• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2020 transfer window

This is a further one. The Italy thing I must have read elsewhere and if he was there today, then it's not true
6f8317f83ed192dcb69ab6fe70a43aa1.jpg

I'm not even necessarily disagreeing but this perpetual improvement never happens.

Look at City this window. Lose a key centre half and club icon, don't replace him, leave yourself with three options at LB who are all rubbish, spend nearly all the money on a midfielder who is good but not what you really needed...would you sack Txiki on that basis?

They did improve their midfield and did bring in another LB. The midfielder clearly improved their first XI, the left back hasn't. And City had the hardest job of all.

It isn't just the last window it is the last 3 windows IMO, without Mendes and Nuno pushing through their players we certainly wouldn't have th players we do now as Thelwell simply hasn't bought any in.

I'm not sure why people think we need him.

This is a further one. The Italy thing I must have read elsewhere and if he was there today, then it's not true
6f8317f83ed192dcb69ab6fe70a43aa1.jpg

I don’t think anyone disagrees that he is going (at least on loan), that’s very different to saying he’s flown off to Italy in a huff though.

Apparently he was there today. I don't care about whether that is true, just putting it out there in the same way as "huffed off to Italy" has been.

They did improve their midfield and did bring in another LB. The midfielder clearly improved their first XI, the left back hasn't. And City had the hardest job of all.

It isn't just the last window it is the last 3 windows IMO, without Mendes and Nuno pushing through their players we certainly wouldn't have th players we do now as Thelwell simply hasn't bought any in.

I'm not sure why people think we need him.

I dunno, if everyone is fit then Rodri probably doesn't get in the team! Laporte is still waiting around for a partner though and wondering what on earth is happening to the left of him. They've clearly gone backwards since last season.

I'm not necessarily backing Thelwell, it's hard to judge who he's scouted and what he does. Could be no-one for all I know.

I'm just saying that expecting top-end teams to perpetually improve is unrealistic and yet that's the view a lot of fans (not you) have. It doesn't happen.

United's pinnacle for a while was the 1999 treble winners. They did basically fuck all with that team for two years. They stagnated a bit, Fergie thought he'd change style by bringing Veron in, that totally failed, ditching Stam was a disaster and from 2001 to 2006 they won relatively speaking, very little.

Then it got fixed when Ronaldo came of age, etc etc etc.

What I'm saying is this thing isn't all linear. On our journey we might well have seasons where we look like we've gone backwards but in the long term the right call has been made. I mean would United have finished higher between 2003 and 2006 if they'd had Becks rather than that version of Ronaldo? Maybe won another trophy or two? Highly likely they would.

But they had to make that move because you have one chance to sign that player.

I don't have a strong opinion on Thelwell either way, I would say that Fosun have been here now for three and a half years and so has he.

I think that puts big pressure on Thelwell this January to improve the squad at the very least then.

What do you mean Tony?

Either of us could be right. I'm not too worried either way.

Our recruitment this summer has failed to improve the starting XI in any position, it was abject failure.

Without Mendes/ Nuno our recruitment has been fucking wank. Thelwell is a fucking charlatan operating at least s division too high and hasn't bought in a single player to improve the first team in at least a calendar year.

Fuck him and his recruitment team off and get competent individuals in.

Because it's that fucking easy to improve on our starting XI?

We bid for Soumare but got knocked back, if the players are being identified but we aren't going in with enough cash you can hardly blame Thelwell.

How do you know what Thelwell does or doesn't do?

Because it's that fucking easy to improve on our starting XI?

We bid for Soumare but got knocked back, if the players are being identified but we aren't going in with enough cash you can hardly blame Thelwell.

How do you know what Thelwell does or doesn't do?

Interesting that you seem to know so much. I'm interested how you think we improved our XI in the summer and how you think our recruitment has been good.

As for improving our XI and squad in general, it is what Thelwell gets paid for along with his recruitment team. He hasn't done that to any great effect given the players you can quite easily identify as Mendes or Nuno's links, unless you think Thelwell's job is to facilitate that relationship?

Interesting that you seem to know so much. I'm interested how you think we improved our XI in the summer and how you think our recruitment has been good.

As for improving our XI and squad in general, it is what Thelwell gets paid for along with his recruitment team. He hasn't done that to any great effect given the players you can quite easily identify as Mendes or Nuno's links, unless you think Thelwell's job is to facilitate that relationship?

I didn't say we'd improved our starting XI, I said it's incredibly hard to do for many reasons which I'm sure you're aware of.

It's been reported we bid for Soumare, could be bullshit of course but it would seem strange. We were interested in Dias too but didn't stump up the readies.

