• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2017/18 - everything not Wolves

Celtic shut down the Green Brigade for the next two games after flares at last seasons game vs Hearts & a paramilitary banner vs Linfield.

The behaviour of that section of supporters has been disgraceful for years. Celtic should have took action before now. Instead they ignored it and hoped it would go away.

Have you ever been to Celtic Park (or Parkhead) Frank?

Do you know much about the club, the Green Brigade or the history of Celtic?

Have you ever been to Celtic Park (or Parkhead) Frank?

Do you know much about the club, the Green Brigade or the history of Celtic?

Sadly the original reason for setting up the Green Brigade was hijacked by the so called Ultras. I cannot see how Celtic can resolve the situation, they have not done so for years, but other than closing that area completely I am not sure what can be done.

Utter fucking drivel, once again.

Up until the Linfield game the GB have been anti-racist, anti-facist and anti-sectarian. The banner against Linfield was in poor taste, goes against everything they've previously stood for and they completely deserve the 2 game ban for it but to say that it's a problem that has been going on for years is ignorant bullshit.

Utter fucking drivel, once again.

Up until the Linfield game the GB have been anti-racist, anti-facist and anti-sectarian. The banner against Linfield was in poor taste, goes against everything they've previously stood for and they completely deserve the 2 game ban for it but to say that it's a problem that has been going on for years is ignorant bullshit.

I think you will find that you are incorrect:

As long ago as 2010, the Green Brigade unfurled two banners with the words "Your deeds would shame all the devils in Hell. Ireland, Iraq, Afghanistan. No bloodstained poppy on our Hoops." This protest was against the placing of the remembrance poppy on Celtic's shirt for 11 November 2010 match against St Mirren.

What part of that is racist, facist or sectarian?

It really is matching with the albion player refusing to wear the poppy.

Which I view, in both cases, as personal choice and absolutely fair enough. Ireland was neutral in the first world war effectively, so the poppy is (at best) and irrelevant symbol to them, and the likes of the green brigade who associate with the Irish.

What part of that is racist, facist or sectarian?

Will this help:

The Green Brigade used a football stadium to cite civilian deaths caused by the British Army in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as Bloody Sunday, while mentioning that 14 unarmed civilians were murdered in Derry in 1972 by the Paratroop Regiment".

The Glasgow Herald reported that in the weeks leading up to the incident, the Green Brigade had stepped up pro-IRA chants Celtic has been investigated by UEFA in the past for alleged sectarian behaviour, including pro-IRA chants.

Originally FIFA were going to hold a World Cup in $#@!ing Qatar in the $#@!ing summer. It's 33 degrees in Doha right now. It's 1am over there. That's your mark for how much they care about logistics.

It's still going to be a disaster even now they've moved the calendar, but that's another argument.

The sensible and fair thing would be to have a standardised winter break across the northern hemisphere - that way countries in the southern hemisphere get a fair shot at hosting tournaments (including the World Cup) instead of Europe's calendar always calling the shots.

But of course the idea of a winter world cup is now indelibly linked with corruption because of Qatar, so no way would it have support from fans.

So, without me being facetious or difficult, how is that different to the Kop holding up Justice for the 96?

They were unarmed citizens killed unlawfully, just like those killed on bloody Sunday.

Will this help:

The Green Brigade used a football stadium to cite civilian deaths caused by the British Army in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as Bloody Sunday, while mentioning that 14 unarmed civilians were murdered in Derry in 1972 by the Paratroop Regiment".

The Glasgow Herald reported that in the weeks leading up to the incident, the Green Brigade had stepped up pro-IRA chants Celtic has been investigated by UEFA in the past for alleged sectarian behaviour, including pro-IRA chants.

And one further point - showing something else that a group did, that was sectarian, doesn't make the first thing you are referring to that as done by the same group, suddenly sectarian

To be utterly clear there is nothing sectarian about an Irish person or those of Irish extraction not supporting the poppy.

The sensible and fair thing would be to have a standardised winter break across the northern hemisphere - that way countries in the southern hemisphere get a fair shot at hosting tournaments (including the World Cup) instead of Europe's calendar always calling the shots.

