• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Let's talk about Nuno....

Well yeah, if you appoint some absolute duffer.

Appointing Saunders definitely made matters worse.

Is there any chance that it is an accumulation of a number of factors and not just one?
Yes Nuno, he's the boss after all
Yes Fosun, they provide funds and the board, scouts etc to improve the team
Yes the lack of fans, we provide the atmosphere
Yes injuries, we've had more to deal with this season than any of Nuno's previous seasons but that goes back to having the squad that can cope...
Yes Covid and mental health of the players and staff which includes homesickness...

EDIT; and Yes, the players, they put the "plans" into action on the pitch

I'll take "what are things that 19 other clubs are also dealing with" for 400, alex

One crumb of comfort is that Nuno does acknowledge that we have problems and on the whole we're not playing well, we're not getting deluded Jackett/Lambert stuff about how we were excellent when we evidently weren't, or what you'd have in the dying embers of the Mick era where he essentially said "that's how we play, deal with it".

Of course he needs to actually take some action and get us playing with a good deal more verve, which is a fair bit more difficult than just talking about it.

That Albion defeat is so annoying. Not so much because it's them (I don't really care about that) but because it's a game we obviously should have won - leading at half time, creating plenty even without playing particularly brilliantly, all against utterly woeful opposition - and then we serve up that second half. Just those three more points and not now being on a long winless run would quell some of the current discontent.

Well yeah, if you appoint some absolute duffer.

Appointing Saunders definitely made matters worse.
You could say that at any time though. If Nuno isn't the man then he needs to be replaced, obviously with a suitable candidate already lined up.

Well if he plays 4-2-3-1 in the next 5 games we win more than we lose and if Fulham continue at the same rate we’d probably be as good as safe.

Then we can all chill a bit.

You could say that at any time though. If Nuno isn't the man then he needs to be replaced, obviously with a suitable candidate already lined up.
He’s definately the man. Who else can you find with a similarly successful record over the last three seasons who we can get?

I'd be stunned if there was one. It's not just Nuno. His whole coaching staff would go too.

I don't think it's conclusive yet that he 'isn't the man', although if we limp through the rest of the season and end up 16th/17th (which i feel is realistic worst-case scenario) then it's not a good look, and takes away some of his sheen.

Once the season's over I suspect that unless there were also significant player grumblings the board would factor in extenuating circumstances this season and back him for next tbh

He’s definately the man. Who else can you find with a similarly successful record over the last three seasons who we can get?
No idea, but it's not down to me to name names :)

I hadn't heard of Nuno before he came here, nor many of our players who we've then signed.

I don't think anything is definitive yet, but it's a sad fact that managers and players have ceilings and they don't always match the club they're at.

We can all have the biggest Nuno man-crush we like, but it could be that our achievements together are the limit of what he's capable of, perhaps the same goes for, say, Coady in a playing sense.

The romantic in me hopes not

I don't think it's conclusive yet that he 'isn't the man', although if we limp through the rest of the season and end up 16th/17th (which i feel is realistic worst-case scenario) then it's not a good look, and takes away some of his sheen.

Once the season's over I suspect that unless there were also significant player grumblings the board would factor in extenuating circumstances this season and back him for next tbh
If the board factor in extenuating circumstances, maybe we need to as well

I am, that's why I'm not calling for him to go.

I just feel that the extenuating circumstances come after his responsibility rather than before, which is why I've disagreed with the emphasis of other posters today

I'm sure the board will be just hoping we don't go down and then reset. It would be a very costly exercise any other way, and it would almost be like starting from scratch again.

I am, that's why I'm not calling for him to go.

I just feel that the extenuating circumstances come after his responsibility rather than before, which is why I've disagreed with the emphasis of other posters today
What difference does the order make? He's ultimately responsible but there are extenuating circumstances. Shall we just close the thread and leave it at that?

What difference does the order make? He's ultimately responsible but there are extenuating circumstances. Shall we just close the thread and leave it at that?
Please, it’s a pretty painful read. A lot of threads seem to go this way recently.

I don't get the call to close threads. If you don't want to talk about Nuno (and some of it will obviously be critical), then don't go on the thread?

This is Nuno's first real problem period with us in nearly 4 years - he should be given some time to resolve it.

None of us can know whether he can or not, but we have the players to get ourselves to a sufficient point to still be PL next year - if they don't then it's as much down to them as him.

Assuming we are still PL at the end then the club can look calmly at what they want to do for the next season & the future.

I think some of the problems we're seeing with 343 are the same that we saw when we first started playing it in that we had isolated attackers and nothing in the middle. We may have tweaked the front three but I feel 343 always leaves us exposed to any team with a semblance of a centre midfield

Back