• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd FA Cup Thread

Seems he's having a few opportunities most games to get a shot or 2 away. Again, may well be a deliberate tactic in the team. We know he'll score another cracker soon, been too long since villa.

don't think it's that good an article tbh.

erm, has any other team beaten the reigning champions twice this season? did we not, only 3 weeks ago, play a big game on 27/12, and win 3-2? & deservedly so?

we were the better team, created better openings, and utd got lucky. That article in the main confirms that. the writers other opinions are way off.

Stop. We have had two incredible league results this season against Man City.

Our other five wins are against the current bottom five. One of those turned us over with ten men in the return.

We have conceded first in 16 out of 22 league games. We have played 38 games already.

We are not world beaters. On form we are a good side. Off the pace and we drop points too easily, too often that's why Man U are deservedly fifth despite their frailties and in three meetings against them we have managed no wins and 1 goal.

I love how far we have come in a short time but some of you have been watching different games to me this season. We are experts at shooting our feet off. Its the target we hit most!

I've seen every minute of all 38 games and I reckoned we played poorly:

Burnley - first half
Everton - defensively overall and second half in general
Chelsea - after they scored
Palace - second half until we scored (should have been well clear at HT mind)
Sheff Utd - first half
Norwich - first half (won anyway)

That's it.

To read this forum you'd think we were bloody Southend. In-game, after game, generally, makes no difference. So unrelentingly negative.

Nope. You are being glass half empty (actually smashed against the wall in a complete fit of pique) just to fit your sig.

We have an excellent points return from losing positions. Only Liverpool have a better return if we actually get ahead.

We have been the better side against United in all three games.

Stop. We have had two incredible league results this season against Man City.

Our other five wins are against the current bottom five. One of those turned us over with ten men in the return.

We have conceded first in 16 out of 22 league games. We have played 38 games already.

We are not world beaters. On form we are a good side. Off the pace and we drop points too easily, too often that's why Man U are deservedly fifth despite their frailties and in three meetings against them we have managed no wins and 1 goal.

I love how far we have come in a short time but some of you have been watching different games to me this season. We are experts at shooting our feet off. Its the target we hit most!
Don't tell me to stop. That's rude.

You spent last season moaning we didn't beat the bottom half teams.
This season you're moaning we can't beat the top half teams.
Our league position this season has probably been higher on average than compared to last season.

We have no divine right to win every game. That said, we've deserved to win more games than we have.
Our performances in about 85% of games this season has been good to very good. Hell, I really enjoyed besiktas at home, and seeing the squad players in Nuno's system, and playing really well.

We ARE a good side. On form we're brilliant.

I don't know what you want. Seems to be you just want to moan. But mate there are so many double standards. I mean you've been wanting to write off MGW, because he hasn't shown enough, at the age of 19, yet persist in defending Denley in the cricket thread with exactly the opposite perspective.

Don't tell me to stop. That's rude.

You spent last season moaning we didn't beat the bottom half teams.
This season you're moaning we can't beat the top half teams.
Our league position this season has probably been higher on average than compared to last season.

We have no divine right to win every game. That said, we've deserved to win more games than we have.
Our performances in about 85% of games this season has been good to very good. Hell, I really enjoyed besiktas at home, and seeing the squad players in Nuno's system, and playing really well.

We ARE a good side. On form we're brilliant.

I don't know what you want. Seems to be you just want to moan. But mate there are so many double standards. I mean you've been wanting to write off MGW, because he hasn't shown enough, at the age of 19, yet persist in defending Denley in the cricket thread with exactly the opposite perspective.

It wasn't meant to be rude.
I have not written off MGW. I have said he has not progressed. That's fact. I have said he has not shown enough premier league quality. That's fact. I said he needs to step up if given chances. That's fact. On his current form he is not a pick ahead of any of our midfield or attacking options.

The last time I checked Besiktas were not in the English Premier League. Only Braga and Torino would be premier league quality. Slovan would struggle and Besiktas would be a Swindon, Barnsley or Bradford.