But of course the idea of a winter world cup is now indelibly linked with corruption because of Qatar, so no way would it have support from fans.

That’s far too good and simple an idea for FIFA. As soon as the revenue available to FIFA from the South increases I’m sure they will change their mind.

I don't want a bloody winter break AT ALL.

Christmas football is a huge part of our game.

So, without me being facetious or difficult, how is that different to the Kop holding up Justice for the 96?

They were unarmed citizens killed unlawfully, just like those killed on bloody Sunday.

Those who tragically died at Hillsborough went to watch a football match. The Green Brigade bring up things from the past unrelated to football.

As part of my studies into the first world war, I h am active on a few internet sites, and it is amazing how often the Green Brigade are mentioned. They often cite James Connolly as their hero, yet he died 101 years ago. Their agenda has little to do with football.

Tbh I’d much rather watch football in the warmth. I get the traditional side of Xmas football, but it’s often miserable and cold. August games are always ace.

Will this help:

Not particularly.

Nationalism ≠ sectarianism. The Green Brigade have never been investigated for sectarian behaviour.

You clearly have a very poor grasp of this. Have fun googling some more answers though.

Edit: Ninja'd by Paddy.

And one further point - showing something else that a group did, that was sectarian, doesn't make the first thing you are referring to that as done by the same group, suddenly sectarian

To be utterly clear there is nothing sectarian about an Irish person or those of Irish extraction not supporting the poppy.

When have I suggested that it is sectarian if Irish people choose not to support the wearing of the poppy? That is their choice. My comments were directed at Lycan, who suggested that the Green Brigade were not Sectarian, when they clearly are.

Not particularly.

Nationalism ≠ sectarianism. The Green Brigade have never been investigated for sectarian behaviour.

You clearly have a very poor grasp of this. Have fun googling some more answers though.

Edit: Ninja'd by Paddy.

I do not need google to help me on this particular subject. I will try this from a different angle.

You say the Green Brigade have never been investigated. Is that by the Celtic Football Club or the Football Authorities?

The reason I ask is because UEFA have had cause to ask Celtic to explain the behaviour of a certain section of their fans. And those fans were the Green Brigade.

I do not need google to help me on this particular subject. I will try this from a different angle.

You say the Green Brigade have never been investigated. Is that by the Celtic Football Club or the Football Authorities?

The reason I ask is because UEFA have had cause to ask Celtic to explain the behaviour of a certain section of their fans. And those fans were the Green Brigade.

No they haven't. They've never been investigated by anyone for sectarian behaviour. Celtic might've been but the Green Brigade haven't.

I'm done here. No point arguing any further with this pathetic troll. Back on ignore you go.

No they haven't. They've never been investigated by anyone for sectarian behaviour. Celtic might've been but the Green Brigade haven't.

I'm done here. No point arguing any further with this pathetic troll. Back on ignore you go.

As you wish,but you are not really addressing my point. Where have I been trolling, I have merely tried to explain the problems Celtic have with this particular section of fans. I thought we were discussing it, but as usual on here the insults start when the argument is lost.

I will readily admit to not being as clever as most on here, but during my studies into the first world war I learnt a little about the origins of the troubles in Ireland, and the subsequent effects.

I would also point out that when Celtic have been investigated it has been because of the behaviour of the Green Brigade:

Celtic made moves to disband the Green Brigade section at Parkhead after trouble at a match against Motherwell at Fir Park on 9 December 2013, where fans damaged the stadium seating and threw flares onto the pitch, causing around £10,000 worth of damage. Celtic had already issued a warning to the group after safety breaches in August 2013, and following the incident at Fir Park, Celtic issued "precautionary" suspensions to 128 supporters. 250 season-ticket holders in the group's adopted section of the Celtic Park, section 111, were moved to other parts of the ground, or given the option of a refund for the rest of the season.

In December 2013 UEFA issued the club with a £42,000 fine as a result of a banner unveiled by the Green Brigade at a Champions League match against AC Milan which displayed a political message (UEFA rules prohibit the display of banners of a political or ideological nature). The banner attracted further controversy for the use of the image of IRA hunger striker Bobby Sands.

So instead of being abusive to me, kindly give your reasons for your defence of the Green Brigade.

Back