• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Norwich Home FA Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jinky made reference to this on another thread, but I think it will be really interesting from a team culture perspective to so how we shape up without Traore on the bench. We've got a group of players in his position who now no longer have either the worry of losing their place to him or the subconscious thought that 'I can just keep it tidy and Adama is coming on'. Maybe it's a false sensation as a spectator but, despite his limited contribution, his presence did, at just some times, loom over proceedings? That could be everything from a comfort blanket knowing he was there to bring on during a deadlocked match to the focal point for frustration when things were going wrong. Without him I'm positive and hoping we see some players step up (Trincao, I'm looking at you) - it's your show now, no Adama to blame it on, or to hope will change the game.

It seems like everyone, including me, has the same general opinion of Trincao. FWIW I'm at the slightly more hopeful end of that narrow spectrum. Discounting the cash (if only we could in both senses) he's got good technique, a good footballing brain, a bit of height and should be able to compete physically. Lack of confidence in front of goal and callowness about him are things I'd hope a good coach, which Bruno is, could address. Maybe the link to Traore going is a red herring, but seems like the time and opportunity is now.

Of course, Neto could just come back flying from day one and it's as you were!

I'm 50/50 on Trincao atm, he obviously has some talent and skills, we definitely played better as a team with him over Traore but he really needs some assists and goals, I know there's more to a player than that, but that's what his detractors will keep hitting him with.

Ruddy
Kilman Coady Saiss / Toti
Semedo Neves Moutinho RAN
Trincao Fabio Podence

Bring Cundle on after 60 minutes or so if we're winning, or Raul if we're losing.

One thought might be a 352 given how they won the midfield when we played them in the PL. If we go 352 then Cundle in midfield with Raul & Fabio up top

I think I'd start Donk in this one and hope that he can play himself in to some form. No idea about Raul's availability and assume Saiss will be given some time to rest after the ACON. Also doubt any of the injured players will now be back, so I'd probably go with this:

Ruddy
Semedo - Kilman - Coady - Toti - RAN
Neves - Donk
Trincao - Fabio - Podence
It would be ideal if we could give Podence/Neves a rest at some point, if we're winning comfortably. Maybe even Semedo, who could always make way for Hoever.

My first game since to 2-1 battering of Villa, i really cannot wait.

This is a famtastic opportunity to have a good cup run, so would like to see us strong.

---------------------Ruddy----------------------
------Kilman-------Coady----------Gomez
semedo---Donk------------Neves------Ran-
Chiquito------------Silva----------------Podence

Bring Cundle on for Donk after 60 mins give him some minutes, I think Norwich may not be that strong prioritising premier league survival.

Last edited:
I hope Jonny can play some part. Agreed we should go strong, absolutely 0% chance of relegation, a win here puts us three games from a final with far less pressure than others we're likely to face.

2021/22: D 0-0 (A)
2019/20: W 3-0 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2017/18: D 2-2 (H), W 2-0 (A)
2016/17: L 0-1 (H), L 1-3 (A)
2014/15: W 1-0 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2011/12: D 2-2 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2008/9: D 3-3 (H), L 2-5 (A)
2007/8: W 2-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2006/7: D 2-2 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2005/6: W 2-0 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2002/3: W 1-0 (H), W 3-0 (A)
2001/2: D 0-0 (H), L 0-2 (A), L 1-3 (A, P/O), W 1-0 (H, P/O)
2000/1: W 4-0 (H), L 0-1 (A)
1999/0: W 1-0 (H), L 0-1 (A)
1998/9: D 2-2 (H), D 0-0 (A)
1997/8: W 5-0 (H), W 2-0 (A)
1996/7: W 3-2 (H), L 0-1 (A)
1995/6: L 0-2 (H), W 3-2 (A)

We haven't faced Norwich in the FA Cup since 1980. Beat them 3-2 at Carrow Road in a replay after drawing 1-1 at Molineux (we then lost 0-3 at home to Watford in the Fifth Round).

I was at that Watford game. It was when they were on the rise under Taylor with Luther Blisset up front. I think they were in Division Two whilst we were in the top flight.

We finished 6th and won the League Cup against European Cup winners Nottingham Forest, think of that kind of scalp these days! Would be talked about for decades. I never even knew until I looked it up just now, it was a year before I was born.

We finished 6th and won the League Cup against European Cup winners Nottingham Forest, think of that kind of scalp these days! Would be talked about for decades. I never even knew until I looked it up just now, it was a year before I was born.
I've just found a match report and we weren't helped by John McAlle coming on as sub and immediately breaking his leg. I recall the incident but didn't remember it was in that game. I'll use being 8 at the time as an excuse.

You lot are so fucking young, I was 'looking forward' to getting married a few weeks later.

That pretty much finished John McAlle, I remember my Dad saying. Shame.

After the summer 2021 price rises I made a point of saying I wouldn't give the club a penny of additional money, which I'm sticking by. I don't enjoy missing games but they engendered this situation.

@sycophantia - I'm 41 in a couple of months, "young" no longer comes into it (don't be fooled by the nice haircut and inability to grow facial hair) :D

If Josh Sargent scores against us, I quit football.

I remember losing 0-3, and John McAlle breaking his leg, like it was yesterday, but didn't remember that Watford were in a lower division.

Watford finished 18th in Division Two that season. That's a howler from us.

Remember it, but not there. Remember a never heard of before Mo Johnston scoring a hat trick against us 3 years later very clearly though

That pretty much finished John McAlle, I remember my Dad saying. Shame.

After the summer 2021 price rises I made a point of saying I wouldn't give the club a penny of additional money, which I'm sticking by. I don't enjoy missing games but they engendered this situation.

@sycophantia - I'm 41 in a couple of months, "young" no longer comes into it (don't be fooled by the nice haircut and inability to grow facial hair) :D
Haha......at 63, 41 feels like it was very much 'prime of my life' was still playing squash and hill walking then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back