We were inconsistent last season raising our game for top sides and being beaten by teams who came with a stifling negative plan. That's fact.
This season we keep conceding the first goal and in many cases its down to poor defending or individual errors. That's fact.

Denly has been brought in to do exactly what he is doing in the absence of any successful alternative, and plenty have been tried.

There's a section of fans (always has been) to whom we'll forever be two players short.

I had the thick end of 30 years watching broadly shit football. There were about six decent seasons mixed in there. Nuno comes in, we have two and a half great years with some of the best footballers I've ever seen in a gold shirt and people just incessantly fucking whine. It does my nut in.

If you can't enjoy this and accept that sadly, your team can't sign everyone you want them to (not even Real Madrid have that privilege) and they can't play brilliantly all the time (not even Bayern get to do that, in what has become a criminally unbalanced league), maybe you should find something else to do. Because I doubt Wolverhampton Wanderers will ever give you what you want.

I've seen every minute of all 38 games and I reckoned we played poorly:

Burnley - first half
Everton - defensively overall and second half in general
Chelsea - after they scored
Palace - second half until we scored (should have been well clear at HT mind)
Sheff Utd - first half
Norwich - first half (won anyway)

That's it.

To read this forum you'd think we were bloody Southend. In-game, after game, generally, makes no difference. So unrelentingly negative.

Exactly!!!!!!!!

In games we played well we lost to Liverpool, Spurs Watford, dropped points to Southampton, Arsenal, Man united, when conceding preventable goals.

Ok.

So if you agree with that assessment, and there is a very low percentage of games where we've played poorly (especially if you take the whole match into account, most of those bad shows are only half the game), then what's the "you must be watching different games to me" stuff?

We're a good team.

There's a section of fans (always has been) to whom we'll forever be two players short.

I had the thick end of 30 years watching broadly shit football. There were about six decent seasons mixed in there. Nuno comes in, we have two and a half great years with some of the best footballers I've ever seen in a gold shirt and people just incessantly fucking whine. It does my nut in.

If you can't enjoy this and accept that sadly, your team can't sign everyone you want them to (not even Real Madrid have that privilege) and they can't play brilliantly all the time (not even Bayern get to do that, in what has become a criminally unbalanced league), maybe you should find something else to do. Because I doubt Wolverhampton Wanderers will ever give you what you want.

I couldn't have put it better myself, DW - well said! :icon_smile:

Now that's a real extreme shift! Just because we have done well for two years doesn't mean we can't do better. Absolutely no where have I read fosuns intent is to be a middling premier league side. Their stated ambitions are higher than that. So our expectations are higher. Our expectations are still on Neves levels. On Raul, Rui, Jota . That's reality. If a team says its a aiming to compete at the highest level and will only sign players that are better than what they have then its very fair and balanced of fans to critique the performance and standard of recruitment to meet those aims. I have seen the last two and a half windows, judged the quality of the player brought in and its been found wanting.

Ok.

So if you agree with that assessment, and there is a very low percentage of games where we've played poorly (especially if you take the whole match into account, most of those bad shows are only half the game), then what's the "you must be watching different games to me" stuff?

We're a good team.

We are also fucking knackered and in danger of running out of steam by February

We're not tired, we made most of the running last night against a close to full strength Manchester United at Old Trafford. In our own fairly unique style but still, we were the better team.

It's a shitty narrative that gets trotted out whenever we're losing.

We aren't going down or even going to be close, the Europa League is the priority from here on in.

We're not tired, we made most of the running last night against a close to full strength Manchester United at Old Trafford. In our own fairly unique style but still, we were the better team.

We aren't going down or even going to be close, the Europa League is the priority from here on in.

I beg to differ. We were noticeably slower the last twenty I thought.

