• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Live Match Discussion Thread: 2019/2020

Off the top of my head I can’t think of a single decision which has stopped a team being robbed from a howler whereas there’s been plenty of bullshit decisions given/ not given. If Haller getting clattered isn’t getting overturned then I don’t know what is

Apparently Newcastle equaliser had a handball leading upto the goal, not seen it yet.

Just watched the highlights of the Villa game for another look at Grealish’s “penalty” and it’s such a blatant dive to the point he’s kicked the Palace defender over. Good call by the ref to makes examples of cheats like him. He should be no where near the England squad... also top defending by Englands Tyrone mings :icon_lol:

Its the high bar rule they’ve bought in ie clear and obvious error unless it’s offside or handball in direct build up to a goal.
The system is all over the place and it doesn’t make everything fair.
I’d love to know who was the buffoons looking at the Tielemans tackle today.
Plus the Halle penalty shout.

Just watched the highlights of the Villa game for another look at Grealish’s “penalty” and it’s such a blatant dive to the point he’s kicked the Palace defender over. Good call by the ref to makes examples of cheats like him. He should be no where near the England squad... also top defending by Englands Tyrone mings :icon_lol:

It's shit refereeing. A dive, if it is one, doesn't have to end in a stoppage of play. You play the advantage then take the action.

It's shit refereeing. A dive, if it is one, doesn't have to end in a stoppage of play. You play the advantage then take the action.

But if it’s deemed deliberate simulation then a free kick is awarded the other way so anything afterwards becomes irrelevant.

But if VAR is overturning a deliberate and obvious mistake then it he goal would be given because although it’s a dive it’s not clear and obvious mistake, as wasn’t Pogba’s.

The Grealish one is weird. Whether it's a dive or a foul is hard to decipher from the video I've seen but either way it's irrelevant to them scoring. Grealish actively plays the ball out wide before going down and they score from there, there's no advantage from a potential dive or disadvantage from a potential foul.

You can see why fans got so upset, it had literally no bearing on the ball ending up in the net.

But if VAR is overturning a deliberate and obvious mistake then it he goal would be given because although it’s a dive it’s not clear and obvious mistake, as wasn’t Pogba’s.
It's not though for these reasons
If Friend blows before the goal, which I assume he did then there isn't anything VAR could do. Can't overrule a yellow, can't give the goal, can't give a free kick from the Zaha challenge. All it could do is give a penalty which I don't think it is from that angle. He's stumbling before he gets to Cahill

Yeah, but that’s not what we are talking about. We are talking about letting them score the goal and then deciding whether it was a dive or not.

It's shit refereeing tbf, should have let play go on and then either book Grealish or give the pen if he misses
Which is what I said at the time (To Penk). However VAR aren't reviewing a dive post a goal.

Why though? You are wrong.

The referee made a subjective decision that it was a dive, and therefore he blew to stop play because he (in his mind) saw what he saw and was satisfied it was an infringement. Therefore free kick to Palace and the play doesn't need to continue. And it certainly isn't a circumstance where VAR is supposed to get involved.

Why though? You are wrong.

The referee made a subjective decision that it was a dive, and therefore he blew to stop play because he (in his mind) saw what he saw and was satisfied it was an infringement. Therefore free kick to Palace and the play doesn't need to continue. And it certainly isn't a circumstance where VAR is supposed to get involved.
This aimed at me?

Yes. It is a direct to your post about let the play go and then either book Grealish or give a pen if the shot is missed. That is just wrong under the laws of the game. The dive is foul play and if the referee sees it that is the end of the play as there is no advantage to the side wronged against (in the mind of the referee) if play were allowed to continue.

The moment he decides it is a dive then that's it.

(Not that I am saying in any way that it was or wasn't a dive. My view is that it was, but your mileage may vary)

I disagree. Whether it is or isn't a dive and I've only seen an inconclusive Twitter clip so don't have an opinion either way isn't relevant once the ball runs through to Lansbury. The ref should let play flow and then take any action afterwards if he feels Grealish has dived

Which is how I think it should work, but it doesn’t because it can only overrule ‘clear and obvious’ mistakes.

If the goal was given then the dive isn’t clear and obvious, so would have stood.

No. Because ANY result of playing advantage is to the detriment of Palace, which is the side he believes has been transgressed against by the dive, so advantage cannot come into play. He is entirely correct to stop play.

That doesn't mean he is correct to interpret what he saw as a dive, which is subjective.

Back