• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Luton 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

VAR audio incidents on tonight's "Match Officials Mic'd Up" with Howard Webb and Michael Owen 7pm Sky Sports Main Event / PL

- Luis Diaz's disallowed goal vs. Tottenham
- Joao Gomes' handball penalty vs. Luton
- Malo Gusto's red card vs. Aston Villa
- Mateo Kovacic's tackles on Odegaard and Rice

Fans will still have their own take on it, but "extremely above the head" is the language used.
I do understand the argument" Webb says on the Gomes incident..

He has suggested flexibility is needed, especially when the ball comes off another body part, but "can't say any deflection prevents a handball" because players would then approach with arms out.

Of course - players will risk giving away a penalty with their arms out in the hope that it deflects off another part of the body first especially when the opponent is a couple of yards away.

I didn’t see the section on it but picked up quotes from elsewhere. For those who did watch is Webb effectively saying that they’ll make up stuff to protect the ref if it suits?

Edit just seen it. Unnatural position is what they are saying - just making shit up.

Last edited:
I didn’t see the section on it but picked up quotes from elsewhere. For those who did watch is Webb effectively saying that they’ll make up stuff to protect the ref if it suits?

Edit just seen it. Unnatural position is what they are saying - just making shit up.
If the arm angle is greater than 90 degrees...

They just got rid of the offside lines, now they're going to introduce handball protractors.

Without the deflection it's the right call, with it as you say it's just reverse fitting the reason to suit the decision

Just watched it. absolute bullshit. Webb didn't believe what he was saying
His example of players blocking shots with arms out hoping for a minor deflection to prevent a penalty was laughable. The hand of Gomes was as far away from the situation as was possible and not in an unnatural position whilst lunging to block.
I accept that without a deflection as Tony says, it a nailed on penalty.

He actually said at one point, "FIFA have issued rules on how it can be used so that it can be uniform throughout Europe, all countries will be using it the same way."
Really?
Are you telling me that Germany, or Portugal or Sweden are experiencing the same embarrassing fuck up analysis after a weekend of football?

Refs are arrogant. Who knew?
Ball to hand = not deliberate, play on.
Hand to ball = deliberate, foul play.
It really is that simple.
Always was, always will be.

“Ball to hand”
“Hand to ball”
“Simple”

I kind of almost get his last point - if the interpretation was that any deflection no matter how slight negated the penalty, you'd definitely see defenders taking advantage of that. Still a bullshit call though, nobody wants to see penalties given for that sort of incident

I don't like the original decision but they've given an explanation for it and it isn't a clear and obvious error.

The inconsistency shown between refs is the huge problem.

I don't like the term "unnatural" position either, he's stretching for the ball, that's why his hand is up there, not because he is thinking "I'll put my hand up here to prevent the cross/shot" there's no way he's done that.

Genuinely deliberate handballs in the box are SO rare, usually only because someone is desperately trying to stop the ball going in on the line (and Keith Gillespie brain farts) yet we see so many penalties for handball, it's gone all to cock.

Last edited:
Aye, it's like to see referees try and replicate Joao's action and keep their arms by their side

If refs applied just a little common sense when interpreting the guidance it would help. A quick question to themselves along the lines of “did he go into the challenge with any intent of handling the ball and have his team in any way benefited from the fact it has struck his hand?” would lead to the correct decision.

Back