• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The January 2024 "Will we actually sign a striker or just Che Adams/Kieffer Moore" Transfer Thread

It’s an historical fan thing with every Clubs fans, there’s never enough new signings.

How long after the season ticket renewals window closes do we think the clubs puppet journalists will start with PSR stories?

Buckle in for another year of top eight prices for bottom six investment.

It’s an historical fan thing with every Clubs fans, there’s never enough new signings.
I think that's really reductive and doesn't consider the reality of the situation. The unhappiness of fans is shared by the manager, and it cost us the last fella. "Never enough" in this context is 1 development squad player

Right, just so I know how angry to get at the close of the next transfer window...

Essentially the transfer part of the PSR has now closed for this period and new signings will be effective from the 1st July.

With the profit we made on that side in this period, where does that leave us? 2 years with debt and 1 with a shiny profit to balance out that out. So even if we didn't sell a single player this summer it would leave us with room to spend and not fuck around chasing on the uber cheap and being surprised when they don't happen?

Obviously I am ignoring what the club may choose to do and where the wheel stops on the next spin to decide what Jeff's next move is. Just looking for a "we should be able to do this"

The rules are going to change anyway.

We should have way more headroom, at least there isn't any material reason why we shouldn't. Plus Neto will go for a lot of money.

Our accounts for 31st May 2023 will show a ridiculous loss and the line will be that we can't allow that to happen again. Sales since the end of May will have the excuse that we had to balance the books, pay for the January 23 spending and then getting rid of Loppers and his crew. Spending going forward will be on a sustainable level, supporters will need to get used to that (look at Newcastle/Everton/Villa/Forest and their restrictions) and also prepare for another increase in Season Tickets for 2024/25.

Whether FFP is an issue or not they will always throw that line out there as an excuse anyway. I wouldn't expect a big splash in the market, we will most likely sell Neto and spend some but not all of that.

Whether FFP is an issue or not they will always throw that line out there as an excuse anyway. I wouldn't expect a big splash in the market, we will most likely sell Neto and spend some but not all of that.
Our big splashes (in terms of spend) have largely sucked.

The interesting part of the accounts will be which year did we book Neves in, because if we lost £60m odd with a £50m straight profit drop in there, something very strange has gone on. If we didn't and it's in for this season we've got shit loads of headroom even by the current rules.

It's not been about FFP/PSR since that sale anyway, with cashflow / liquidity being the problem those won't really be relevant to what we do our don't spend

I don't know what you're saying?
That the idea of a big splash is often better than the reality.

We don’t need splashy signings, we need good ones. And our recent record with the former is much worse than the latter.

That the idea of a big splash is often better than the reality.

We don’t need splashy signings, we need good ones.

You need to invest heavily in players at this level, you can 100% find bargains but over a bigger sample size, if you keep operating a policy of selling your best players and replacing them with "bargains" you get relegated.

The interesting part of the accounts will be which year did we book Neves in, because if we lost £60m odd with a £50m straight profit drop in there, something very strange has gone on. If we didn't and it's in for this season we've got shit loads of headroom even by the current rules.

It's not been about FFP/PSR since that sale anyway, with cashflow / liquidity being the problem those won't really be relevant to what we do our don't spend
Accounting is to 31st May, FFP/PSR to the end of June. The Neves sale can't be booked into the 31.05.23 figures but can be noted as a post balance sheet event.

You need to invest heavily in players at this level, you can 100% find bargains but over a bigger sample size, if you keep operating a policy of selling your best players and replacing them with "bargains" you get relegated.
I’m not convinced that clubs our size have many other options.

Making a profit on Nunes and Collins makes our top 10 signings a different judgement financially than on the pitch

Cunha - jury out, not as a player just on the value, definitely getting there though
Nunes - miss, but we made a profit
Fabio - Disaster
Raul - Spectacular hit for 2 seasons, we know the rest
Guedes - Disaster
Semedo - Solid enough starter, not lived up to his price, although that was never as high as reported given some of the ambitious add ons
Collins - As Nunes
Jonny - As Raul
Traore - Opinions will vary, all in all we probably got about our moneys worth or thereabouts. Mishandled recouping some of it
Podence - As Traore, but an arse

Back