• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Loan Watch 2018-2019

Clearly we need to have a rethink there. Two years in a row we've had a link up with a club and they've ended up worse off than when we got involved. The problem is that the level in the case of both Telford and Jumilla is too low, so our better prospects aren't going to be sent there...so they end up with players who by and large realistically have little business being on the books of Wolverhampton Wanderers.

I suppose if nothing else the lads who went over there will have learned plenty outside of football but it's not a great one to have on your CV...

Well we had the coaches over didn't we? If there is a long term plan in place I don't think it's right to call it a failure just yet. Having a club link where we know they will consistently play and train for a certain style is surely the approach. The issue you highlight though in that we don't seem to send anyone who has a future.

I'm sure Sedge will know more than I do but I believe that Spain's Tercera Division is basically regionalised parks football (there are over 350 teams in it!), so we have to find another link if nothing else.

I read the jumilla loan as moving on the players who weren’t going to be in our squad, or the u23’s. I figured they would all be released at the end of their contracts...

And then we extended Deslandes...

I'm sure Sedge will know more than I do but I believe that Spain's Tercera Division is basically regionalised parks football (there are over 350 teams in it!), so we have to find another link if nothing else.
Yep, pretty much. I live in Santiago de Compostela now (should really change my bio) and recently went to watch the local team compete in the play-offs for that league (they lost - on away goals). I'd say calling it Conference North standard would be kind - although maybe it means Olofinjana gets his boots on for Jumilla next year.

NB: If anyone fancies a sexy bit of bed-time reading for tonight, check out the play-off system for La Tercera División. It's really quite something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Tercera_División_play-offs

I've taken a free hour or so to write a comprehensive end of season review, you lucky people.

I'm too lazy to go back through the thread so all the stats are from Transfermarkt - you can blame them for any inaccuracies.

Wolves Loanees 2018/2019

Kortney Hause – Aston Villa, Championship

Minutes: 894
Goals/Assists: 1/0

After a calamitous first appearance at Brentford, where he was responsible for conceding two goals, he reclaimed his place in the team due to an injury. Starting at left-back, he played nine games on the bounce during which he moved to centre-half to form a useful partnership with Tyrone Mings . Missed the run-in with a hip injury before making a late cameo in the play-off final.

Rating (out of 10) – 7. Not bad but can’t see Villa signing him. Might well get a move to the Championship.

Danny Batth – Middlesborough, Championship

Mins:720
G/A: 0/0

Spent his first couple of months on the bench then a couple of runs in Pulis’s team. Praised by the manager on a couple of occasions, perhaps unsurprisingly.

Rating: 6. Did his job without any fuss and moved to Stoke in the January transfer window where he has been an ever-present.

Leo Bonatini – Nottingham Forest, Championship.

Mins: 158

Probably went as bad as it could have gone for Leo, who disappeared from the Forest squad after making little no impact, albeit in what were largely cameo appearances.

Rating – 1. Hate to give him this mark but he literally did nothing. Will be shipped out in the summer.

Bright Enobakhare - Coventry City, League One, Kilmarnock, SPL & Coventry City, League One.

Total mins: 1,674
G/A: 6/3

Easily the pick of the League One loanees, if not the lot. After being used sparingly by Steve Clarke north of the border, he moved down the road after the Christmas and went straight into the side. Finding his groove as their second striker, he became a key figure in a side pushing for the play-offs and had the best spell of his short career so far.

Rating – 9. Mark Robins described him as a phenomenal talent and there’ll probably be a few clubs after him now. Will be interesting to see what Wolves decide to do.

Jordan Graham – Ipswich, Championship & Oxford United, League One.

Total Mins: 1,528
G/A: 1/0

For a player with such talent, it’s slightly uncomfortable watching him struggle like this. Bombed out of the squad by Paul Lambert at Ipswich, he returned to Oxford after Christmas. He made a decent start with a solid run of games, a goal at Blackpool being the highlight, but then he lost his place in the side as the season came to a close.