It wasn't meant to be rude.
it came across that way.
I have not written off MGW. I have said he has not progressed. That's fact. [/QUOTE]conjecture, not fact. you seem to have written him off. he's not the same player he was when he first came on. he's played in a number of positions for us.
I have said he has not shown enough premier league quality. That's fact.
more conjecture, and he has shown premiership quality. cardiff, chelsea last season he was great. he repeatedly was involved in some fantastic interplay with Raul and Jota last season when he had game time.
I said he needs to step up if given chances. That's fact. .
I can't think of a single player this doesn't apply to? so meaningless.
On his current form he is not a pick ahead of any of our midfield or attacking options.
I'm not sure who would get in front of Moutinho and Neves to be honest.

The last time I checked Besiktas were not in the English Premier League. Only Braga and Torino would be premier league quality. Slovan would struggle and Besiktas would be a Swindon, Barnsley or Bradford.
Besiktas. Probably the best and most consistent club turkey has produced. Quarter finalists of the europa league in 2016/17. Last 16 of the champions league 2017-18. Also twice in the last 16 of the europa league in the past decade. They're a really good team with some pedigree. And we beat them.

We were inconsistent last season raising our game for top sides and being beaten by teams who came with a stifling negative plan. That's fact.
We were a promoted team. By any standards we acheived more than anyone exopected, playing quality football.
This season we keep conceding the first goal and in many cases its down to poor defending or individual errors. That's fact.
One! You've one fact in the entire post that I can agree with.

denley has been brought in to do exactly what he is doing in the absence of any successful alternative, and plenty have been tried.
MGW, at the opposite end of a career to denley, has shown enough to be one of Nuno's first options in midfield and attack. How you can lambast one yet defend the other is bizarre, and very inconsistent.

One! You've one fact in the entire post that I can agree with.

I will take that!

And that's the point of the forum. We see different things watching the same

Apologies if I came over as rude. That's not me.

I've got to disagree with the not being tired bit. We definitely are or at least some players to some degree are and at times it may even be mentally rather than physically. In that second half we were visibly much deeper than in the first half and were breaking in 1s and 2s with very few bodies (even less than usual) getting forward. I think Jimenez has been feeling the effects of his game time for the last month at least, his touch isn't consistently quite where it was at the start of the season and i think he's missed several chances that a fully fit focused Raul scores. I also think Adama has looked tired in recent games which is going to happen with the amount of sprints he actually does per game. The way we play we need those forward player to be as close to 100% as possible and with the lack or rotation that Nuno has chosen or been forced upon it has definitely had an effect.

This should change though with going out of the cup as after the Liverpool game we only have 1 game in around 20 days which should allow specifically Raul and Adama to recuperate a little. Hopefully this is accompanied by a couple of good attacking signings.

I've got to disagree with the not being tired bit. We definitely are or at least some players to some degree are and at times it may even be mentally rather than physically. In that second half we were visibly much deeper than in the first half and were breaking in 1s and 2s with very few bodies (even less than usual) getting forward. I think Jimenez has been feeling the effects of his game time for the last month at least, his touch isn't consistently quite where it was at the start of the season and i think he's missed several chances that a fully fit focused Raul scores. I also think Adama has looked tired in recent games which is going to happen with the amount of sprints he actually does per game. The way we play we need those forward player to be as close to 100% as possible and with the lack or rotation that Nuno has chosen or been forced upon it has definitely had an effect.

This should change though with going out of the cup as after the Liverpool game we only have 1 game in around 20 days which should allow specifically Raul and Adama to recuperate a little. Hopefully this is accompanied by a couple of good attacking signings.

I'd agree on Raul, the touch to mug off three United defenders was sublime but it just smacked of a tired finish.

Probably your best ever post. So fucking accurate. You should have it as your sig.

I beg to differ. We were noticeably slower the last twenty I thought.

I don't think we were notably slower, I do think as is the norm one or 2 players started to tire.
Unfortunately our options on the bench is really weak.

Only Ruddy, Kilman, and a fit MGW would be challenging for a start, the others would not be in the match day squad

Back