• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[FA Cup Quarter-Final] Wolves 2-3 Coventry: Verdict Thread

Not displeased to have missed a SF where we would likely have been outnumbered due to neutral tickets, losing to them would only be marginally less worse than losing to the Scousers, with the press fornicating over them. A bit defeatist I get that, but winning the cup doesn't float my boat in the way it used to.

Anyway, we still beat the Albion and no one can take that away.

Not displeased to have missed a SF where we would likely have been outnumbered due to neutral tickets, losing to them would only be marginally less worse than losing to the Scousers, with the press fornicating over them. A bit defeatist I get that, but winning the cup doesn't float my boat in the way it used to.

A bit defeatist? We probably won’t get closer to an FA Cup final again in my lifetime!

A bit defeatist? We probably won’t get closer to an FA Cup final again in my lifetime!
Why not? No-one was expecting a run to the QFs this year at the start of the season.

I’m still devastated, us as a club don’t get to pick and choose when we go to Wembley.
Personally I think we’d have had real chance v Man Utd, they beat us twice but have been shocking doing so.
If we’ve got one major trophy won by the time I die I’d ecstatic, the thought of parading the FA Cup down Darlington Street is something I’ve always wanted to see.

Football is about winning stuff ultimately or getting to finals. Only so many times you can come between 8th-17th in the PL before it becomes mundane, beating the super 6 yeah it’s good but they’re ones who still have all the fun when the season comes to its close.

Why not? No-one was expecting a run to the QFs this year at the start of the season.
Balance of probabilities. I’ve seen four semifinals in 50 years so getting to one against a team we’ve matched performance-wise is not something to be taken lightly. I’d feel a lot better if Coventry had drawn Man City.

Balance of probabilities. I’ve seen four semifinals in 50 years so getting to one against a team we’ve matched performance-wise is not something to be taken lightly. I’d feel a lot better if Coventry had drawn Man City.
Just think of the Man City v Watford FA Cup Final and relax

(delaying levels of fuming will follow if Man City dont win the Cup with ease though)

Exactly, it's a similar mindset to "we're not ready for Europe" it's small time and weird not to want to win every game and competition we enter.

Yep again embrace the rewards of doing well don’t view them as a bad thing plus European trips in a genuine competition not a pre season piss up are so rare.
Plus if we got into the conference league it’s a genuine route to winning stuff bit like being in the FA cup with the super 6 all being knocked out.

Yep again embrace the rewards of doing well don’t view them as a bad thing plus European trips in a genuine competition not a pre season piss up are so rare.
Plus if we got into the conference league it’s a genuine route to winning stuff bit like being in the FA cup with the super 6 all being knocked out.
Absolutely, was a bit surprised by the 'stick a pin' in the chasing euro thread comments (guessing it was more a kick back at Saturday thing).
As long as we're in the conversation I'm interested, however much it's a very minor chance. I was particularly pissed off by Villa not stuffing West Ham.

Absolutely, was a bit surprised by the 'stick a pin' in the chasing euro thread comments (guessing it was more a kick back at Saturday thing).
Agreed, particularly as it could be argued that without the "distraction" and extra games that the cup gives us, we are actually in a stronger position to fight for Europe now.

As long as we're in the conversation I'm interested, however much it's a very minor chance. I was particularly pissed off by Villa not stuffing West Ham.

I don’t think we’ll make it but definitely want us to, playing in Europe no matter what competition raises the profile of the club.
Also around Europe people don’t view the lesser European competitions with the snobbery that some English clubs do.

I think the snobbery comes from the constant propaganda that the media drive into us that the Premier League is all that matters.

If it were a purely mathematical chance as it was under Lage (West Ham were equally as shite so never pulled away, but we couldn't beat an egg so people were kidding themselves for far too long) I'd give up on it, but on the whole we're playing at least as well as everyone else in contention. Cunha being back is huge.

Of course it's no chance if we play like we did on Saturday, which was pound for pound our worst showing of the season by a distance.

I'm under no illusion as to how unlikely it is but while there is a mathematical chance and providing we can pick up our performances after the weekend, I'll be interested in our games and also the games of those around us. I'm not sure there's any point being a football fan otherwise.

I think the reality of what we’ve missed out on has hit hard this morning for some reason.
Strip it back an FA cup semi final at Wembley v Manchester United? And some think it’s not a big deal?
Simply ask why do you follow football? For moments like that? Or coming 10th in the PL that no one remembers. The PL seasons will start to blend into each other eventually and you’ll have to look up what incidents happened in what season.

I don't particularly like the [Wembley] stadium, the surroundings are terrible from a fan experience, it's very expensive and getting there and back it often a nightmare given the kick off times.

But I'm absolutely gutted that we're not going.

This was a massive chance missed as QF home draws against lower league opposition don't exactly come around too often, albeit we were very much second best on the day and could and should have been on the receiving end of an even more embarrassing scoreline. 2-3 flattered us greatly but the worst part for me was when we inexplicably got in front - how giving the ball away with backheal flicks in dangerous areas and failing to cut out simple passes and crosses is acceptable is ridiculous. Row Z and reset is required at times like that. It was the same as giving away the winner against Man United when once again we were getting something from a game that seemed highly unlikely only minutes before. Unfortunately of both occasions it's been our experienced senior pros that were most culpable.

With our run in and Cunha back, we can hopefully still make Europe though.

Back