• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Reading (H) Boxing Day Build-Up

So short on options, so many players not performing. We desperately need some new faces.

We don't seem minded to switch from this formation (we did actually look reasonable when attacking vs Leeds at some points, which is something I suppose) so I'd go:

-----------------------Ikeme------------------------------

Iorfa------------Batth------------Coady------------Golbourne

--------------McDonald--------Price----------------------

--------Byrne---------Wallace---------Graham-------------

-----------------------Afobe------------------------------------

2014/15: L 1-2 (H), D 3-3 (A)
2008/9: L 0-3 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2005/6: L 0-2 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2004/5: W 4-1 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2002/3: L 0-1 (H), W 1-0 (A), W 2-1 (H, P/O), W 1-0 (A, P/O)
1997/8: W 3-1 (H), D 0-0 (A), L 2-4 (A, LC)
1996/7: L 0-1 (H), L 1-2 (A)
1995/6: D 1-1 (H), L 0-3 (A)
1994/5: W 1-0 (H), L 2-4 (A)

Last Wolves manager to beat Reading at home....Stuart Gray.

ikeme

Iorfa Batth Coady Golbourne

Byrne Price McDonald Graham

Afobe Alfie

Coady for EEL who is shot at this level and we are out of options

I'd be happy with DW's team because that's the front 6 i want to see and we can't play Batth and EEL together again and i prefer Golbourne to Doherty even if he hasn't been great this season.

So short on options, so many players not performing. We desperately need some new faces.

We don't seem minded to switch from this formation (we did actually look reasonable when attacking vs Leeds at some points, which is something I suppose) so I'd go:

-----------------------Ikeme------------------------------

Iorfa------------Batth------------Coady------------Golbourne

--------------McDonald--------Price----------------------

--------Byrne---------Wallace---------Graham-------------

-----------------------Afobe------------------------------------

2014/15: L 1-2 (H), D 3-3 (A)
2008/9: L 0-3 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2005/6: L 0-2 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2004/5: W 4-1 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2002/3: L 0-1 (H), W 1-0 (A), W 2-1 (H, P/O), W 1-0 (A, P/O)
1997/8: W 3-1 (H), D 0-0 (A), L 2-4 (A, LC)
1996/7: L 0-1 (H), L 1-2 (A)
1995/6: D 1-1 (H), L 0-3 (A)
1994/5: W 1-0 (H), L 2-4 (A)

Last Wolves manager to beat Reading at home....Stuart Gray.
With Hoddle watching from the stands IIRC. A brace for Clarke and I think that I can remember big gay George majestically sweeping into the box to bury one too?

Hoddle was definitely there at the next home game (Millwall) where he got introduced to the crowd to a smattering of boos. Can't remember if he was at the Reading game as well.

Witchcraft in that season vs Reading, Seyi and Leon both played well in the two games (Leon scored in both) and Rohan Ricketts got the winner at the Madejski.

Hoddle was definitely there at the next home game (Millwall) where he got introduced to the crowd to a smattering of boos. Can't remember if he was at the Reading game as well.

Witchcraft in that season vs Reading, Seyi and Leon both played well in the two games (Leon scored in both) and Rohan Ricketts got the winner at the Madejski.

Was that the season before Reading went up? If so I think I went to that away game, last of the season perhaps?

Olofinjana went full 'skill skool' that game, chipping it up over opponents heads a couple of times on the run, shocking scenes.

Wallace has to get a run of games soon surely? By KJ's desperate rotations to try and make something happen I imagine he might get a chance - although out of position. I'm going to banging on about him until he gets a chance and proves me otherwise.

Was that the season before Reading went up? If so I think I went to that away game, last of the season perhaps?

Olofinjana went full 'skill skool' that game, chipping it up over opponents heads a couple of times on the run, shocking scenes.

That's the one. Stewards at the Madejski with flawless logic that day, telling people on the back row to sit down. They didn't get very far.

Hod was playing a diamond at the time:

----------------Seyi-----------------

-------Cameron----Ricketts---------

---------------Seol-------------------

Should have been terrible but bizarrely it actually worked. Although it was largely in dead games against teams with nothing to play for, Glenda's speciality.

Coco carried that midfield on his back.

I was there that day, I thought Olofonjana was going to lead us to the title the following season and Rickets was superb that day! Football really does defy logic sometimes.

The worst of it being - after 3-4 months of dicking around and tepid results, Hod finally stumbled upon a system which worked (probably earned him his contract in all honesty, as had we finished 15th or whatever we almost certainly wouldn't have bothered extending it beyond the end of 2004/5). So of course the following season he ripped it all up from day one and started playing something completely different with more or less the same players.

By the logic of Rotherham ALF will be playing against Reading.

Dare to dream of a front two or three involving Afobe and ALF.

Anything could happen and it possibly will ... The SKY is the limit.

I chuckled at the Wolves Happy Christmas email. Out of Darkness ....

The thing is - if Jackett can manage a few wins here and there plus a few draws here and there peppered with a lot of defeats between now and the end of the season then they will leave him there . Those results would give us enough points to remain 17th/18th/19th territory.......this would normally give you the sack but with an owner who wants to sell the club and a CEO that appears to have little interest they seem happy to drift . It makes for a very boring second half of the season , a time when it should be exciting , even nail biting stuff .

If Reading have watched our last two performances they'll know that they should really go for it in the opening 15-20 minutes and try and get a goal and put that 'defensive' line under as much pressure as possible. If that happens our house of cards will collapse and I think Saturday will likely be when patience really starts running out and it could get ugly. No trains so unable to get there, a blessing I feel.

If Reading have watched our last two performances they'll know that they should really go for it in the opening 15-20 minutes and try and get a goal and put that 'defensive' line under as much pressure as possible. If that happens our house of cards will collapse and I think Saturday will likely be when patience really starts running out and it could get ugly. No trains so unable to get there, a blessing I feel.

But isn't that the tired old cliché that away fans, pundits have been saying for the last 20 years if things aren't going well for Wolves...

No, they've been saying the opposite.

I will be there but I reckon there will be some empty seats. I'm not missing out on a social
cus we're rubbish!! I will even sky+ it and watch it again.
Need to go two up front.
Given up on hoping for Positive tactics.

Ken on Reading:

“They’ve had a great start and fallen away slightly and seem to be coming good now.

“Like most of the Championship sides, I feel they have some genuine power in their team, and genuine pace in their attacking positions, so we’re going to have to be at our best to make sure we address that.”

What in the blue hell is this "power" thing? Four separate interviews in a week he's mentioned it now.

Back