Rating: 3. Another one without a future at Wolves and he should be happy with a move to League One to get his career back on track.

EEL – Rochdale, League One.

Mins: 1,632
G/A: 2/0

Ah, EEL. Just when we thought he’d disappeared into oblivion, he got himself a loan to Rochdale in January and actually did well for himself, helping them to safety. Kept up his happy knack of chipping in with a goal or two as well.

Rating: 7. Has since earned himself a permanent move to Sam Ricketts’ Shrewsbury, so hasn’t done too badly at all.

Connor Johnson – Walsall, League One.

Mins: 930
G/A : 1/0

Went on a season-long loan to the Saddlers and spent the first half of it on the bench, apart from an EFL Trophy appearance and goal. Suddenly thrown into the team for a handful of games before being banished from the squad until April. His second spell in the team was more fruitful, only two goals conceded in the side’s last four games, but it wasn’t enough to save them from relegation.

Rating: 4. Bit of a weird one, really. Another one with an uncertain future.

Connor Ronan – Walsall, League One and DAC Dunajska Streda, Slovak Superleague

Total mins: 1,895
G/A: 1/3

Went to Walsall with Connor J but was chronically under-used by Dean Keates who seemed to have not known what type of player Ronan was before signing him.

Had a much more productive spell linking up with Christian Herc at DAC, hitting a run of 10 full games in the team as his side finished 3rd. Looked to have been an important member of the side, with Herc dropping to the bench on occasions.

Rating: 7. Did well to recover from his Walsall experience and could well get a move to the Championship.

Christian Herc - DAC Dunajska Streda, Slovak Superleague

Mins: 2,785
G/A: 3/6

A solid first half of the season saw him as a fundamental part of a team involved in Europa League action, chipping in with goals and assists from midfield. An injury knocked him off his stride though.

Rating: 7. Wolves have progressed at breakneck speed since he left for Slovakia so, like Ronan, he’d find it hard to get anywhere near the squad next season.

Donovan Wilson – Exeter City, League Two and FC Jumilla.

Total minutes: 1,539
G/A : 6/2.

Had a scrappy spell in League Two, making mostly sub appearances and grabbing a couple of assists along the way.
Joined the Wolves contingent in Southern Spain after though and notched a decent goals/games ratio, including a run of a goal in three games on the spin.

Rating 6. Seems like League Two was a bit too much for him so Jumilla might be his level unfortunately.

Aaron Collins – Colchester United, League Two

Mins: 143

A potentially beautiful partnership with Franck Nouble never materialised and he spent most of the spell on the bench.
Rating: 2. Morecambe must have seen something they liked, snapping him up on a free in February. He repaid them with 8 goals (and 4 assists) in 15 games to help them stave off the threat of relegation to non-league.

Ben Goodliffe – Dagenham and Redbridge, The National League

Mins: 2,799

Played a lot of minutes at centre-half for Peter Taylor’s side, which isn’t bad for a 19 year old with hardly any prior professional experience. Seemed to lose his way a little as his side struggled and lost his place in the team at the end of March.

Rating: 7. A solid enough season but has just been released by Wolves.

Roderick Miranda - Olympiacos, Greek Superleague.

Mins: 1,743
G/A: 0/3

Subject to an erratic rotation policy, Rodders often found himself chucked out of the squad after what seemed to be a reasonable showing. Got a few Europa League appearances under his belt against Milan and er… Burnley, so that’s something I suppose.

Rating: 4. No future at Wolves but I imagine his stock is still fairly high in Portugal so will probably go back there.

Rafa Mir – Las Palmas, La Liga 2

Mins: 1,650
G/A: 7/1

A bit of a patchy season in a struggling side for Rafa, who hasn’t exactly set the world alight. He’s been banging them in the Spanish U21s, though.
Rating: 6. He’s more or less done at Wolves, I imagine, with a return to Spain the most likely outcome.

