• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The CHRISTMAS Thread

Back to Turkey this year after we had steak last year for something different. I'd prefer pork personally but it wasn't my choice and I'm not cooking it! I'm just grateful for a nice roast dinner.

Also just been and done some last minute shopping including some Thorntons cherry liqueurs, jellied fruits and a nice Christmas chocolates selection. All for £12 which was a nice bargain. (3 for 2 offer, plus the lady in there also gave me a £5 off receipt which was very nice of her).

Can't wait to smash those liqueurs. I love anything cherry flavoured.

Beef bourguignon with garlic and bay mashwith a bottle of malbec tonight. Yes please.

Normally avoid going out this close to Christmas but Dogs have been in for a groom. So had to suffer the Orbital in Cannock. Getting on and off the car park is a nightmare but the shops not that busy. Stocked up on snacks for tomorrow evening and the dogs smell lovely so not a bad day.

Everything got present, food and drink wise ( although had to pop out for a bottle of Port yesterday as I had finished the other off) All organised, now to enjoy the most wonderful time of the year :) . No cooking for me until December 27th :)
I always buy my cousin (our host for Christmas meal) a nice bottle of white wine, and also my aunt and uncle a bottle of red. I don't drink the stuff myself but always try and look online for something nice for them.

My uncle usually brings a bottle of port with him which I don't mind a snifter of!

This year I saw a bottle of New Zealand McGuigan Family Release Chardonnay on Sunday Brunch which they all seemed to love so bought my cousin that. Plus a bottle of Italian Primitivo De Manduria red from Waitrose which is very highly reviewed on there.

Morrisons in Pendeford looked fookin horrendous earlier. No space on the car park at all that I could see. Fuck that. I have a few little things to get (I need flour and eggs for the yorkies for a start) and I will probably head to the little Tesco on Claregate and then dive into an offy for the ESSENTIAL supplies.

Back to Turkey this year after we had steak last year for something different. I'd prefer pork personally but it wasn't my choice and I'm not cooking it! I'm just grateful for a nice roast dinner.

Also just been and done some last minute shopping including some Thorntons cherry liqueurs, jellied fruits and a nice Christmas chocolates selection. All for £12 which was a nice bargain. (3 for 2 offer, plus the lady in there also gave me a £5 off receipt which was very nice of her).

Can't wait to smash those liqueurs. I love anything cherry flavoured.

Same here, love anything cherry.

Bought some mini Italian desserts from Costco. They look bloody lovely. 24 in a tray. Each mini dessert comes in a little glass ,shaped dish. Tiramisu, Pistachio,Raspberry,and Triple Chocolate. Each one is only about 2 spoonfuls, but enough after a big dinner. Can't wait to try them.

Went to Wombourne Sainsbury's earlier for a couple of last minute additions to the Christmas Day snack-a-thon selection and whilst the shop was okay, the carpark was a complete mess, mainly because so many people have no idea how to park accurately in a reasonable time. People panicking about getting into the first spot they can whilst closer to the shop there were loads of free spaces.

Anyway, it's Christmas Eve Eve and I'm not hungry at tea time...witchcraft, I reckon.

Didn't need to go and get anything today, though in any event have 3 supermarkets within easy walking distance (can go either very cheap, not quite as cheap & expensive - depends whether I go to Lidls, Asda or Waitrose)

No way was the car coming off the drive today

Been on the santa steam special on Severn Valley Railway today. Top day out, kids (and possibly adults) loved the steam train. Well worth the trip out.

You cannot beat a bit of live steam. Although I may be a bit biased with my love of railway modelling.

Done loads of Santa specials when our kids were younger, now champing at the bit to take the grandkids, they're all good, Severn Valley is very commercalised but still worthwhile, my favourite used to be the Welshpool/Llanfair one, Llangollen is also good

My favourite is the Taunton to Minehead one (though not Minehead itself). TBF I'm easily pleased with steam trains.

You cannot beat a bit of live steam. Although I may be a bit biased with my love of railway modelling.

OMG!

I have a 009 guage layout in my spare room for space! Modelled using replicas of those used on the welshpool narrow guage railway.
Footplate rides at Llangollen, East Lancashire, York, bluebell railway in Sussex,
Steam days whenever I can do them, including the trip to Swanage from London
Steam train drivers course Amberely steam museum, loved that! Firing the engine at the start of the day was a highlight!

I don't have a layout at the moment. I have wanted to do one for a VERY long time, but ship modelling took a lot of time.

I have two dream layouts

One is Faringdon branch in GWR days. My kids were born when I lived in that town and the old station building is still there. I would love to build that in N Gauge in the garage. It would be very picturesque.

The other is to do "Wolverhampton High and Low" from about 1946. I would need a LOT bigger house to do that, but having part of the layout with GWR Kings passing the Western, and the other with LMS Coronation and Princess Royals going above it would be utterly incredible.

I don't have a layout at the moment. I have wanted to do one for a VERY long time, but ship modelling took a lot of time.

I have two dream layouts

One is Faringdon branch in GWR days. My kids were born when I lived in that town and the old station building is still there. I would love to build that in N Gauge in the garage. It would be very picturesque.

The other is to do "Wolverhampton High and Low" from about 1946. I would need a LOT bigger house to do that, but having part of the layout with GWR Kings passing the Western, and the other with LMS Coronation and Princess Royals going above it would be utterly incredible.

Started off with 00 guage in a 12 foot she about ten years ago. Then moved on to n guage but found the shed to be too cold for the layouts so sold up and went 009 to use the best of both worlds. Great fun.

I really should put the cork in this wine :happy:

Back