• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Let's talk about Nuno....

I don’t think this is true, the board sanctioned big money moves and bought players that Nuno approved.

Difficult to blame them.
Hasn't Nuno been saying we need more players here and there since the summer?

And I doubt he really wanted Silva for 40M :/

Hasn't Nuno been saying we need more players here and there since the summer?

And I doubt he really wanted Silva for 40M :/
Not really. I think he talk about rebalancing the squad which essentially meant getting WJ in

Unless Nuno's had enough, in which case he should be honest about that, then he's earned the right/deserves the chance to try to get us out of this mess. As long as he has the required desire, drive and passion to fix things, he has my support. He just needs to sort that midfield out - easy!

Nope, it’s uneducated bollocks.

Playing is completely different to coaching which is why Thommo isn’t a coach at a high level. Nice guy, not the brightest candle on the cake.
Not quite, maybe your taking the wrong connotation with the word gambling.

For instance against Chelsea Neto did not expect WJ to win a Header and flick it on so did not make a run beyond and 'Gamble' on the flick on.
Its not following in on a Shot Gambling on a spill from Keeper. It was evident a few times against Palace, Moutinho's corner, no one Gambled on the ball missing everyone and bouncing middle of the goal 5 yards out.

Best example was Andy Gray at Wembley gambled (his words) on Needham and Shilton screwing up.

No manager will base his team on Gambling, what he will do in a team meeting is showing highlights and telling players to expect the ball to reach them.

Not quite, maybe your taking the wrong connotation with the word gambling.

For instance against Chelsea Neto did not expect WJ to win a Header and flick it onso did not make a run beyond and 'Gamble' on the flick on.
Its not following in on a Shot Gambling on a spill from Keeper. It was evident a few timesagainst Palace, Moutinho's corner, no one Gambled onthe ball missing everyone and bouncing middle of the goal 5 yards out.

Best example was Andy Gray at Wembley gambled (his words) on Needham and Shilton screwing up.

No manager will base his team on Gambling, what he will do in a team meeting is showing highlights and telling players to expect the ball to reach them.

What you're describing is anticipation and modern footballers are coached to maximise this mental characteristic (which is why watching Adama is so frustrating as he has zero).

Describing a game 40 years ago when people were training on Car Parks isn't relevant and shows how far the game has been professionalised.

The whole of the modern game is about control and taking risk out of the equation. Watch City as Pep has it down to a tee.

Tl:dr nope, gambling is bollocks used by people who don't have a clue about the modern game.

What your describing is anticipation and modern footballers are coached to maximise this mental characteristic (which is why watching Adama is so frustrating as he has zero).

Describing a game 40 years ago when people were training on Car Parks isn't relevant and showed how far the game has been professionalised.

Tl:dr nope, gambling is bollocks used by people who don't have a clue about the modern game.
Agree to disagree players Gamble all the time they gamble on things happening that really should not, coaches do use it, they dont base there team talk on it, but they do say gamble on the keeper spilling it etc.

In this context, Gamble and anticipate are the same thing.

Its just a different word

Agree to disagree players Gamble all the time they gamble on things happening that really should not, coaches do use it, they dont base there team talk on it, but they do say gamble on the keeper spilling it etc.

In this context, Gamble and anticipate are the same thing.

Its just a different word
Nope they're different things completely.

Gambling is not knowing the outcome of something but hoping it goes your way. Out of your control completely.

Anticipation is expecting something to happen and adjusting your behaviour to maximise the outcome.

The two are opposite. But as you say we have a different take on this so no point going any further.

Nope they're different things completely.

Gambling is not knowing the outcome of something but hoping it goes your way. Out of your control completely.

Anticipation is expecting something to happen and adjusting your behaviour to maximise the outcome.

The two are opposite. But as you say we have a different take on this so no point going any further.
Out of interest who do you coach?

Isnt 'gambling' more about the risk threshold for doing something e.g a pass?

At the moment our players seem to be only making passes that are dead certs - so we go sideways and backwards a lot. We never seem to try that risky pass that 9 times out of ten is intercepted, but the other time results in a goal.

I don't think that's relevant here, much the same as who I played for.
The relevance is the difference between taking what you say with a pinch of salt, or actually giving you credit for knowing what you are talking about.
You could be coco the clown for all i know... :)

I mean it really just depends on what your definition of the word 'is' is

Sack Nuno because we are 14th and hire the manager of the team in 17th?

Doesn't win enough games, we'd play slightly different (not necessarily better) football with what would probably in the longer run be worse results.

Change for change's sake is something we should absolutely avoid.

Also don't think he'd come here.

Isnt 'gambling' more about the risk threshold for doing something e.g a pass?

At the moment our players seem to be only making passes that are dead certs - so we go sideways and backwards a lot. We never seem to try that risky pass that 9 times out of ten is intercepted, but the other time results in a goal.
It is about reducing that number from 9 to 3/4 which is what Pep and Klopp do so well.

Helps if you have KdB mind you.

I like how he's transformed Brighton from a horrible defensive team to a team that plays football. I'd argue they've deserved better results than they've achieved this season

The relevance is the difference between taking what you say with a pinch of salt, or actually giving you credit for knowing what you are talking about.
You could be coco the clown for all i know... :)
Up to you whether you believe me out not, I don't care if you do our don't.

I like how he's transformed Brighton from a horrible defensive team to a team that plays football. I'd argue they've deserved better results than they've achieved this season
Being more adventurous than Chris Hughton isn't much to shout about tbh.

I don't dislike him but there's absolutely no way that is an upgrade for us at all.

Back