• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Let's talk about Nuno....

I see the Board have now been added to the ever-growing blame list that now includes injuries, covid, the fans (both absence of and opinions of, curiously), mental health, homesickness, luck...

All to tiptoe around Nuno's culpability 🙄
Is there any chance that it is an accumulation of a number of factors and not just one?
Yes Nuno, he's the boss after all
Yes Fosun, they provide funds and the board, scouts etc to improve the team
Yes the lack of fans, we provide the atmosphere
Yes injuries, we've had more to deal with this season than any of Nuno's previous seasons but that goes back to having the squad that can cope...
Yes Covid and mental health of the players and staff which includes homesickness...

EDIT; and Yes, the players, they put the "plans" into action on the pitch

Just when you think the weekend couldn't get any worse than it already is from a Wolves perspective I've just read elsewhere someone advocating Eddie Howe as a possible replacement. Well I guess that would reduce the waiting list for season tickets...

I see the Board have now been added to the ever-growing blame list that now includes injuries, covid, the fans (both absence of and opinions of, curiously), mental health, homesickness, luck...

All to tiptoe around Nuno's culpability 🙄
If Nuno is culpable what would say the solution is?

Is there any chance that it is an accumulation of a number of factors and not just one?
Yes Nuno, he's the boss after all
Yes Fosun, they provide funds and the board, scouts etc to improve the team
Yes the lack of fans, we provide the atmosphere
Yes injuries, we've had more to deal with this season than any of Nuno's previous seasons but that goes back to having the squad that can cope...
Yes Covid and mental health of the players and staff which includes homesickness...

EDIT; and Yes, the players, they put the "plans" into action on the pitch
Of course, any sensible-minded person can see there are different factors at work, but the non-Nuno factors are almost always brought conveniently into the foreground when his role is being questioned.

I'm happy to give him the lion's share of praise for our successes, and the biggest spotlight when it's going wrong. I don't see that as a weird, scummy position that means I don't care about Wolves, it's just consistent?

He's the head coach. People are in positions of responsibility and accountability so that they can be... responsible and accountable

Just when you think the weekend couldn't get any worse than it already is from a Wolves perspective I've just read elsewhere someone advocating Eddie Howe as a possible replacement. Well I guess that would reduce the waiting list for season tickets...
I'd rather have Don Howe and he's been dead for 5 years.

He's been touted as the new manager in every potential job opportunity since he went from Bournemouth. I'd say there was more chance of us getting Zidane here.

Howe would improve our diving abilities if nothing else

If Nuno is culpable what would say the solution is?

Well your two solutions are either let him try and fix it or get someone else in to do it.

My preference is the former; I'd disagree with anyone wanting a change right now, but I'd wait until I heard their reasoning before labelling and looking down my nose at them.

I love Nuno and want him to stay, he has a very nice communication with the players... but want him focus more on attacking things than defensive things now

Well your two solutions are either let him try and fix it or get someone else in to do it.

My preference is the former; I'd disagree with anyone wanting a change right now, but I'd wait until I heard their reasoning before labelling and looking down my nose at them.
What makes you think Nuno can turn it around?

I'm happy to give him the lion's share of praise for our successes, and the biggest spotlight when it's going wrong. I don't see that as a weird, scummy position that means I don't care about Wolves, it's just consistent?
I think this is fair. People, myself included, were saying Nuno was more important than any player, the culture and philosophy he'd developed was the biggest reason for our success. The club had become Nuno. When things go sour it's consistent to see Nuno as a major plank in that. Equally because of that he's on a longer leash than a standard manager would be. If we don't win this week, I think he'd be gone from a high percentage of PL clubs with our record, I don't think he will from Wolves and I'm OK with that at the moment.

What makes you think Nuno can turn it around?
Giving him time to fix it doesn't mean I'm confident he can.

Partially it's out of respect for his achievements (which are still recent), but mostly it's what I feel is best for the club in the short term. He's ingrained into the club culture and a change now could be disruptive and do more harm than good.

The fatalist in me feels that these stories always end the same way, but unless he was an actively poisonous figure I see no benefit in sacking him now.

Giving him time to fix it doesn't mean I'm confident he can.

Partially it's out of respect for his achievements (which are still recent), but mostly it's what I feel is best for the club in the short term. He's ingrained into the club culture and a change now could be disruptive and do more harm than good.

The fatalist in me feels that these stories always end the same way, but unless he was an actively poisonous figure I see no benefit in sacking him now.
Would changing the manager be any more harmful than leaving him in post if he can't turn it around?

Back