• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Spurs 2 v 3 Wolves: "We're shit! We're Great!" Thread

Just a note on Neto. What a sub to have, superb when he came on and he's improving all the time. The one run he made was obscene, beat Winks once and then did it again just for a laugh.

Neto is currently above Podence for me, though I'm liking what Podence looks like he's gonna bring to the party too.

Moutinho and Boly were the 2 slightly off their games for me today. Neves was again superb, and I thought both Vinagre and Doherty had good games. That first goal, where our 2 most advanced players, the creator and finisher were what some people still refer to as full backs.

Today also is a reminder of what a good keeper Patricio is.

The increased tactical nous we're seeing is really something.

Oh, I watched espn brazil. The foreign commentary was much more fun that what you lot appear to have endured!

I said on the commentary thread that once we got the 2nd equaliser we could and should go on to win it and we did so deservedly. Jota is getting better each game and was absolutely supreme for the 3rd, definitely MOTM. I thought Neves was also good, I thought the weakness in midfield very unusually was Moutinho. Thought Doc was great, Vinagre improved after a pretty torrid 1st half. Boly a bit shaky for a change. Neto made another great cameo from the bench, his run to set up Raul late on was ridiculous. I genuinely think he's gonna be truly special. Donk coming on definitely helped ease the nerves a bit too, our shape and closing down space was much better with him in there and they created very little once he came on.

Spurs fans seriously need to look at the pool of players they have choose from currently. Very mediocre said it on the match day thread our starting 11 was better than theirs.
Deleted with the win as I am for any win away from home, it’s not a shock result at all.

On Adama's shoulder, you'd think he'd need surgery in the summer, which will rule him out of the Euros (if Spain were to pick him). Having a quick trawl around online it looks like a recovery time of 12-16 weeks. Probably less given Wolves' medical team but might still see him miss the start of the season.

First time in 20 years Mourinho has lost at home after being ahead at half time

Interesting if you look at today’s players. Vinagre is 20 and Neto is 20 in a few days’ time. Jota is 23 and Neves is 23 in mid-March, Podence, Adama and Donk are 24. Jonny is 26 on Tuesday, Coady 27, Doherty and Jimenez are 28, Boly 29, Saiss 30 at the end of the month. Rui is 32 and Moutinho 33. Keep them together and in two years’ time there are going to be some serious players at their peak. Throw in a few quality signings and who knows?

Keep them together

This is it. It's what it all boils down to really (and including Nuno, obviously)

As long as the club's progress can keep up with that of the team's, you'd hope they wouldn't have reason to go anywhere. It's looking like we've got a good shot at getting back into Europe, maybe CL if things go well. At that point I'd hope we'd have enough £ coming in to be able to give out some new contracts to both protect ourselves and (rightly) reward the players. With the atmosphere around the team and the club that, actually, does seem genuine, you're probably looking at an enormous bid to turn someone's head.

There's a decent chance one is going to come sooner or later, at that point we'll know whether or not we've done enough to break the cycle of teams having their best talent torn from them. I think and hope we might, but for now just enjoy the ride.

-edit- to say I'm probably making it sound easy - it's not. Look at a team like Dortmund - they still will have teams like Man Utd coming in for their players. Which, on the surface, you would think doesn't make sense, Dortmund are far ahead of Utd in footballing terms at the moment, and they can probably compete with (but maybe not match) them financially (in terms of say wages - not commercially). They're in contention for trophies every year and have a brilliant young core of players. And yet...the old guard always seem to win out, for some reason.

It's a problem that's far bigger than us, to be honest, and in all honesty a nice problem to have compared to having a load of dead wood in the squad that we can't get shot of!

On the train back to Brum from Marylebone. You could hear a pin drop.

I think there were plenty still recovering from a Barcelona hangover. Myself included. Just walked in and straight off to bed!

Jota gets stick for going down too easy/early at times (despite being asssulted on a regular basis) but nice to see he saw the bigger picture for the winner, got clattered in the build up but stayed on his feet to feed Raul.....Adama too

Great result for you today. I'll be watching it with glee on MOTD2.

We did our bit by holding ManUre to a draw, but it so easily could have been the win.

Hopefully we can do you a solid at Chelski next week...

I watched this one sitting with the Spurs fans having been offered a ticket by a former colleague at the last minute.

First thing to mention is the stadium. It really is excellent. That single tier south stand looks absolutely awesome - unlike the London Stadium, the new WHL is still steep and therefore close to the pitch. Were they to make any noise, you'd expect Spurs to be able to generate quite the atmosphere there if they wanted to.

On that point, Spurs fans are not a happy bunch. Lots of hate aimed towards their sideways passing (the bang-average Dier being the most frequent target), but the way we press makes it very difficult to make incisive forward balls.

Spurs did get in behind us out wide a couple of times and I think that's where you realise how effective Jonny is at cutting out attacks. Our press invites teams to go wide and then the idea is to have two defenders on one forward and nick the ball back. Vinagre is still learning that part of his game, as we saw against Espanyol. His work for our first goal, however, was excellent. Great interplay with Jota on the left and it was good to see him take on his man, get to the byline, and cross first time without the need for a thousand stepovers.

Raúl, Boly, and Moutinho all had generally poor games by their standards, but there's a reason we tend not to sub off the former - what a composed finish for the winner. I think Raúl can often swipe at shots that land on his left foot (and he regularly tries to avoid using it), so to cut in like that and back himself was excellent.

For us to be marginally the better team for the majority of the match (iffy first half hour notwithstanding) with three of our best players not quite at the races goes to show the strength of our first 11. I also think we've really nailed the ability to switch between 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 - Dendoncker coming on was the perfect change at that stage due to Spurs throwing caution to the wind.

Jota was excellent in my view. He had a great header go just over from a set play, he ran at players with confidence, and - all of a sudden - the attempts at taking the ball past players (which have, at times this season, looked like runs down blind alleyways) have started to come off. That flick over his shoulder before setting off on the run that set up Raúl's winner was classic 2017/18 Jota.

Special mention for Doherty who was excellent at both ends of the pitch, including a fantastic block right towards the end which he celebrated more than any time I've seen him celebrate a goal.

The Wolves fans were great throughout, notwithstanding the pretty small allocation. It wasn't easy having to sit on my hands when we scored (three times!), but I'm glad I got to see us play at such an incredible stadium.

Finally, a comment on our second goal - what a fantastic move, executed under some pressure by Neves. That type of quick, forward pass is what I've wanted to see more of from the team and I'm glad he backed himself to receive the ball from Moutinho and get it in and out of his feet quickly whilst being closed down. That's the kind of pass that separates the top teams from the rest in my view (something De Bruyne does exceptionally well).

Great day, brilliant performance - just need to make sure we keep it going against Brighton. I'm pleased we're not playing Chris Hughton's Brighton that's for sure.
70090465f6d59f63ed0ff38b4933a0d0.jpg

Fantastic 3rd goal today.

Terrific run by Jota to create the chance and what a finish by Jiminez...followed by the worst knee slide ever ;)

Oh and the turning point in the match was undoubtedly Alli's header going wide. If that had gone in, I'm pretty sure we'd have lost. We then equalised shortly afterwards.

I've also now seen just how badly Aurier mugged off Vinagre for Spurs' second. Young Rúben needs to go and watch a compilation of Jonny's defending on repeat.

I'd have backed Rui to save Alli's effort even if it was on target

Brilliant third goal for you. Ripped the back out of them completely.

Enjoying reading the verdicts and look forward to watching the game hack as I saw about half an hour of it overall

Fantastic result!!

Back