• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Let's talk about Nuno....

Teams gamble. That's where they get their apparent luck from.

We've stopped gambling whether that's playing a forward pass, making a run, shooting from distance.

Rashford took on a shot and got a deflection, Eze/Murphy gambled and Rui was at fault, McGinns run was rewarded with a gift from Somedo.

Spineless is a big big word but the mere notion of it I find incredible when you think about how part of this team reacted away at Middlesbrough or after Wembley etc etc. The team used to ooze resilience in the face of adversity.
This isnt a pop at you Lincs but I’m still surprised that people use these idiotic terms like ‘gamble’.

Players don’t gamble on positions and runs, they’re thought about and made to try and affect the opposition. They expect the ball or to take a player away and change the dynamic for their team.

Gambling implies they’re taking a risk in the hope something comes off and at the top level a coach is absolute shite if they’re asking their players to gamble.

It’s a commentators crock of shit from uneducated bellends with a microphone.

While I understand this is an emotive topic I think there's some exaggerating going on. It's not as if we had nothing but Saunders-esque turds for 50 years before Nuno arrived.

Turner, Mick, KJ were all thoroughly decent men who did a lot to turn the club around and lift it up from various disparate states. They all represented the club with dignity - even if things turned sour in the end it does not diminish that. I distinctly remember thinking KJ had deserved more of a chance...in hindsight, as it turns out I was wrong.

Is Nuno a better manager than them? Yes, of course. Has he likewise represented the club and community to a high standard? Yes, evidently. But let's please not act like it will be a mortal sin for a football club to sack a football manager. He will leave the club one day, by his choice or otherwise.

Part of being custodians of anything is having to make difficult decisions - sometimes a business has to have layoffs to avoid going under, for example. It's not nice, and in a perfect world it wouldn't happen, but regrettably here we are.

I do think - hope - he can turn it around. Equally I won't be surprised if things continue to worsen if Fosun don't start to consider things, objectively - if they are not already.

This isnt a pop at you Lincs but I’m still surprised that people use these idiotic terms like ‘gamble’.

Players don’t gamble on positions and runs, they’re thought about and made to try and affect the opposition. They expect the ball or to take a player away and change the dynamic for their team.

Gambling implies they’re taking a risk in the hope something comes off and at the top level a coach is absolute shite if they’re asking their players to gamble.

It’s a commentators crock of shit from uneducated bellends with a microphone.
I doubt they gamble on tactics, but sometimes, particularly in the box gambling on where the ball will come sometimes pays dividends. Like making that run in a particular position when the ball comes in can be the difference between missing it and just getting the touch and scoring. Or hanging back and gambling on a defender heading it out and getting a shot off. Thommo says it all the time, and he played (and scored) a lot.

I doubt they gamble on tactics, but sometimes, particularly in the box gambling on where the ball will come sometimes pays dividends. Like making that run in a particular position when the ball comes in can be the difference between missing it and just getting the touch and scoring. Or hanging back and gambling on a defender heading it out and getting a shot off. Thommo says it all the time, and he played (and scored) a lot.
Nope, it’s uneducated bollocks.

Playing is completely different to coaching which is why Thommo isn’t a coach at a high level. Nice guy, not the brightest candle on the cake.

just the wrong word Johnny, dare to attack instead of just defend..

Nope, it’s uneducated bollocks.

Playing is completely different to coaching which is why Thommo isn’t a coach at a high level. Nice guy, not the brightest candle on the cake.
He isn't a coach i agree. Whether he is bright or not he wasn't a bad player, and he could score. So based on that you'd listen to how he approached it as a player.

To be honest we can debate it till the cows come home. The upshot is we need to start getting results. If not we are in the shit, then big decisions will need to be made at the end of the season. Doing it before that will certainly fuck us even more.
Everyone has their own take on it. I've had mine now.

I'm not quite sure how we can solve the current situation, not even if Nuno is the one to do it. But even Fosun's track record isn't good when looking at things before Nuno.

The board also has a lot of blame on the current lack of results. Ultimately, the lack of improvement in some sectors on the team falls on them.

He isn't a coach i agree. Whether he is bright or not he wasn't a bad player, and he could score. So based on that you'd listen to how he approached it as a player.
Not really relevant in today’s game, a bit like playing for the Dog and Duck in the 70’s ;)

I'm not quite sure how we can solve the current situation, not even if Nuno is the one to do it. But even Fosun's track record isn't good when looking at things before Nuno.

The board also has a lot of blame on the current lack of results. Ultimately, the lack of improvement in some sectors on the team falls on them.
I don’t think this is true, the board sanctioned big money moves and bought players that Nuno approved.

Difficult to blame them.

Not really relevant in today’s game, a bit like playing for the Dog and Duck in the 70’s ;)
You keep saying stuff like that. But it's still 11 v 11 and you have to score more than your opponents in the game to get the max points. However it's dressed up these days the basic premise is the same. We'll agree to disagree.

You keep saying stuff like that. But it's still 11 v 11 and you have to score more than your opponents in the game to get the max points. However it's dressed up these days the basic premise is the same. We'll agree to disagree.
Are you Dave Jones?

It’s just cliche after cliche. If coaching and managing were easy everybody would be capable of doing it with ease.

Have you read anything on tactics? This isn’t a trap question (hi PK) but a genuine question as you are very old school in your thoughts.

I see the Board have now been added to the ever-growing blame list that now includes injuries, covid, the fans (both absence of and opinions of, curiously), mental health, homesickness, luck...

All to tiptoe around Nuno's culpability 🙄

Are you Dave Jones?

It’s just cliche after cliche. If coaching and managing were easy everybody would be capable of doing it with ease.

Have you read anything on tactics? This isn’t a trap question (hi PK) but a genuine question as you are very old school in your thoughts.
Of course i am.... :rolleyes: I never said it was easy, and i've read a little about it, and played the game a bit.I'm offering up MY opinion on it. Like you are...
However much you talk about this tactic and that one, the game in it's basic form is what i said. That is a fact. How it is done now is different obviously. You now have teams basing every games tactics on their opponents, which is done through watching game films/studying games. It's scientific now, and some are good at it, some aren't. You still have to send 11 players out on the field to put the science into practice. Then it becomes mental and physical. The drawing board is moot then.

I see the Board have now been added to the ever-growing blame list that now includes injuries, covid, the fans (both absence of and opinions of, curiously), mental health, homesickness, luck...

All to tiptoe around Nuno's culpability 🙄
Where does it say that? Link?

Back