• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fulham 0 - 3 Wolves Verdict thread

It's midnight, here in Saudi and I have to be up at 5am but this was worth staying up for. Bloody fantastic. A great 'shop window' for my pal the Sheikh to plough £5bn into our club! Just one thing -KEEP THIS TEAM AND FORMATION, KENNY!

Top win! Price and Batth have really steadied the team.

All 3 goals from distance as well - when did we start shooting from range?!

It seems as though the return of Batth to the line-up has had an immediate effect to our back line despite the view many have of him being average at best, will be interested to hear the reports of fans that went tonight regarding the performance of Hause and Golbourne.

A win Saturday makes the start of the season not look so bad. Sounds daft but we won with such ease in the end we probably managed to conserve a lot of energy for Saturday.

He didn't want to go in the first place. We insisted he was surplus to requirements and he, by all accounts, was gutted

Just seen a pic of him this evening - wearing gold and black boots....!

I also think it has helped the defence that Martinez has been given the chance to settle into the side now. From the performance against Brighton he has looked very assured

After the game KJ paid tribute to Steve Morgan:

He has been great for me personally and I wish him well for the future

I also think it has helped the defence that Martinez has been given the chance to settle into the side now. From the performance against Brighton he has looked very assured

Will wait till he is really tested (which he wasn't at all tonight) before making a final judgement, but needs to get a decent run in the team (unless he fucks up completely)

Will wait till he is really tested (which he wasn't at all tonight) before making a final judgement, but needs to get a decent run in the team (unless he fucks up completely)

I would say he was properly tested vs Brighton, tons of crosses, penalty, a lot of shots (admittedly plenty of them tame), he stopped the lot. Yes, he was terrible vs QPR but generally I think he looks an excellent goalkeeper.

Saved the penalty and the follow up too against Brighton, he's looking very impressive

Just seen the Sky highlights. Looks like we absolutely murdered them. Could have had six or seven.

Stonewall red card (way worse than Coady's vs Brighton), laughable goalkeeping for Ojo's goal but we're due one of those in our favour after our own episodes earlier in the season. Peach of a free kick by Henry to wrap it up.

Well, what an excellent win.

Even before the red, I felt we had been the better team. As I mentioned in the match day thread, the sending off actually slowed us down and the rest of the first half was played out in a pretty damp manner. Before that though the football was good, with Afobe and Le Fondre linking well with the midfield. Henry and Byrne let us down a little in the first half with poor quality/touches when they got into good positions. I felt for Byrne as he was growing into the game but it was a fair decision to bring Ojo on, and it obviously worked wel. Ojo was very good. Protected the ball very well, has good technique and looks more prepared to run at the back. He will prove to be a good player, and an effective one too. He just needs time.

McDonald was glorious. Ran the game.

McDonald so good but Price excellent alongside him, they complemented each other perfectly. Back 5 very solid tonight, most impressed I've been by Hause, particularly on the ball. The whole defence seemed calm and in control. Agree with YW, we were the better team 11v11, right from the first minute this was not the performance I expected at all! O'Hara still can't run.

Well, what an excellent win.

Even before the red, I felt we had been the better team. As I mentioned in the match day thread, the sending off actually slowed us down and the rest of the first half was played out in a pretty damp manner. Before that though the football was good, with Afobe and Le Fondre linking well with the midfield. Henry and Byrne let us down a little in the first half with poor quality/touches when they got into good positions. I felt for Byrne as he was growing into the game but it was a fair decision to bring Ojo on, and it obviously worked wel. Ojo was very good. Protected the ball very well, has good technique and looks more prepared to run at the back. He will prove to be a good player, and an effective one too. He just needs time.

McDonald was glorious. Ran the game. I've just noticed he made 122 passes, that's insane! Everything went through him, and I liked how he drove through the middle with the ball on occasion. O'Hara couldn't get near him. Him and Price provided an option for the back four to move the ball through the middle, Price particularly (as we already know) using the first time pass well to relieve pressure.

Hause was awesome. Barely put a foot wrong. What he did extremely well was cover Batth. He played nearer to Batth than he did either EEL or Stearman, so it's definitely a matter of communication and good leadership by Batth. That's a very promising centre back pairing going forward now. Both our full backs did well, Iorfa rampaging down the right hand side several time and putting in teasing crosses.

Martinez - 7 - dominated penalty area very well and distribution out of hands was quick and accurate. Kicking a bit iffy, especially on his left foot.

Iorfa - 7- you just don't beat this guy 1v1. I've literally never seen it happen. Back to his best. Would love to see him drive in from wide more with the ball, he's very good at it.

Batth - 7 -solid. Reads the game very well and never beaten in the air. How we've missed him. Got caught 1 v 1 once with Dembele and should have been punished for it but got away with it.

Hause - 8 - as mentioned, covers very well. Confidence on the ball is coming, he's certainly more assertive now.

Golbourne - 7 - best I've seen him play for a while. Still doesn't cross it in open play but he have good support behind Henry and then Ojo.

Byrne - 6 - felt sorry him being taken off but proved to be correct decision. Like Ojo, just needs time. He has pace and drops inside well to link with midfielders and forwards.

McDonald - 9 - as mentioned. Superb. Unlucky not to create a few more chances with through balls that were a whisker away from meeting ALF /Benik

Price - 8 - deserves a ten for his celebration for Henry's goal alone, magic stuff. Gives bite in midfield but a very intelligent passer of the ball. And simply can not be argued that he improved the team.

Henry - 7 - bit poor first half but more than made up for it. What a free kick, stunning strike after Stearman should have been sent off for taking down Le Fondre running in on goal. Crossing was decent second half.

Afobe - 7 - played well but frustrating me. He should have been hungry to grab himself a goal but didn't seem fussed. Played the last ten or so minutes holding midfield.

Le Fondre - 8 - i can't understand why he's been described as simply a poacher, nor why managers don't use him regularly. He's intelligent, works his bloody socks off and gets in great positions. Such a good signing and more to come.

Ojo - 8 - really good. Just shows how you need to give young players time and encouragement.

Enobakhare - n/a - great for him to get on. Couple of neat touches, shows clear confidence in his ability judging t body language.

Wallace - n/a

The late goal at Preston and this win has provided us with some real momentum. Hopefully we can really kick on now, there's good competition in wide positions and we have Coady to come back too to compete with Price and McDonald. All we need now is Afobe firing.

Also loved Gallen making special effort to get players together to see fans and applaud. Stearman last person off the pitch, applauding fans too, was quite sad that not!

Back