• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[FA Cup 4th Rnd] West Brom 0-2 Wolves: Verdict Thread

I'm not having all of this "never got out of second gear" talk, that suggests we were in control and we weren't. Largely, we were shit. They got around the back of Doc a few times in the first 15 minutes with a couple of cut backs that were intercepted, and obviously the two free headers as well.

It absolutely wasn't the case that we had them at arms length, it was that they were more shit than we were, and we had two very good finishes where they didn't.

I'm not having all of this "never got out of second gear" talk, that suggests we were in control and we weren't. Largely, we were shit. They got around the back of Doc a few times in the first 15 minutes with a couple of cut backs that were intercepted, and obviously the two free headers as well.

It absolutely wasn't the case that we had them at arms length, it was that they were more shit than we were, and we had two very good finishes where they didn't.
Fucking killjoy😀

We better in the final third, it was always going to be fragmented as a game.
It was hardly the Alamo until we went 2-0 up, they had lots of situations but very few clear cut chances.

Chances for us

Cunha hitting over the bar from 10 or so yards
Bellegarde just wide
Cunha forcing the only real save of the game
Neto goal
Cunha goal

Won't count the wide effort from Cunha as that was shit and would have had a one on one situation of Bartely hadn't gone all WWE on Cunha

Them
Free Header straight at Sa
Free Header straight at Sa
Shot bollocked over the bar from 20 yards out
Header back across goal that Kilman dealt with
Shit shot that Sa fell on (despite Matterface saying he was denied by Sa's finger tips...shut up man)

They had a few pot shots that are hardly chances really and caused a couple of scrambles off a long throw

Pretty even on that front. I think we took something off our game yesterday and of course the old classic of how to get through a very deep defence. A combination of our desire to kill the game when in possession and allowing Albion to get everyone behind the ball killed our attacking game...no surprise our goals came when Albion were out of their normal shape and we could exploit the space they had left.

If you're counting the Kilman defending you've gotta include when Doc and Cunha combined in the first half and cut the ball back and it hit one of their defenders and could've easily resulted in an OG before going behind for a corner.

I think from when we scored to half time we were in control, suddenly knocked it around much more confidently and then start of the second half we were quite skittish and loose in possession again. Got another foothold again and then scored the second.

If there's no suspension in play I fancy the game Peters out at 2-0 we retain possession with a round of 'we're Wolverhampton we're taking the piss' but the delay obviously affected how things played out and when we came back they huffed and puffed without doing much.

If there's no suspension in play I fancy the game Peters out at 2-0 we retain possession with a round of 'we're Wolverhampton we're taking the piss' but the delay obviously affected how things played out and when we came back they huffed and puffed without doing much.
Didn't do much but did create the only chance that needed a keeper to make a proper save

I thought we did exactly the right thing in playing steadily for the first 20 or so to blunt their initial rush, and look to hit them on the break.
Neto’s goal took the wind right out of their sails, and whilst 1 -0 is never enough, I thought we were increasingly in control of the game.
Sure they had a few half chances but Sa looked comfortable throughout, as did our defence for the most part.
I agree that I’d want none of their players in our squad. If they do win promotion, they’ll struggle.
The second goal finished the contest. Their energy and enthusiasm had long gone by the end.
So a workmanlike and professional performance by Wolves. Not at our best but it was what was needed.

Harsh but I have to mention re Chirewa... He's got no pace.

That chance when he was almost played through clear but just couldn't get going. He looked seriously slow. Potentially just carrying an injury?

That chance when he was almost played through clear but just couldn't get going. He looked seriously slow. Potentially just carrying an injury?
That was a wow moment. He can't be that slow, can he? Perhaps hadn't warmed up properly. If that is his real pace then he's going to have to have a hell of a lot else going for him to make a career and certainly won't suit the way we play.

I did wonder if that might have been a lack of a proper warm up? He was brought on right after the restart.

Might just be me making excuses, mind you!

Slow? Kaspars Gorrks could have given him a 5 yard head start and would have beaten him to the ball!

Yeah me and my mate looked at each other in a wtf way at that sprint. Looked like even I'd keep up with the lad, and I got out of breath cutting my toenails yesterday

I've seen him quite a few times now and I don't think he's got any pace. But he was caught flat footed and looked like he was running through treacle when that ball was played through.

Back