• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Film Thread

I can't see me rushing to watch that one I'm afraid.
It’s mainly a Western but the last half an hour just goes mad. Some of the characters are class and there are some really funny bits in it as well.

Went to see Napoleon this afternoon. Wore a funny hat, liked food, wars and shagging like an animal in an Attenborough doc. 2hrs and 40 mins summed up. It's a film that tries to cover so much, that it doesn't really do anything justice other than probably his relationship with Josephine. Best bit is nobody is trying to do accents, they just speak in their own voice, then Archie the Inventor from Balamory pops up and does comedy German / Austrian.
I watched Napoleon last night, pretty average movie. Historical and battle scene inaccuracies aside, I thought Phoenix looked wooden and mainly mumbled in a lot of the dialogue. Ridley Scott's ego trip mainly focused on Napoleon's relationship with Josephine. The battle scenes are typically grandiose although not always accurate.

BTW Ridley there was a substational presence of Dutch and German (Hanover, Brunswick and Nassau) forces at Waterloo, not just English and Prussians.

Last edited:
Rewatched Prometheus and Covenant last night and today and enjoyed them miles more than the first time round when they first came out. I might do Alien and Aliens after the football.

Fair play to you. I laughed so much watching Prometheus in the cinema, I don't think I could sit through it again.

I absolutely hated it first time round, only really watched it again as I couldn’t remember anything about it. I actually thought it was OK this time. Covenant is much better though. None are a patch on Alien or Aliens though.

The remake of Roadhouse on Prime, seriously do not bother. It’s fucking awful. Whoever decided to cast Conor McGregor in any role whatsoever must have been on some serious Class A, he was worse than “it’s that bad it’s good”. Two hours of my life I’ll never get back.

Yep, the Road House remake is dogshit.
Maverick is quite enjoyable though.

Yes, I fell into the Roadhouse remake trap on Friday. It's fucking grim.

Two films watched over the last week which - in very different ways - were incredible.

Zone of Interest - so very harrowing without showing a single second of violence. I don't know how they manage to do this, but by the end, your ears are doing more work than your eyes. The cinematography with the juxtaposition of idyllic home life with the hell of the camp on the other side of the world really is amazing.

Dune Part 2 - I'd never read/seen anything of the Dune series before watching the first part. Didn't know a thing about it. I enjoyed Part 1 but the sequel is much better. Absolutely stunning, the time flew by. It's just an epic film.

Thoroughly recommend both of these.

If you liked Zone Of Interest then you'd probably like The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas, where the commandant's son makes friends with a boy the same age as him in the concentration camp, by sneaking off to the edge of the fence. Fairly old film now but still on Netflix. You've probably already seen it I bet.

If you liked Zone Of Interest then you'd probably like The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas, where the commandant's son makes friends with a boy the same age as him in the concentration camp, by sneaking off to the edge of the fence. Fairly old film now but still on Netflix. You've probably already seen it I bet.
Well if you haven't Bear's told you 95% of the plot...

Yeah, saw it years ago - it's horrible. A very very different kind of film as well!

Add Rabbit-Proof Fence to your "watch kids suffer" list. 2002 Aussie film, no idea how I ended up watching it, but it left a mark for certain.

Add Rabbit-Proof Fence to your "watch kids suffer" list. 2002 Aussie film, no idea how I ended up watching it, but it left a mark for certain.
I remember watching this - with Kenneth Branagh, yes?

Back