• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

TWF - The Season Awards Thread (2018/19)

Jinky

Head Brownie
Reaction score
Here we are, folks. There are a couple of other threads running alongside this one for Player of the Season & Goal of the season, but lets get it all in one place. I know we have one more game to play, and we could well create another special memory or 'moment' at Anfield, given the circumstances - but at time of writing, lets see your picks from an incredible season for the following categories:

Player of the Season:

Young player of the Season:

Goal of the Season:

Most memorable moment of the season:

Unsung hero:

Most improved player:

Captain without the armband:

and finally, which player would we miss the most if they were sold this summer?

Feel free to add any categories to this thread as you see fit.

Player of the Season: Joao Moutinho.

Young player of the Season: Ruben Vinagre. He will be some player & has been unlucky not to feature more. There's an argument to put Jota in here, but I've stuck to "under 21's".

Goal of the Season: Jota v Cardiff.

Most memorable moment of the season: On a personal note, seeing Wolves at Wembley with my dad was hugely memorable. Just gutted with the outcome. I have loved watching us beat United twice, within as many weeks. Our win away from home at Wembley v Spurs was probably the other stand out.

Unsung hero: Couldn't split Jonny/Ryan Bennett here.

Most improved player: In terms of this season alone, where Jota started to where he is now, is incredible. He genuinely scares the shit out of the opposition. He has turned some world class defenders inside out. So in terms of this season alone, I have to pick Jota. But a special mention in here for Matt Doherty. Where he has come from, what he has seen since day 1 at Wolves, to where he is now - that is some story.

Captain without the armband: Joao Moutinho, closely followed by Big Willy.

and finally, which player would we miss the most if they were sold this summer? Raul Jimenez. We're just not the same side when he isn't on the pitch. Jota/Coady just in behind him.

Player of the Season:

João Moutinho. An absolute masterclass in midfield play. Such a joy to watch him play. If we have one priority in the summer it should be to get this guy signed up on a longer contract.

Rúben Neves. 21 when the season started so he falls into your 'under 21's' bracket. Adapted well to a new league, a new midfield partnership and an ever so slightly new position. The performances at home against Leicester, both home & away vs Everton, home against Arsenal and at home against United (twice) were phenomenal. I think he's improved massively and can't wait to see him kick on even further next season. Plus he's added a few more thunderbastards and outrageous passes to his collection.

Goal of the Season:

Jota vs Cardiff. Amazing. Never thought I'd watch a Wolves side capable of scoring goals like this.

The cup win against United. I will never forget the scenes in the South Bank in the 2nd half of that game as long as I live.

Unsung hero:

Jonny or Patrício. They've both been excellent.

Most improved player:

Doherty. There are threads on Spurs & United boards where they're discussing whether or not they should try and sign him in the summer. I've never seen any Wolves player develop their game to the extent he has. A credit to himself and to Nuno's backroom staff.

We only need one captain. Conor Coady. Fucking legend that he is.

Well, we'd certainly struggle to replace Moutinho's quality. He won't leave though so I'll pick someone else.

Coady? Jiménez? Jota?

They're all so important to how we play.

Then there's Jonny/Doherty who don't have much behind them apart from Vinagre, if we sold one of them we'd need 2 or 3 in to replace them.

I'm going to go for Boly though. We need to be improving the quality in our back 3 in the summer, losing our stand out best defender would set us back the most I think.

Player of the Season:
Moutinho. Class from start to finish.

Vinagre. Great player in the making.

Goal of the Season:
I went for Jota's winner against Leicester in the official vote, but I love his goal against Cardiff.

Hard to pick one really. Finishing 7th last night.

Unsung hero:
Bennett. It ultimately showed when Saiss replaced him for a few games.

Most improved player:
Easy to say Doherty. Amazing contribution this season.

Moutinho probably.

Jimenez is the obvious answer, but the way that Jota has played for the last 5 months is incredible.

Player of the Season: Jimenez. It was a toss-up between him and Moutinho, and while Joao is the better player, Raul has been much more vital to how we play.

Young player of the Season: Feels like I'm cheating to include Jota or Neves - Ruben Vinagre. Fast, skillful, and brings a real threat down the left. The fact that one of our most effective attacking changes is to bring on a young left-back (even with our bench) is impressive.

