I find that getting older means that I don't really care as much about what others think - the whole of that team was worth putting on here Parkes (Pierce), Parkin, Palmer, McCalle, Munro, Bailey, Hibbitt, Wagstaffe, Dougan, Richards, Sunderland, Powell

Why not - I find that getting older means that I don't really care as much about what others think - the whole of that team was worth putting on here Parkes (Pierce), Parkin, Palmer, McCalle, Munro, Bailey, Hibbitt, Wagstaffe, Dougan, Richards, Sunderland, Powell

Yeah, you're right

Not forgetting woodfield, Carr, Daley, kindon.....

Can we throw in Bobby Thompson, and Gerry Taylor to this impressive list. I would like to mention Peter Broadbent, but I only saw him play a couple of times towards the end of his career.

Matty Murray. I can forgive him any amount of rubbishness as a pundit for being amazing when he was here.

Jo lescott I always cheer on when he's playing, and I keep an eye out for Keith curle and Paul cooks teams when they're managing.

Can we throw in Bobby Thompson, and Gerry Taylor to this impressive list. I would like to mention Peter Broadbent, but I only saw him play a couple of times towards the end of his career.

I really liked Bobby Thomson (no "p", Frank), Peter Knowles, Dave Wagstaffe, and, from an earlier era, Johnny Hancocks, Jimmy Mullen, Bert Williams, Billy Wright, Bill Slater, Peter Broadbent, and Ron Flowers. As for managers, Mick McCarthy is right up there, so is Stan Cullis.

Turner and McCarthy. 2 decent men who through their own success ended up out of their depth.

Kendall Bellamy Streete Robertson Thompson Dennison Downing Robinson Holmes Mutch Bull - these players made me fall in love with Wolves when I was 11. Winning the Sherpa Van in front of 80,000 is something I'll never forget. Not convinced our current line up would beat them either and I'm not saying that flippantly!

Neil Emblen. Top man. You could just tell he really loved playing for wolves.

Neither a player or a manager, but I will not forget Councillor John Bird. Without him and Dick Homden, there might not have been a Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Let's get this on the right thread. Mark Kendal, Gary Pierce for that league cup final performance, Steve Bull for enthusing a generation and Emlyn Hughes for 1980

Welcome back Cyber Man. I cant argue with any of your choices. Gary Pierce in '74 had the game of his life, but to be fair the whole team played to their full potential. And in those days, at our best we were as good as anyone.

Welcome back Cyber Man. I cant argue with any of your choices. Gary Pierce in '74 had the game of his life, but to be fair the whole team played to their full potential. And in those days, at our best we were as good as anyone.

Thanks mate. Great memories these guys gave me collectively over 3 decades. When footballer's still had a sense of community. It is different now

Back