• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[FA Cup 3rd Rnd] Brentford 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Just on my way back across London.

This ref clearly thinks we dive too much. He gave us nothing, sometimes rightly but often scandalously. He wasn't even looking when Doyle was stamped on and was waving players away dismissively. And the VAR just backed him up. Why can't the best league in the world just invest in the world's best referees?

I thought we were the better team with 11 and also for the 10 minute spell after we scored (what a finish and what a reaction from the players).

We needed half time to come after the red as we were playing 5-4-0 and looked clueless. Second half, the shape was much better and it's no surprise that Neto looked a class above when he came on and really sparked us into action.

Very happy with the draw, with the team work ethic, and some standout performances from Cunha, Neto and Doyle.

Special mention for us lot in the crowd - unbelievable support throughout.

EDIT: oh, and Brentford were shit. Clueless going forward, shaky at the back, and their fans were dismal.
Agree with all this. Sarabia felt like a luxury once we went down to 10 too, that first half felt worse than being 1 man down albeit never felt Brentford were going to do much either. Goal involved a fair chunk of luck.

Brentford fans, if that's all they had to offer then they wouldn't be missed in the Prem. I see far more from Wimbledon fans when I get to their odd game.

He was. Just before it went dark, good on him.
It was like The Undertaker was about to come out. That’s when Gary should have dropped the nut on Frank.

Agree with all this. Sarabia felt like a luxury once we went down to 10 too, that first half felt worse than being 1 man down albeit never felt Brentford were going to do much either. Goal involved a fair chunk of luck.

Brentford fans, if that's all they had to offer then they wouldn't be missed in the Prem. I see far more from Wimbledon fans when I get to their odd game.
We'll have 20k in Molineux in 2 weeks and you'll hear the players voices echo. Just the reality of the FA Cup for PL teams at this stage tbf

I like how butt hurt the fans on their forum are about Sa at the end. "celebrating a draw like he won the league".

No, not celebrating the result just giving your fans some deserved shit back.

Just watched the highlights on the BBC sport app, if Gomes is a red the stamp on Doyle is nailed on, it’s so obviously premeditated, superb strike from Tommy Doyle and the Ref proved what I’ve always known, Australians should stick to ‘the footy’, they know fuck all about football.

Started alright, had a good chance to begin and should really have capitalised on it or at least had a shot.

Sending off changes the half completely. My first reaction watching that live was that it was a red card. He lunged, it was high, it injured the opponent. But everything else - awful. Not just the ref, linos were terrible too. Thought they were wrong on multiple throws and missed a couple of offside calls too, one of which ultimately leads to the free kick (throws himself into the air dramatically) where they score. Brentford throw themselves to the floor all the time, frustrating to watch even if we're all familiar now. Also think they should have had a red, I didn't see the incident at the very end however so no clue what happened.

Once down to ten men we were really bad in the first half, could not get into the game and had zero output. No shots. Brentford had a couple opportunities but were very wasteful although did manage to put the one away. We seemed like a side beaten.

Second half was a total transformation, you could barely tell we were a man down. We were so much quicker with the ball and looked to get it forwards a lot, Neto/Cunha/Bellegarde all worked really hard and connected well. Neto looked sharp, very very lively and gave Brentford a difficult time all night. Lovely goal by Doyle and he put in a lot of effort tonight but his passing still is not good enough for me, lacks quality. Doherty is also a glaring weakness for the usual reasons, especially how one-footed he is as a left back, although it's on Brentford for not targeting him. Good performance by Bueno, lots of positives.

Brentford are not very good. Their goalkeeper and Collins have shocking distribution, and they also struggled a lot with some pretty standard balls over the top, think it was Baptiste in partiular who had problems. Feel like the extra man would have made the difference there as we could not press them as much as we should have, although even without pressure Brentford struggled. They also looked devoid of ideas, kept going for the inswinging cross which was (with the exception of the goal) mopped up pretty easily by Sa and the defence.

Maybe I'm speaking with gold-tinted specs but second half it felt like there was only one potential winner and that was us. Good second half performance, great reaction to being a goal and man down (O'Neil does deserve credit there), fans in good voice, fun away day.

Glad we are still in it. Let's win the replay.

Immensely proud of the team and feel that there is a connection between the players, manager and fans, that we haven't seen since Nuno's earlier years.

Without a doubt, I respect the job Lopetegui did without liking the man, but 100% we lose that game under him. I won't get into Lage as it's late and I have things to do tomorrow :)

Immensely proud of the team and feel that there is a connection between the players, manager and fans, that we haven't seen since Nuno's earlier years.
Thats a really good result tonight given the circumstances.

We have a TEAM of gritty bastards now, and that's not something we've seen since Nuno, as you say.

Just watched the highlights on the BBC sport app, if Gomes is a red the stamp on Doyle is nailed on, it’s so obviously premeditated, superb strike from Tommy Doyle and the Ref proved what I’ve always known, Australians should stick to ‘the footy’, they know fuck all about football.
The ref is from Hartlepool, Gillett was only the support VAR and therefore not explicitly in charge of any of the games decisions.

Just on my way back across London.

This ref clearly thinks we dive too much. He gave us nothing, sometimes rightly but often scandalously. He wasn't even looking when Doyle was stamped on and was waving players away dismissively. And the VAR just backed him up. Why can't the best league in the world just invest in the world's best referees?
The thing is Gillett came with a big reputation and much fanfare from Australia.

Supposedly the PGMOL have invested in him and imported him from the other side of the World...

Trouble is, he's a useless cunt.

The FA cup still has a bit of magic about it unlike the carabao where teams use most of their fringe players.
Win the replay and then a home tie against WBA in the next round would be good.

It doesn't matter who is the ref or who is on VAR because they are all shit because they are under instructions from PGMOL. Which is utterly, utterly shit. The people running the officiating in this country need removing completely. The problem is how do you replace them.

Maybe start by having an independent panel comprised of ex-pros and intelligent independent thinkers running VAR? I don't really know the solution, I just know that PGMOL is a closed shop, and it is failing in every possible way.

The thing is Gillett came with a big reputation and much fanfare from Australia.

Supposedly the PGMOL have invested in him and imported him from the other side of the World...

Trouble is, he's a useless cunt.
I seen a fair few A League games over the years and the standard of football and refereeing is no better than Championship at best.

It doesn't matter who is the ref or who is on VAR because they are all shit because they are under instructions from PGMOL. Which is utterly, utterly shit. The people running the officiating in this country need removing completely. The problem is how do you replace them.

Maybe start by having an independent panel comprised of ex-pros and intelligent independent thinkers running VAR? I don't really know the solution, I just know that PGMOL is a closed shop, and it is failing in every possible way.
Ex-pros sounds good, but there would be accusations of bias I'm sure. You'd need a hell of a lot on the panel to ensure there was no past history when they as players, played against/supported one of the teams playing or could affect the result to the benefit of others. Then there's the gambling/corruption angle to it.
It's a whole can of worms.

Back