Harry Burgoyne – Falkirk, Scottish Championship.

Mins: 1,350
Goals Conceded: 17
Clean Sheets: 4

After recovering from a broken ankle at Plymouth, joined bottom club Falkirk after Christmas and put in some decent performances, keeping his place in the side until the end of the season. And the club’s eventual relegation.

Rating: 7. Going down must have hurt but it was better for him to be out getting some experience, rather than playing head tennis with Will Norris at Compton.

Benny Ashley-Seal - FC Famalicão, Portuguese LigaPro (second tier)

Mins: 68

Not given much of a chance but still managed to get a goal as his team achieved promotion to the Premier League.

Rating: 5 – Highly thought of at Wolves. A loan to a Championship/League One club is probably next.

Michal Zyro – Pogon Szczecin, Polish Ekstraklasa

Mins: 256

Looks like his career is in tatters at 26, which makes it all the more disgusting that the MK Dons thug got away with what was effectively common assault. Injured until February, fair play to him for fighting back to fitness and getting a goal for his team. Nowhere near his best though and he was dropped from the squad as the season ended.

Don’t think it’d be fair to rate him after what happened. Best of luck to him.

Joe Mason – Portsmouth, League One.

Mins: 149

Well, 149 EFL Trophy minutes. He scored a free-kick for Uncle Kenny, though. Oh yeah, and comically skied a pen.

Rating:0. Would have given you a couple for the free-kick, Joe, but then you went and Waddled it all up.

Sherwin Seedorf – Bradford City, League One & FC Jumilla, Spanish Third Tier.

Total mins: 601

Drifted around the squad at Bradford at the start of the season, a few cup appearances bumping up his minutes. Went out to Jumilla later on and didn’t do much more there.

Rating: 2. He’ll be out the door soon

FC Jumilla – Spanish Segunda División

Our first attempt at an arrangement like this perhaps disturbingly ended in relegation. Some positives can be found, however. Ryan Leak and Bouba Hanne both made over 30 appearances, the former being named captain on several occasions. Wilson and Hanne got 10 goals between them, Yang chipped in with a number of good performances while Ben Stevenson started the season well before fading away.

It also confirmed that Deslandes, Randall, Simpson and Ruddy (who went to another third tier team and couldn’t get into the team there either) are not fit for purpose, which we probably knew anyway.

Rating: 6. Not great, but we might well try it with a different club, especially with Jumilla playing parks football next season.

Aaron Hayden – Stourbridge , Evo-Stik Premier.

No performance data (and I can’t be bothered to trawl back through the thread)

A fairly regular starter throughout the season and a decent goal record for a centre-half.

Rating: 6. Another one who’s found his level, maybe he’ll stick around at Stourbridge.

Phil Afosu-Ayeh – Hansa Rostock & Wurzburger Kickers, 3.Bundesliga.
(See Hayden).

Made a few sporadic appearances but appeared to struggle with injuries once again. Did find the net in a 14-0 rout, though.

Rating: 1. I’ll give him a point for his role in last year’s title celebrations.

Paul Gladon – Sint-Truidense, Belgian League.

Mins: 1

Don’t forget that one minute cameo spell everyone. Interestingly, has since gone to Groningen in the Eredivisie and notched 5 goals in his last 7 games. Powerhouse.

Dan McKenna – AFC Telford , National League North
Mins: 0.

What do you mean you don’t care? Poor lad.

Daniel Csoka – DAC Dunajska Streda, Slovak Superleague

Mins: 0

OK, I’ll stop.

Last edited:
Yep, much kudos for keeping a great thread going sedge. Have read it almost every week throughout the season. Will be reading next seasons too :icon_wink:

Awesome work mate. Thanks.

Brilliant Sedge. Cheers for that, much appreciated. Not just the season review but the posts all season.

Cheers everyone, very kind.

I'll get the new thread up and running soon!

It has been really interesting to follow, so cheers for your efforts Sedgers.

Back