• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is true I think, but are we going to replace them. The feeling you got from Lopetegui is that he is not sure we are...... as in plan B. And if we are going to, we are getting extremely close to the season kick off now meaning he has little time to get a settled team sorted.
Jonny played 0 minutes after Leeds at home, Raul barely played again after that one, Podence started 8 games under Lopetegui (4 of them in his first 3 weeks here) and Ait-Nouri's last start was in mid-February. I don't care about losing these players, they don't play.

I'd rather get relegated playing a bunch of kids and having shifted a lot of these players on than keep them and go down with most of the same faces that polluted my mental health last season.

All of it.

Bet you he's in charge at Old Trafford in three weeks.

He will be.

Also - head above the parapet time - he’s a more than good enough manager to get a tune out of the players at his disposal*

*Not for one second saying we don’t need incomings. We do. But the squad isn’t exactly made up of Championship fodder.

So you're confident with what we have currently, taking into account suspensions and injuries, we'll be fine? All of the players you've mentioned there (however lightly used) had Premier League experience and if he became really desperate he would have thrown them in. Then we take into consideration, Moutinho (who was fading), Neves, Traore and Collins (latter two no real big miss in my opinion but both with PL experience) leaving. You look past our first 11 now and it's a worry, surely?

So you're confident with what we have currently, taking into account suspensions and injuries, we'll be fine? All of the players you've mentioned there (however lightly used) had Premier League experience and if he became really desperate he would have thrown them in. Then we take into consideration, Moutinho (who was fading), Neves, Traore and Collins (latter two no real big miss in my opinion but both with PL experience) leaving. You look past our first 11 now and it's a worry, surely?
Looking past our first 11 was already a worry before we got rid of some of these guys.

We needed new players regardless, getting rid of some who are patently not up to this level is unrelated to that. Two different goals that both needed achieving.

Nope. I wouldn't be that complacent.

But I don't want any of them here "just in case" because what is this "in case"? Jonny and Raul are sadly done, Podence is 1 in 6 for acceptable performances at best and the manager doesn't seem to want Ait-Nouri.

I'm fine with us getting rid of say, 10 players (we've already chucked six first teamers from last season if we're counting Raul, as it seems he's all but gone) and bringing 4 or 5 in. We don't need the kind of depth we had post-January last season, we had first team players sitting around doing nothing all the time.

Fosun shafted Nuno, the best manager we've had for about 40 years.
Now they're doing the same to Lop.
What are Fosuns ambitions for Wolves, because they have gone very quiet.
If they have lost interest then put us up for sale and bugger off.

We are a weaker team than we were last year, so it`s a worry.
Take Neves out of the equation as he was always leaving.

Literally nobody else that we've let go made a positive impact on the pitch.

Looking past our first 11 was already a worry before we got rid of some of these guys.

We needed new players regardless, getting rid of some who are patently not up to this level is unrelated to that. Two different goals that both needed achieving.
I think that's the thing though. I am not massively confident from what has been said there that we will actually get those new faces in. As mentioned previously, I was pretty relaxed by who has gone, and the new proposed approach to recruitment, as let's be honest when we have spent big recently it hasn't been a complete success. However now I am actually a little bit concerned.

Nope. I wouldn't be that complacent.

But I don't want any of them here "just in case" because what is this "in case"? Jonny and Raul are sadly done, Podence is 1 in 6 for acceptable performances at best and the manager doesn't seem to want Ait-Nouri.

I'm fine with us getting rid of say, 10 players (we've already chucked six first teamers from last season if we're counting Raul, as it seems he's all but gone) and bringing 4 or 5 in. We don't need the kind of depth we had post-January last season, we had first team players sitting around doing nothing all the time.
I totally agree, however I don't have complete confidence now we will get the 4 or 5 in that we need

I think that's the thing though. I am not massively confident from what has been said there that we will actually get those new faces in. As mentioned previously, I was pretty relaxed by who has gone, and the new proposed approach to recruitment, as let's be honest when we have spent big recently it hasn't been a complete success. However now I am actually a little bit concerned.
That's your right, for sure.

Maybe I've shut myself off to it too much, but if you gave me the choice, I'd so much rather play Chem Campbell next season than Daniel Podence, regardless of the outcome.

It's not beyond the realms for us to replace Kilman with say, Bassey*, not really be that much worse off defensively and be in a better position financially / FFP.

*Other CBs are available for the purposes of this illustration

This is exactly my point. We've fallen into "if you rate Kilman, you're stupid" territory.

The "take 15m for Max" argument falls apart the second you consider that someone high up at the club may actually think Kilman is a legitimate asset. If you start at "Kilman is a good player", then standing firm on his value doesn't look so ridiculous.

It's not a binary.
We’ve been offered double £15m so not sure why you’re even mentioning it? If money is really tight we should be selling Kilman and bringing in a £15m replacement and using the other £15m to bring in players we need in other positions.

That's your right, for sure.

Maybe I've shut myself off to it too much, but if you gave me the choice, I'd so much rather play Chem Campbell next season than Daniel Podence, regardless of the outcome.
And that's definitely your right. But to what end, if we didn't replace some of those players and played the likes of Campbell I for one would think it would spell relegation, and if not, a season of massive struggle. That much is plain to see

Doesn't really tell us anything we didn't know already for me, does draw attention away from those scandalous ticket price rises though.

At least it puts the spotlight on FOSUN and charlatan Shi. Some see it as a bit tacky doing an interview and not keeping it in house. Sweet talked into a relationship with promises of being kind and thoughtful, then once the deal is sealed treat them like shit.

And that's definitely your right. But to what end, if we didn't replace some of those players and played the likes of Campbell I for one would think it would spell relegation, and if not a season of massive struggle that much is plain to see
I wouldn't put £10 on us finishing top half at odds of 20/1.

We probably won't go down though and Fosun are happy enough with that kind of holding pattern while we mend the 2020-2022 mess (all of our own making). Of course that isn't commensurate with the ticket prices and almost certainly isn't going to please the manager so I understand why people are angsty.

I'm not mad keen on it myself.

I wouldn't put £10 on us finishing top half at odds of 20/1.

We probably won't go down though and Fosun are happy enough with that kind of holding pattern while we mend the 2020-2022 mess (all of our own making). Of course that isn't commensurate with the ticket prices and almost certainly isn't going to please the manager so I understand why people are angsty.

I'm not mad keen on it myself.
At this point in time, with the players we have at the moment and the noises coming from Lopetegui, I have no confidence in us staying up. Not something I thought I would have said even last week!

Great timing as well, taking my boy to the Luton friendly, his first ever game 🫣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back