Goal of the Season: Jota v Cardiff.

Most memorable moment of the season: Jota's goal against Man United in the cup. The whole second-half of that game was phenomenal.

Unsung hero: Jonny.

Most improved player: Jota. The formation tweak has suited him perfectly, the way he runs at defenders now is frightening and he links up so well with Raul. Doherty a close second.

Captain without the armband: Ruben Neves.

and finally, which player would we miss the most if they were sold this summer? Very much doubt Jimenez is leaving so Conor Coady. Would be hard to find someone who plays his role while also bringing the leadership at the back, not to mention the team would miss that voice in the dressing room.

Player of the Season:

Jimenez... but not by much. Moutinho is a Rolls Royce, Jota is our tireless harrier, Coady our fearless leader... but Jimenez is the fulcrum on which it all spins. This season's Wolves would simply not function without him, to a greater extent than any other player.

Young Player of the Season:

Vinagre. Don't get me wrong, Gibbs-White showed flashes of incredible potential (the way he grabbed the Chelsea match by the scruff of the neck will live long in the memory), but Vinny has the raw materials to be a truly superb footballer, and I fervently hope that he's going to be an integral part of the squad for years to come.

Goal of the Season:

I mentioned it in the other thread, but Jota vs. Cardiff. Outrageously fluid team goal- it's not that we've got one player who can conjure up a wonder goal, it's that so much of the team can take part in a goal like that. The single goal that best defines Nuno's Wolves.

Any given part of the FA Cup quarter-final, but Jota's goal is a good singular moment. The best match-day experience I've ever had, by an order of magnitude.

Unsung hero:

Several of our players have gained wider attention this year (Neves, Jota, Doherty), but I haven't really seen Jonny be widely discussed, and he's amazing, so him. What an embarrassment of riches we have in our team nowadays.

Most improved player:

If you told me this time last year that Matt Doherty would thrive in the Premier League, I'd have laughed in your face. Even with his improvement last season, there was absolutely no sign he'd be able to take the step up that he has this season; all credit to him.

Got to be Moutinho. We should never underestimate the impact of having an older experienced head such as his in the set-up- I don't doubt that our younger players will benefit enormously from playing and training with him.

Which player would we miss the most if they were sold this summer?

As before, this is really tight between Moutinho and Jimenez, but I swing towards Jimenez. So many of this season's amazing moments simply wouldn't have happened without him, and he leads our style of play right from the front. Indispensable.

Player of the Season: Coady. Our leader, our heartbeat and so reliable.

Young player of the Season: Has to be Vinagre really. Not once has he let us down even when playing against big time opposition. Going to be an incredible player if he has the right mentality.

Goal of the Season: Lots of contenders here but Raul at Wembley for me. Then just forget everything else that happened after that on that day.

Most memorable moment of the season: Benno's tackle on Willian. Season changer, that.

Unsung hero: Everyone seems to get their fair share of praise so I'll go for the coaching staff and in particular Antonio Dias. Our availability record is unreal and it's not a fluke.

Most improved player: Has to be Doherty. From someone I'd have paid to get rid of two years ago, who was a big tub of fuck with a terrible attitude who constantly cost us and looked out of his depth in a rubbish Championship side, to a top performer in the 7th best team in the country. And he's improved a lot just within this season too, I feared the worst after Everton and especially Leicester.

Captain without the armband: Joao has the ability to run a game and just calm things down when we need it, of course he's incredibly well respected by the rest of the players because well...he's Joao Moutinho.

and finally, which player would we miss the most if they were sold this summer? Jota. But fingers crossed it won't happen.

Player of the Season: Matt Doherty - has been brilliant all season got us some really important goal

Young player of the Season: Vinagre for reasons stated by others

Goal of the Season: Jota vs Man United in the cup

Most memorable moment of the season: that game against Leicester!

Unsung hero: Jonny has been brilliant

Most improved player: Doherty did not think he’d make the jump up to the too flight but he has been phenomenal

Captain without the armband: Moutinho the best all round midfielder I’ve seen at Molineux

Player of the Season: Joao Moutinho. A genuine pleasure to see him wearing a Wolves shirt. He oozes class.

