• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season 2017

Kenny

🤨
Staff member
Reaction score
12th July Werder Bremen (in Austria)
22nd July (A) Shrewsbury
25th July (A) Peterborough
29th July (H) v Leicester City

"Prior to those games Wolves are set to play three further friendlies during a pre-season trip to a country in Europe"

My guess. Portugal to include a game with Benfica.

Last edited:
I thought Germany was mooted although I could be wrong (and I can't find a link).

No pre season tour of China?

Guess that will happen if/when we hit the Prem.

I know they wanted to do a 4 team tournament but probably couldn't get any decent teams to take part with us. A lot of these Pre-Season tournaments are booked a year in advance.

Leicester will be a good test for us.

It's depressing that teams like Swansea and Leicester are our glamour friendlies, looking forward to Bournemouth next year. Yes, I know I'm being an old fart.

Am I the only one who doesn't give a flying fuck about pre-season? I hope the Euro 'tour' is somewhere new that fans can enjoy mixed in with a bit of a holiday but I couldn't care less about the teams we play or the results.

Am I the only one who doesn't give a flying fuck about pre-season? I hope the Euro 'tour' is somewhere new that fans can enjoy mixed in with a bit of a holiday but I couldn't care less about the teams we play or the results.

Main concern with pre-season is that the players get up to speed, whilst not getting injured. One of the main priorities is to work on a system and style that we can go in to the new season comfortable and confident playing.

To that end, I'm surprised you "don't give a flying fuck".

Of course, the results mean and count towards nothing. But a good pre-season and building up that winning feeling before the season starts can help us hit the ground running.

Main concern with pre-season is that the players get up to speed, whilst not getting injured. One of the main priorities is to work on a system and style that we can go in to the new season comfortable and confident playing.

To that end, I'm surprised you "don't give a flying fuck".

Of course, the results mean and count towards nothing. But a good pre-season and building up that winning feeling before the season starts can help us hit the ground running.

Erm, yes - I know that. I didn't say it wasn't important.

People who lose their shit over pre-season results need to be fired into the sun. It's interesting though as it gives you an insight into what the manager's planning. Not that it's always good news, 'We've bought Jelle van Damme to play at left back but he can't play at left back' and 'Looks like Dave Edwards will be playing on the left of a diamond midfield' weren't great signs.

People who lose their shit over pre-season results need to be fired into the sun. It's interesting though as it gives you an insight into what the manager's planning. Not that it's always good news, 'We've bought Jelle van Damme to play at left back but he can't play at left back' and 'Looks like Dave Edwards will be playing on the left of a diamond midfield' weren't great signs.

Was it Wrexham that the 'Mick out' chants started?

Can't remember hearing any, though I was in a bit of a daze after watching Valentino Sheilis' amazing 45 minute Wolves career. I know we went to the pub once we got back home, some clot asked us the score and upon being told we lost 1-0 - Ikeme got beaten from about 35 yards, imagine that - wrote us off for the season.

What a day that was.

I seem to remember there was a bit of anti Mick sentiment and I think Woppio stood up and called them all cunts. EDIT - Thinking about it - wasn't it a "Freddie" chant, and Del kindly pointed out that we had sold the useless twat?

I may be mistaken though.

What a day that was.

I seem to remember there was a bit of anti Mick sentiment and I think Woppio stood up and called them all cunts.

Yeah that doesn't sound like the sort of thing Del would do.

What a day that was.

I seem to remember there was a bit of anti Mick sentiment and I think Woppio stood up and called them all cunts. EDIT - Thinking about it - wasn't it a "Freddie" chant, and Del kindly pointed out that we had sold the useless twat?

Yeah he stood up and told them if they want see Freddy to fuck off to Coventry

We want Freddy for our leader, Freddy is a man of class...

Andy Keogh: 79 (37) appearances, 19 goals (0.16 GPG, 1 x playoff finish, 1 x title win, 1 x virtual promotion clinching goal at Derby, 1 x winning goal in a PL away game - first away win in top flight in over 25 years)
Freddy Eastwood: 10 (21) appearances, 3 goals (0.10 GPG, 0 x anything to do with promotion, 5000 x standing with hands on hips, chewing gum, cannoning shots into defenders' shins from 40 yards)
Jon Dadi Bodvarsson: 22 (20) appearances, 3 goals (0.07 GPG, 1 x semi-relegation scrap in the second tier, 20 x leading our fans in getting the Icelandic thunderclap totally wrong)

Guess which one our fucking fans hated and which two were lionised.

Peterborough away on a Tuesday night FTW

Hertha and Union would be my dream pre-season. Next to that anything in Budapest.

Yeah he stood up and told them if they want see Freddy to fuck off to Coventry

"If you want to watch Freddy, Coventry is about 100 miles that way *points to left*" I think it was :icon_lol:

Back