• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Homophobic Language at Forest

CovJet

Reaction score
I'm a Wolves fan doing research on homophobic language vs banter at football games. Anybody know what was allegedly said by the Wolves fan arrested at Forest?

I was a high level referee. I was constantly abused about my sexuality during matches. Couldn't be further from the truth as I'm a red blooded male as they come. Its sad this is still a thing in this day and age

Thanks Jonzy. I'm trying to matrix what is generally regarded as banter and what has (pernicious) intent and therefore what constitutes hate...

Thanks Jonzy. I'm trying to matrix what is generally regarded as banter and what has (pernicious) intent and therefore what constitutes hate...
Problem with banter is that it normalises views. What one person may consider harmless banter may indicate to another that their views are acceptable

Edit. Id seriously question the value of any research that decides what is and isn't 'banter'.

Last edited:
I was a high level referee. I was constantly abused about my sexuality during matches. Couldn't be further from the truth as I'm a red blooded male as they come. Its sad this is still a thing in this day and age

So gay men have different coloured blood?

I can’t believe I didn’t know that.

It’s sad that these types of stereotypes are still a thing in this day and age.

Problem with banter is that it normalises views. What one person may consider harmless banter may indicate to another that their views are acceptable

Edit. Id seriously question the value of any research that decides what is and isn't 'banter'.
The police and CP have to decide what language constitutes criminal behaviour....some language, in my opinion, should be dealt with through education rather than prosecution

As I understand it, banter is what people say their outdated wrong views are when they get called out on homophobia, racism, or whatever else they’re on about.
Perhaps that is the case but what I'm trying to get to is at what point does it become criminal? If you do 35 in a 30 you get education not a criminal record....

Perhaps that is the case but what I'm trying to get to is at what point does it become criminal? If you do 35 in a 30 you get education not a criminal record....
That's debatable. You sit in a room for 4 hours because you have to. I doubt it changes the way the vast majority drive. It's a box ticking effort. I very much doubt you are going to make a middle aged man change the way he thinks or speaks with such a programme. It would be a worthwhile exercise for youths and kids.

As I understand it, banter is what people say their outdated wrong views are when they get called out on homophobia, racism, or whatever else they’re on about.
I'm sure this is case sometimes, however among me and my mates, pretty much all 'banter' is directed at one another and refers to something that's happened between us in the past, usually referred to as 'taking the piss'

I struggle to believe a PhD paper would use a term as nebulous as banter, unless you've defined that OP?

I'm sure this is case sometimes, however among me and my mates, pretty much all 'banter' is directed at one another and refers to something that's happened between us in the past, usually referred to as 'taking the piss'
Context is important tbf. Unfortunately, many people seem to think that they can do things like call me a "f*g" and then get out of it by saying "it's just a joke". Nah, we're not friends like that. You don't get to call me that. Etc.
I struggle to believe a PhD paper would use a term as nebulous as banter, unless you've defined that OP?
Assuming it's quality research, such a word would have a section in the paper dedicated to defining it in more measurable terms.

Context is important tbf. Unfortunately, many people seem to think that they can do things like call me a "f*g" and then get out of it by saying "it's just a joke". Nah, we're not friends like that. You don't get to call me that. Etc.

Assuming it's quality research, such a word would have a section in the paper dedicated to defining it in more measurable terms.
Aye, I'd be really interested to see what that definition looked like

Back