If it works as you say, then I'd be incredibly surprised for the club, knowing how things work and how little Thelwell actually contributes, to promote him to the board.

No one outside the club, not you or I know how things really work. It annoys me when people make judgements about how effective individuals are based on big assumptions

I didn't say we'd improved our starting XI, I said it's incredibly hard to do for many reasons which I'm sure you're aware of.

It's been reported we bid for Soumare, could be bullshit of course but it would seem strange. We were interested in Dias too but didn't stump up the readies.

If it works as you say, then I'd be incredibly surprised for the club, knowing how things work and how little Thelwell actually contributes, to promote him to the board.

No one outside the club, not you or I know how things really work. It annoys me when people make judgements about how effective individuals are based on big assumptions

So you don't have a clue what a Thelwell does, admit our recruitment in the summer was woeful. So why would you pay somebody to fail?

It is the reason a recruitment team exists and like most walks of life you are judged on your results, as of yet I've yet to see The,well's signings at youth or senior level have any effect on this club. And by a Thelwell signing, a player without the direct influence of Nuno or Mendes.

A person can be promoted to the board for a number of reasons and we have no idea why Thelwell has been promoted.

On Thelsell, do you think we should be hiring his son, given the lad has no experience in the field?

I can’t imagine Fosun would have promoted him to the board and are keeping him there if he doesn’t add anything, they don’t seem the overly charitable type.

Maybe they know more than grumpy muppets on internet boards?

I can’t imagine Fosun would have promoted him to the board and are keeping him there if he doesn’t add anything, they don’t seem the overly charitable type.

Maybe they know more than grumpy muppets on internet boards?

You sound like the blokes who used to say appointing Saunders was a good thing as he knows football and Morgan was a successful businessman who knows what he's doing.

No, Morgan was a poor and naive owner with no plan, and Saunders was a prick from day one.

Fosun are not Morgan. They’ve done amazing things with us, and have had a clear plan all the way through. Anyone bitching about them at this stage after two and a half years of dizzying success is a moron.

Our recruitment this summer has failed to improve the starting XI in any position, it was abject failure.

Without Mendes/ Nuno our recruitment has been fucking wank. Thelwell is a fucking charlatan operating at least s division too high and hasn't bought in a single player to improve the first team in at least a calendar year.

Fuck him and his recruitment team off and get competent individuals in.
No getting rid of Thelwell now he's a Director, a bit of a worrying conflict of interests for me this.

No, Morgan was a poor and naive owner with no plan, and Saunders was a prick from day one.

Fosun are not Morgan. They’ve done amazing things with us, and have had a clear plan all the way through. Anyone bitching about them at this stage after two and a half years of dizzying success is a moron.

I don't think I've heard or read anybody bitching about Fosun, have you?

No getting rid of Thelwell now he's a Director, a bit of a worrying conflict of interests for me this.

I think the Directorship is in name only. Somebody will correct me but I think the two oldest directors are NED's and not employed by the club and Thelwell is the only director employed by the club with English residence.

It may or may not make any difference of course but it would be odd for a company to have zero directors of a functioning company like Wolves that are not involved in the day to day running of the company or resident in the country in which it is based.

I don't think I've heard or read anybody bitching about Fosun, have you?

To be fair there are now plenty of people demanding that they "back the manager".

Which in some ways is fair as Nuno is easily our best manager in 40 years. Possibly 60 years. And he does need players, we know that.

But in other ways is totally unfair given the money they've spent and endemic of the constant thing with football fans - we're always two players short, apparently. 20 years ago it was "spend £5m more". Then 10 years ago "£10m more". Probably £40m more now with the way the market is.

Sometimes you have to accept it didn't go your way. It'd be great now if Vallejo was nailed on at RCH and Cutrone had 7-8 PL goals. We did sign them from Real Madrid and AC Milan. It hasn't happened.

To be fair there are now plenty of people demanding that they "back the manager".

Which in some ways is fair as Nuno is easily our best manager in 40 years. Possibly 60 years. And he does need players, we know that.

But in other ways is totally unfair given the money they've spent and endemic of the constant thing with football fans - we're always two players short, apparently. 20 years ago it was "spend £5m more". Then 10 years ago "£10m more". Probably £40m more now with the way the market is.

Sometimes you have to accept it didn't go your way. It'd be great now if Vallejo was nailed on at RCH and Cutrone had 7-8 PL goals. We did sign them from Real Madrid and AC Milan. It hasn't happened.

I don't think I'd call those people asking the club to back the manager morons or muppets.

On the Cutrone and Jesus thing, you can always get things wrong but to get both your big signings wrong is some effort. It was definitely poor recruitment.

Back