• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[League Cup QF] Forest 1-1 Wolves (4-3 pens): Verdict Thread

I don't really do Twitter and Instagram, so haven't really seen any dick-headery from MGW. I've often felt really quite sympathetic towards him tbh, I don't feel like he's ever been given a run in the team, and the expectations from the terraces was always pretty big for a teenager to live up to when snatching minutes or being played out of position. I've also thought he worked hard and showed potential, has had two really good loan spells, and was dicked about by Nuno, and our fans have never taken to him. Reports of some of the abuse he and his family have got are really distasteful. I think he's obviously one of those players that needs to feel valued, and he never got that here from fans or management. Yes he was a bit of a dick yesterday, he shouldn't have responded to the stick he was getting, but on the other side of the coin it will have won him further kudos amongst the Forest support

I think the suggestion that he'll bob around the championship is pettiness clouding judgement, he's a good footballer.

A couple of thoughts: regardless of whether management or players did anything wrong, there are always lessons to be learned and we have a reasonable chance of being in another penalty shootout within a week.

At least now my Boro mates can stop pointing out we’re on track for a ‘Boro 96/97’.

I don't really do Twitter and Instagram, so haven't really seen any dick-headery from MGW. I've often felt really quite sympathetic towards him tbh, I don't feel like he's ever been given a run in the team, and the expectations from the terraces was always pretty big for a teenager to live up to when snatching minutes or being played out of position. I've also thought he worked hard and showed potential, has had two really good loan spells, and was dicked about by Nuno, and our fans have never taken to him. Reports of some of the abuse he and his family have got are really distasteful. I think he's obviously one of those players that needs to feel valued, and he never got that here from fans or management. Yes he was a bit of a dick yesterday, he shouldn't have responded to the stick he was getting, but on the other side of the coin it will have won him further kudos amongst the Forest support

I think the suggestion that he'll bob around the championship is pettiness clouding judgement, he's a good footballer.

This.

I don't even think he was being a dick, players are human after all. If I'd been getting the stick he had I'd have been celebrating right in their faces for at least 10 minutes. The old adage that you shouldn't give it if you can't take it springs to mind with people's reactions, he was getting stick as he walked up to take the penalty.

Don't really understand the criticism of Hodge taking pen #5. So what if he's young? He's a player in the first team squad - there's not a hierarchy of who should and shouldn't take a penalty based on age. If he put his name forward, good on him - maybe they've been practising and he's been one of the better takers? How do we know that no-one else volunteered? Lots of uses of the word 'coward' for those who didn't take one. Really....?

Players miss in shoot outs - the best in the world do so, it's a bit of a lottery anyway, fair play to the lad for taking one, shit happens, he'll learn from it.

I think there's more discussion to be had on why we were so poor in the 1st half, and on more positive notes, the fact we were so much better in the 2nd, and how refreshing it is to have a player like Cunha who is finally making a positive contribution to creating chances for us.

Also - don't give a fuck about MGW - he's a decent footballer, we got a good fee for him, but he's not our player anymore.

This.

I don't even think he was being a dick, players are human after all. If I'd been getting the stick he had I'd have been celebrating right in their faces for at least 10 minutes. The old adage that you shouldn't give it if you can't take it springs to mind with people's reactions, he was getting stick as he walked up to take the penalty.

He was definitely being a dick. He's a professional footballer, he should let his football do the talking. Which it didn't really.

I guarantee he only did it so he could use the image on social media. Which he already has. He's Jesse Lingard.

Btw, how is it that Adama and Semedo have absolutely 0 chemistry (in both an attacking and defensive sense) after playing together for so long? Neither of them seem to have a fucking clue what the other is going to do from one moment to the next and out of possession spend most of the time pointing fingers at each other while they leave gaping holes in our defensive structure.

He was definitely being a dick. He's a professional footballer, he should let his football do the talking. Which it didn't really.

I guarantee he only did it so he could use the image on social media. Which he already has. He's Jesse Lingard.

Why should they?

