• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Laurie Dalrymple has left the club

Who'd have thought Kev T would outlast LD?!

Serious misconduct (without wanting a court case) or hes jacked and they've frogmarched him out the office.

Gardening leave is just a way of winding down your notice period without having you in the office.

Not sure where this puts the stadium development, I would imagine he would have had a big input on that. The little PR stunts of buying drinks for fans etc are pretty easy to replicate, and although nice not exactly unique.

Would be interested to know what went on but doubt we will find out (from official channels in any case)

Things like the stadium redevelopment surely would still have needed to be cleared by Shi (and possibly even Guangchang himself), no?

You can't sack someone for talking to other people though. It's very difficult to enforce a non-compete when someone has directly left for a competitor let alone just had a chat.

I know this. Hiring and firing people is what I do for a living (I work for a company where the line managers are all cowards). If they'd have picked up he was touting himself about or 'having chats' then they'd have had a sit down with him and maybe what you're seeing is the result.

The important point I was making was that it can't be much more than that because gardening leave is designed where strictly speaking he can still be called upon if required. You don't stick someone on GL if they've had their fingers in the till, for instance.

Nice bloke, but like Moxey before him, he was only carrying out his master’s commands.

Budget/business case would be signed off. LD would have been a driving force for the company to operate autonomously, else it would be crippled under every decision

This is not a serious loss in the slightest. Seems to me that LD leaving can easily be covered by a decent PR person coming in to talk to the press when required.

Transfers won't be affected, nor will the stadium redevelopment or nor will day-to-day. You get the feeling that Fosun and Wolves are all about job enrichment and the rest of a bullshit bingo card, so any slack will easily be picked up by the rest of LD's big Jeff's staff.

gardening leave means he's still serving his notice, so more critically he can't take up a post with someone else during that period so that probably has something to do with it. more likely than wanting to call on him for something.

gardening leave means he's still serving his notice, so more critically he can't take up a post with someone else during that period so that probably has something to do with it. more likely than wanting to call on him for something.
It's also used if you want to get rid of someone at a senior level, but are still discussing the terms of the severance. You don't put an MD down the formal disciplinary route you'd do for a more junior staff member, so unless you are going down the gross misconduct route it's fairly typical at Director level

It's also used if you want to get rid of someone at a senior level, but are still discussing the terms of the severance. You don't put an MD down the formal disciplinary route you'd do for a more junior staff member, so unless you are going down the gross misconduct route it's fairly typical at Director level

yep, makes sense. i imagine difficult keeping things confidential in the footie industry but if he has any knowledge of what we're up to on transfers it also makes sense to keep him under contract until we've sorted those out given it's a critical time, albeit any severance agreement would include confidentiality provisions. just less risky if he's still 'employed'.

The only thing I worry about is that I felt that there was an element of Laurie/Jeff vs China in regards to keeping the stadium redevelopment/ambitions grounded. Keeping the ground on the current site/limiting it to around 50K etc.

If the 'breakdown' between Fosun & Laurie centres around that issue and someone up the chain has decided that we're going to move into a purpose built 60K+ stadium next to a motorway I'd be terrified for the future of the club.

But it's probably just that someone has poached him...

Jeff - Knock knock
LD - Who's there?
Jeff - Not you anymore

Gregg Rosenthal voice - Stop it, you can't joke about people losing their jobs.

Probably as accurate as any of the twaddle I just read on twitter. Logged out till Monday now.

I was a bit worried when I first heard this, not so much now. It's easy to get onside with the fans when you're winning and got millions behind the team.

If LD wasn't on the same page as the board then best thing for everyone was for him to go, and get someone who does "sing from the same hymn sheet".

It’s possible it’s just that Jeff has now had 2 years in the Uk to learn the job in some detail and doesn’t feel he needs Laurie any more - maybe he thinks he can negotiate better deals commercially.

This is not a serious loss in the slightest. Seems to me that LD leaving can easily be covered by a decent PR person coming in to talk to the press when required.

Transfers won't be affected, nor will the stadium redevelopment or nor will day-to-day. You get the feeling that Fosun and Wolves are all about job enrichment and the rest of a bullshit bingo card, so any slack will easily be picked up by the rest of LD's big Jeff's staff.

This too.

Some serious chill pills need ingesting on social media

You are asking serial attention seekers to calm down?

You are asking serial attention seekers to calm down?

In a nutshell yes. Its probably a bit like asking me not to be superstitious or you not to be sarcastic though isn't it? :run: :whistle:

In a nutshell yes. Its probably a bit like asking me not to be superstitious or you not to be sarcastic though isn't it? :run: :whistle:

So, never going to happen...

Anyway, Timmy's take on the situation is a good one (and good to see he is over mental breakdowns when people leave Wolves)

Tim Spiers
‏Verified account @tim_spiers_Star
Been off today but having spoken to a number of people about the Laurie Darlrymple situation it seems fair to say there were disagreements on a range of issues between him and Jeff Shi/Fosun over a prolonged period (LD had nothing to do with transfers, though).
Have always expected Fosun to bring in their own people to fill top positions at the club and over last 12-18 months there's been a high turnover of staff in important off-field senior roles; marketing, ticketing, media, legal, HR, etc. Fosun are changing club from top to bottom
It's a bold move given Dalrymple's popularity and expertise but with Fosun aiming for the very, very top there will always be ruthless changes along the way. Their next appointment will be telling as to the direction they plan to take.

Back