• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Luton 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

His whole Wolves career has been undone by a non-violent push with the sole....

OK I'm done now. I had a good day at the Beer Festival, thank you...

It was on 39 minutes and we'd had 0 shots, on or off target, against Luton.

Not sure it made the difference you suggest, even with 11 men Gal's tactics would have been to go all out defend once Neto scored (out of nowhere).
I don’t disagree, we were still pretty crap, but so were they; at 11v11 I think there’s just a better chance we don’t concede (I understand it’s 10% vs 15% really and confounded further by the pen).

It’s one of those where you really have to go down a rabbithole, but IMO it still sucks that Lockyer’s dipshit thigh-grip isn’t getting any flak at all (that I’ve seen). Does my head in.

That is just horrendous. What established team would ever see such stats against what everyone agrees is a no-hoper promoted team with zero points. Awful.

We aren't established, didn't you read Jeff's message. Newly promoted.

I imagine after previous performances where we'd been fairly dominant and on the front foot but then shot our bolt on 60 mins that the plan against Luton was take it easy for the first half, conserve energy and put the game to bed in the second half.
Plan went out of the window once we were down to 10.

If so that would be a shit plan. Luton are on zero points at the time and their confidence should have been brittle. So hitting them hard and getting a couple of goals may have seen them collapse.

They left the space for us to do it, too. They basically played a 5-1-4 in the first half and there were acres of space in central midfield that we never seemed to try and exploit.

I imagine after previous performances where we'd been fairly dominant and on the front foot but then shot our bolt on 60 mins that the plan against Luton was take it easy for the first half, conserve energy and put the game to bed in the second half.
Plan went out of the window once we were down to 10.

Nothing about the other results was to do with fitness or energy, rotten defending, finishing and tactics were at play there.

If so that would be a shit plan. Luton are on zero points at the time and their confidence should have been brittle. So hitting them hard and getting a couple of goals may have seen them collapse.
I agree. It was a shit plan. Timid.

Nothing about the other results was to do with fitness or energy, rotten defending, finishing and tactics were at play there.
Disagree with the first bit.
However, defending, finishing and tactics have been a problem since the latter days of Nuno.

Defending was fine under Nuno. So were tactics.

I dunno, I think there's a big difference between defending well in a 433/442, than defending well in what often looked like 5221. We were defensively sound but that owed to numbers and shape that often had a detrimental effect on control and attacking ability. Like Coady and Kilman looked great in that back 5, but neither of them are particularly good defenders.

Kilman didn't play very much under Nuno and certainly never looked great when he did. He had about four good months under Lage.

Defending was fine under Nuno. So were tactics.
When we were losing to Huddersfield, Burnley, Watford, Southampton etc? Scraping a lucky 1-0 against Chorley?
Admittedly we had some great results against some of top sides under Nuno but some pretty patchy performances here and there.

When we were losing to Huddersfield, Burnley, Watford, Southampton etc? Scraping a lucky 1-0 against Chorley?
Admittedly we had some great results against some of top sides under Nuno but some pretty patchy performances here and there.
this is why we aren’t allowed nice things.

Nuno lost 1 of his 6 league games against Saints, a hangover after the cup semi.

Won 2 and lost 2 of his 4 against Watford, one of those when we were both challenging for 7th.

Back