I've always found it weird that footballers are held to this oddly high standard of behaviour. 90% are young lads from working class backgrounds quite a few of them will be of lower intellect and we expect them to be whiter than white with their behaviour. It's just an unrealistic expectation.

Btw, how is it that Adama and Semedo have absolutely 0 chemistry (in both an attacking and defensive sense) after playing together for so long? Neither of them seem to have a fucking clue what the other is going to do from one moment to the next and out of possession spend most of the time pointing fingers at each other while they leave gaping holes in our defensive structure.

I'd blame Adama, Semedo seems to link up 'well enough' with other players when they play in the side.

Why should they?

I've always found it weird that footballers are held to this oddly high standard of behaviour. 90% are young lads from working class backgrounds quite a few of them will be of lower intellect and we expect them to be whiter than white with their behaviour. It's just an unrealistic expectation.

Yes of course, those working class people with their lower intellect 🙄 FFS

He can troll the fans all he wants, he obviously has a weird chip on his shoulder, and he's never going to shut us up with his football, unless we get relegated and play him in the Championship.

The bigger dick move is reacting to Cunha mildly taking the piss afterwards, and inciting an on field brawl. That shows who really can give it but not take it, and it isn't the fans

Yes of course, those working class people with their lower intellect 🙄 FFS

He can troll the fans all he wants, he obviously has a weird chip on his shoulder, and he's never going to shut us up with his football, unless we get relegated and play him in the Championship.

The bigger dick move is reacting to Cunha mildly taking the piss afterwards, and inciting an on field brawl. That shows who really can give it but not take it, and it isn't the fans

He won't be in the championship next season regardless of if forest go down.

I have no idea what happened afterwards so I have no opinion, I turned it off as soon as the game finished.

I have no idea what happened afterwards so I have no opinion, I turned it off as soon as the game finished.
He didn't like Cunha mocking him when he scored his penalty. Clearly didn't think his mates would react but Toti was close to smacking him and MGW essentially did the old i'm going to fight him, hold me back lads routine

He didn't like Cunha mocking him when he scored his penalty. Clearly didn't think his mates would react but Toti was close to smacking him and MGW essentially did the old i'm going to fight him, hold me back lads routine

I read that but I'm unsure how factual it is. It could be true or it might not be.

I'm guessing if Toti did want to land one on him he could have quite easily have done so, Ian Wright waited in the tunnel and stuck one on Steve Bruce at half time never mind after the game had finished. Sounds a bit pathetic in comparison.

I read that but I'm unsure how factual it is. It could be true or it might not be.

I'm guessing if Toti did want to land one on him he could have quite easily have done so, Ian Wright waited in the tunnel and stuck one on Steve Bruce at half time never mind after the game had finished. Sounds a bit pathetic in comparison.
Quite right MGW is pathetic.

Players know there is no real hiding place now and you do something stupid after the whistle, you get a ban. So it all just becomes the old handbags stuff. FA will look it, if no one has thrown a punch then both clubs probably get a £20,000 fine or something for failing to control their players

I was a bit miffed that ki-jana hoever and Fabio Silva liked MGWs post. I get they're not wolves fans but still.....

You want a measure for this little prick look at the way Boly was treated.

Went down injured, Wolves players going over to him to see if he's ok. Neves chatting away to him when he was clearly in pain.

And to a man gets applauded off the pitch by the crowd.

Contrast that little fucking prick starting a fight with his ex-teammates because he can't take a bit of stick. That Instacunt can fuck off.

I was a bit miffed that ki-jana hoever and Fabio Silva liked MGWs post. I get they're not wolves fans but still.....
Hoever is clearly a bellend.

Not surprised by Fabio either given the reaction of his teammates to his last goal.

Another who falls the 'no dickheads' policy.

Joe Hodge is having a great day today. Thought he would be on a downer after his penalty miss but all Johnny's anger directed at MGW.

Edit: Nearly all. Hoever and Fab getting a small bit of it as well. Just need Lage to like MGW's post now...

I saw the non-penalty mentioned in the BBC write up last night, but I've read it again this morning and there is not only zero mention of it now, but not even a single quote from Lopetegui who criticised the decision.

Strange.

Back