Young player of the Season: Have to agree with Vinagre - he's going to be very special.

Goal of the Season: Jota v Cardiff. Liquid football.

Most memorable moment of the season: Personally, it was the Man Utd game in the cup. Just amazing - seeing grown men cry when we went 2-0 was something I'll never forget!! If only we'd have seen it through at Wembley, that would have won it for me but I can't forget the heartbreak at the end.

Unsung hero: Leander Dendoncker's inclusion in the starting XI and the subsequent change in formation was the catalyst behind our best form and our best performances. The guy is a machine. £12m is a daft fee to pay for someone so young and so talented.

Most improved player: Going to have to be Matt Doherty. One of the best full backs in the country going by his performances this season. He's invaluable.

Captain without the armband: I think most of the squad are leaders on the pitch - there are some very strong personalities out there. Moutinho is the obvious answer but I think Neves will eventually become a superb captain.

which player would we miss the most if they were sold this summer? Jimenez or Jota. We must not break up the best partnership we've had since Bull/Keane or even Bull/Mutch.

Player of the Season: Coady. Love the bloke, essential to the team (if often overlooked).

Young player of the Season: MGW - dropped off now, but was great for a good part of the season. Going to be a heck of a player.

Goal of the Season: Jota against Cardiff. Beautiful goal.

Most memorable moment of the season: Beating Utd in the cup, brilliant, brilliant night.

Unsung hero: Coady

Most improved player: Doc I guess. All have done better than I thought they would do (possible exception of Costa).

Captain without the armband: Rui Patricio

and finally, which player would we miss the most if they were sold this summer? Jota.

Player of the Season: I voted Jiminez in the other thread but I think I'm gonna go Mou after a bit more thought. Pretty consistent through the season, played most (all?) games, tireless, his pressing has directly changed matches for us.

Young player of the Season: Vinagre. Wish he'd gotten more time.

Goal of the Season: Jota against Cardiff. Hard to say otherwise.

Most memorable moment of the season: Gotta be the cup run. So the quarter win against ManU, for a specific moment.

Unsung hero: Bennett. Most everyone else gets their due, but Benno is assumed to be the first off, called the weakest link, etc. Regardless of whether that's true or not, he's had a thoroughly solid season for us.

Most improved player: Throughout the season, Jota. Whether it was the formation change or injury or both or neither... What a difference between the two halves of the season.

Captain without the armband: Mou again

and finally, which player would we miss the most if they were sold this summer? Coady. Neither Boly or Bennett have the command that Coady does in the back as he organizes everyone, he's the first to get on someones back if they're out of position, etc... he's captain so his leadership can only be undersold so much, but if he was gone there would be a leadership gap left in his place. I think Neves will eventually fill that role.

Player of the Season: I voted Jiminez in the other thread and am sticking with it. He has been immense although Jota runs him close post December.
Young player of the Season: Vinagre. Easy decision

Goal of the Season: There havent been any worldys like last year but there have been some really good ones. Doherty v Palace is my personal favourite.

Most memorable moment of the season: Does this have to be positive? I will never forget the cup semi final while VAR checked the decision. It seemed like an age and every second that passed my heart sank further. It was an awful awful despairing feeling that I do not want to repeat. But I will never forget it.

Unsung hero: I am going for Dendoncker here. We are so much better with him in there and his energy, runs and workrate are right up there. Hugely underatted and I was so pleased he scored at the weekend to virtually assure us of 7th place.

Most improved player: I am going for Jimenez here. There was debate on here from August to November about his ability to finish clinically but after he scored v Chelsea there has been no stopping him. The understanding he has with Jota is awesome. Jonny too has gone from strength to strength this season so gets an honourable mention.
Captain without the armband: John Ruddy. He is there on the sidelines , talking , congratulating, motivating, consoling and generally showing how integral he is to the squad. Especially given that he was in the team of the season last year and reduced to cup games this season he has taken it impressively and perfromaed in the cups bar the Shrewsbury replay!

and finally, which player would we miss the most if they were sold this summer? Jota. The little guy is a real pain in the arse to opposition defenders.

