• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Laurie Dalrymple has left the club

The level of pant wetting over this is brilliant.

'Hope this isn't is the club imploding from within'
'I fear everything could unravel now'
'We are in serious trouble. No wonder the summer has been dead in terms of transfers'

I have seen several panicking people list all the things that have apparently gone wrong this season and my personal favourite is the moaning about how the new seats ARE NOT ALL THE SAME COLOUR! OMG!

I have enough faith in Fosun not to be worried about this. Laurie had a great relationship with the fans but we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.

The meltdown I’ve seen over the shirt is ridiculous, 3 good signings before the season starts and everyone is happy again.
We’ve not had a fire sale, Nuno’s not left and we’re not up for sale.
Yes some signings would be nice but look around the rest of the league, only clubs doing anything at the moment are Villa and Leicester.

The point Spiers makes about Fosun aiming high is quite salient. For all Ed Woodward gets (rightly) ripped on for being an abject DoF at Man Utd, commercially they are on a different stratosphere to 99% of clubs. It will be a long old slog for us to get to that level but that's where Fosun are going to want us to get to. Buying pints for folks in the local is nice and all but signing multi-million global endorsement deals is something else entirely.

The point Spiers makes about Fosun aiming high is quite salient. For all Ed Woodward gets (rightly) ripped on for being an abject DoF at Man Utd, commercially they are on a different stratosphere to 99% of clubs. It will be a long old slog for us to get to that level but that's where Fosun are going to want us to get to. Buying pints for folks in the local is nice and all but signing multi-million global endorsement deals is something else entirely.

Exactly this. The population of Shanghai is 26m - twnety six fucking million. The population of Wolverhampton is what? 1% of that?

He's an administrator, that's all. Not in any way irreplaceable, and really, virtually anyone taking over from Moxey was going to be viewed favourably.

I'd be concerned if Neves was leaving, or Nuno, or some of his backroom team. But an administrator? Nah.

Exactly. His role is easily absorbed.

Still, gonna miss not getting a free pint next season.

He's an ambassador rather an administrator, very good at it too tbf. No great loss though, assuming we are going to have a replacement commercial / PR type person.

Not sure this is overly relevant to the Club - if he has fallen out with the Board over something then clearly there had to be a seperation.

His post is replaceable & has no bearing on the actual football side of the club.

As LJ said anyone taking over from Moxey didn't need to do much to look like an improvement. There are a number of people who it would be more damaging to lose.

Not sure this is overly relevant to the Club - if he has fallen out with the Board over something then clearly there had to be a seperation.

His post is replaceable & has no bearing on the actual football side of the club.

As LJ said anyone taking over from Moxey didn't need to do much to look like an improvement. There are a number of people who it would be more damaging to lose.

Of course it's relevant. He was clearly a good short term appointment for club and fans. If the kit was appalling last year and he came out with the same Moxey bollocks as when we went up last time he wouldn't have lasted a month.

People hated the cheapskate nature of Moxey and Laurie didn't have that and he was the visible face of the club. As MD he has presided over the best season Wolves have ever had commercially, that's not to be sniffed at.

He's clearly a loss and to say it's not overly relevant is dismissing an important role at the club. Who they put in charge now will have to have the same ambassadorial qualities as Dalrymple as a prerequisite.

I suppose it's easy running the commercial side when the team are performing well. As such a Moxey/Mendes/Fosun partnership may also have been frothed over. The toxicity of Moxey was perhaps more attributable to people not knowing how to buy and assemble a credible eleven on the pitch (despite very competitive funding over the years). The greatest asset the club has is Nuno/Mendes and for me Dalrymple was like having a flake in your cornet - which is not necessarily a bad thing.

I suppose it's easy running the commercial side when the team are performing well. As such a Moxey/Mendes/Fosun partnership may also have been frothed over. The toxicity of Moxey was perhaps more attributable to people not knowing how to buy and assemble a credible eleven on the pitch (despite very competitive funding over the years). The greatest asset the club has is Nuno/Mendes and for me Dalrymple was like having a flake in your cornet - which is not necessarily a bad thing.

No the toxicity of Moxey was in his superior attitude and patronising demeanor. As a club employee he did a decent job for both owners. He didn't ever get the mentality of the Wolves or football fans in general and scored a number of PR own goals. He was still disliked after both promotions, look at his made up 'the council are going to close us down' bullshit the last time we were in the PL as an example

Laurie was just the face of Jeff. Anyone can play that role and be pally with supporters. Fosun clearly want rid of him for whatever reason, and I've no doubt they'll employ someone else just as good or better.

The timing sucks slightly purely from a fans point of view, but in reality it's a complete non issue as far as the football club or the transfer window is concerned.

No the toxicity of Moxey was in his superior attitude and patronising demeanor. As a club employee he did a decent job for both owners. He didn't ever get the mentality of the Wolves fans.

The mentality of Wolves fans is win or you are a cunt and we won't go.

Back