• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[Carabao Cup 4th Rnd] Wolves 2-0 Gillingham: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score

Good workout for the squad, and good for the manager to see our failings in person. Still lots of work to do to find his best formation and team never mind consistent performances though. It was very huff and puff for the most part. Just a few brief flashes like the first touch passing almost Moutinho goal in the first half.

Bueno (MOTM) impressive again, and a decent cameo for Hwang at the end winning the penalty and setting up RAN. Two assists for him.

Last edited:
Hugo MOTM for me. But some encouraging cameos off the bench, most notably Hwang, Raul, RAN & Nunes.

That said, for 75 minutes, we were appalling.

Is RAN ower new striker? Definite signs of improvement for me. Long way to go, of course.

I watched intermittently on a dodgy steam on a phone, so will only make 1 comment. After a month working with a new manager there are some players who started that game that should be ashamed of themselves and need lancing out of the club. Podence, Guedes and Semedo. Get what we can and bin them off, because if that's what we are getting now it isn't going to get better.

Others like Hodge and Costa aren't good enough, but that's due to being at the opposite ends of their careers.

Happy for someone to tell me I missed something

Probably quite useful, the 90 minute was pretty much a perfect summary of what and who our problems are.

Traore can do one.

He hasn't even got that explosiveness at the moment so just bin him off. I really do hope Lopetugui isn't seduced by the hype as his predecessors were. I doubt very much hes disruptive but nevertheless I'd encourage him to sign a pre contract and have him away from the squad, the way its emerged to have happened with Bennett.

I'd happily never see Semedo or Guedes play for us again either. Both of them a couple of wankers. Pound for pound they're in they're own private battle to be our biggest wastes of money.

Happy for Raul hopefully it sparks something for him. Even 70% of the player we had in 2020 will be hugely important.

Interesting that it was probably Nunes best game and it coincided with him being played in his natural position. I could get behind this not employing a wanker/L2 manager.

I still think we're bang in trouble, we need new arrivals and we need every one of them to be a hit.

We need a window as good as our first Premier League window under Nuno in the much harder winter window. Big ask.

Last edited:
I thought we were passing the ball a lot quicker than normal. I don't think we were dreadful.
Gillingham came to play for a draw and then penalties, they just packed the defence which is not easy to play against.
I agree about Podence and Semedo and Guedes, just not anywhere good enough.

Huffed and puffed for long periods, created a couple of good chances last 5 minutes of first half, even Guedes looked good, unfortunately the rest of the game he was dire. Tbf he made numerous runs but the midfield just weren't looking for forward runs.
Bueno was superb (went off a bit second half). Podence getting loads of abuse on here, I thought apart from Bueno he was the only player trying to do anything progressive.
Subs all seemed to make a difference, Hwang was excellent, maybe he's not as bad as we thought.
Gillingham as expected weren't in it, rarely got into our half, not even sure they had a shot.

Hoping the ‘6’ in ain’t bollocks because this squad needs a major uplift.

Oh dear.

I thought this game would be an opportunity for us to really go at a really poor team and build some confidence. Incorrect.

The ‘contributions’ from Podence and Guedes were laughable. Both garbage and the sooner we stop playing them the sooner we move away from this awful style.

Semedo was abysmal. Nothing new in that he can’t attack, has rocks for brains and any defensive work he had to do he did badly.

Moutinho is playing like an expensive Jack Price, offers little. Doesnt contribute anymore than Joe Hodge. Neves basically played CB against 5-5-0. Stupid.

Costa barely touched the ball and moved around. But we don’t play into the forward, don’t cross and don’t move off him. Thankless task.

Sa had nothing to do but a poor pass out would have been a goal in the PL. Collins and Kilman nothing to do but also didn’t force the issue or make anything happen as spare men.

Bueno was decent thoroughout.

Adama came on and did bugger all. Got out paced by their LB who was limping for 10 mins. He’s lost his explosiveness (forever or not I don’t know) and the rest of his game is so far off it he can’t compensate. Might be on the scrap heap like an NFL running back.

Hwang and Nunes were good. Need to play ahead of Moutinho and the them pair up top.

We need 5 or 6 players ASAP which is tragic with the momey we’ve spent. We need to move away from this 4-3-3 and cutting the ball back. Guedes and Podence aren’t attacking the box. Costa makes a near post run, ball goes over his head and bounces away for a GK. Why are you standing still on the edge of the box!? The cutbacks get cut out everytime and if they don’t those two mess it up anyway and lose it without getting a shot on goal.

Sorry for the rant but this team needs major surgery and fed up of half of them.

It’s tough to really go for teams when they have everyone behind the ball. We couldn’t break them down until the pen and as soon as they gave us room, we looked slightly better. Lots of work for Julen to do and the real test starts next Monday

It’s tough to really go for teams when they have everyone behind the ball. We couldn’t break them down until the pen and as soon as they gave us room, we looked slightly better. Lots of work for Julen to do and the real test starts next Monday
I take the broader point, not sure it's applicable against literally the worst side in the 92 though. 12 of the 17 who played today are full Internationals, they need to be able to break a team like that down in the first 20 mins and then the game opens up.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter, it's more what it suggests for at least the next 3 much more important games

Traore can do one.

He hasn't even got that explosiveness at the moment so just bin him off. I really do hope Lopetugui isn't seduced by the hype as his predecessors were. I doubt very much hes disruptive but nevertheless I'd encourage him to sign a pre contract and have him away from the squad, the way its emerged to have happened with Bennett.

I'd happily never see Semedo or Guedes play for us again either. Both of them a couple of wankers. Pound for pound they're in they're own private battle to be our biggest wastes of money.

Happy for Raul hopefully it sparks something for him. Even 70% of the player we had in 2020 will be hugely important.

Interesting that it was probably Nunes best game and it coincided with him being played in his natural position. I could get behind this not employing a wanker/L2 manager.

I still think we're bang in trouble, we need new arrivals and we need every one of them to be a hit.

We need a window as good as our first Premier League window under Nuno in the much harder winter window. Big ask.
Said exactly that about Guedes and Semedo. I really hoped Deutsch’s opinion of Guedes would be proven to be wrong but he nailed it. Get rid for whatever we can recoup as he’s just not suited to the PL.

The one positive was we looked to close down quicker, but on the downside the horseshoe of doom was still in evidence but not as bad as previously. Hopefully Cunha and other new players will make us less predictable in the final third, if not we won’t score enough goals to stay up.

I take the broader point, not sure it's applicable against literally the worst side in the 92 though
Just about to say the same thing.

It’s relevant against a well organised top team not a rabble bottom of L2.

You’re not going to score goals if your standing still, moving the ball at snails pace, not getting in the box, not crossing it and refusing/unable to play through the middle.

Passing to Bueno only for him to cut it back to their midfielder is not going to lead to goals. Neither is crossing it at knee height or 50 yards over everyone’s head.

Said exactly that about Guedes and Semedo. I really hoped Deutsch’s opinion of Guedes would be proven to be wrong but he nailed it. Get rid for whatever we can recoup as he’s just not suited to the PL.

The one positive was we looked to close down quicker, but on the downside the horseshoe of doom was still in evidence but not as bad as previously. Hopefully Cunha and other new players will make us less predictable in the final third, if not we won’t score enough goals to stay up.
Said to my lad oh fuck we've got the horseshoe of doom still, it was just 50 yds further forward..

We literally just pull it back to the edge of the penalty area - must be so easy to defend against.

Its no surprise when Hwang & RAN ran towards goal we created and scored.

Back