Probably not going to go against the stream that much as what has been said mirrors my views:

Player of the Season: Moutinho - has been imperious

Young player of the Season: If we are not going with Jota or Neves as 'just being outside' the young player category then Vinagre - really wanted him to be used a bit more (& even in the PL there were games that we could have done)

Goal of the Season: Have to go with Jota v Cardiff - liquid football

Most memorable moment of the season: MU cup Qtr Final - the atmosphere was electric that night (alternative would be the home game v Arsenal when we completely dominated & destroyed an established top 6 side)

Unsung hero: Will go Jonny - never less than 7 out of 10 performances, if he had a touch more pace then he wouldn't be here

Most improved player: Doherty - never thought that he could step up enough to cope. OK the system has suited, but he still had to perform & he has (Bennett gets a mention for a couple of incredible goal saving tackles that he should not have been able to make)

Captain without the armband: Patricio

and finally, which player would we miss the most if they were sold this summer? - Coady - we will find other players with quality, but he clearly has the club in his blood now & is the one who organises & makes it work.

Player of the Season: Sticking with Boly, he is just consistently excellent. I don't think he would look out of place in any of the top six teams. He would improve Chelsea, Arsenal and United for sure.

Young player of the Season: Gibbs-White. Had a real impact on our season at a time where we really needed it. Think he is only going to keep improving. Such a talent at only 19 year olds.

Goal of the Season: Still going to say Jota v Leicester, the last minute winner. The pass by Ruben is sensational, and the assist from Raul is so composed and it's a cracking finish! All in the dying seconds of the game.

Most memorable moment of the season: The scenes during and after Jota's goal against United. Never seen anything like it at Molineux.

Unsung hero: Saiss. A really useful squad member that was unlucky to feature so little in the first half of the season, but put in performances in different positions and chipped in with a couple of important goals (Fulham, West Ham) too.

Most improved player: Hard not to say Doherty. Most goal contributions of any 'defender' after Robertson and TAA (who have set records this season themselves). Neutrals were even discussing him as team of the season candidates if I remember correctly!

Captain without the armband: Neves. The longer we manage to keep hold of him the quicker we will grow as a team I think.

and finally, which player would we miss the most if they were sold this summer? Have to say Diogo at this stage. He could get near to 20 league goals next season if he performs next season at the rate he did since December. He's capable and people are starting to take notice of him.

Player of the Season: Sticking with Boly, he is just consistently excellent. I don't think he would look out of place in any of the top six teams. He would improve Chelsea, Arsenal and United for sure.

Shush.

(In all seriousness, given what we'd ask, none of those clubs are likely to pay it for someone who turns 29 next season)

Even if people have chosen others than what I have - you can look at it & see the merit of their choice.

Really didn't think I would see this again (& with the strong possibility of moving on up from here)

A few years ago we were welcoming Swindon & Walsall in League 1 - this has been worth every penny I have spent this season!

I thought Patricio was a slightly odd choice for captain without an armband, but Ruddy is just bonkers!

Rui might look like a grumpy bastard (he is a grumpy bastard) but he does a lot vocally.

It speaks volumes to Ruddy's professionalism that he can spend virtually the whole season on the bench but still turn out performances like he did against Leicester/Liverpool. It's an odd question tbf!

Actually I'll chuck in my own save of the season award:

1) Rui vs Man City (Sterling) in the home game. Incredible

2) Ruddy's fingertip at home to Liverpool in the cup. Don't have a clue how he got there and it's in without his touch

3) Rui on Saturday vs Fulham. Don't care if it didn't count for anything as the whistle had gone. Worldy

Player of the Season: Moutinho

Young player of the Season: Jota, Vinagre by default if U21

Goal of the Season: Jota vs Cardiff

Most memorable moment of the season: Jota vs Utd in QF

Unsung hero: Donck

Most improved player: Jota (I’m not referring to his jump around October, he’s now one of the best players in the league)

Captain without the armband: Moutinho, there isn’t really anyone else. Ruddy the only possible other.

Most missed player: Jota. I think with a slight tactical tweak we could get by without Jiminez. But realistically we’d struggle if either didn’t play.

Back