• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The New Board Structure

You would think but some of the Mongs on the Mix are still banging on about Morgan. I imagine they'll have a big empty space in their lives now both have gone.

It won't make a difference. They're still banging on about fucking Solbakken.

This really does make me wonder just how good a working relationship Jackett and Thelwell had. Thelwell is the only high profile survivor of the 'Fosun Cull' so there must be something he's done right? I've been very critical of our recruitment over the past few years - hopefully a bigger budget and a new team around him might ensure better success in the transfer market. But why have we got so many signings wrong? Was it Jackett not wanting Thelwell recommendations? Vice versa? Interference from above? Just seems odd that he's still here.

And don't forget that we now also have Mendes 'assisting' with player recruitment as well!

This really does make me wonder just how good a working relationship Jackett and Thelwell had. Thelwell is the only high profile survivor of the 'Fosun Cull' so there must be something he's done right? I've been very critical of our recruitment over the past few years - hopefully a bigger budget and a new team around him might ensure better success in the transfer market. But why have we got so many signings wrong? Was it Jackett not wanting Thelwell recommendations? Vice versa? Interference from above? Just seems odd that he's still here.

And don't forget that we now also have Mendes 'assisting' with player recruitment as well!

It makes me wonder what image Thelwell has for the club too. He has always said the right things - football ethos/style has to come from academy up, be embedded in the club and so on. He has always spoken of wanting a Wolves that was lightyears ahead of what we've had the past couple of seasons.

I've struggled with Thelwell being at the club. Not least because he wrote a book on coaching the European 3-5-2.

Yeah, I have a problem with the 3-5-2 thing. Maybe that's like the bad Bowie albums and we pretend they never happened.

I lost it with Ken when he went 3-5-2 at Brizzle last season.

If this was Shi's plan all along (to split the post in two) I can see why Moxey didn't have any interest in sticking around.

I posted this a short while ago:
I think Dicko was also one of Thelwells signings (saunders tried playing him as a winger IIRC?), and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Wallace and possibly Zyro are also Thelwell inspired signings.

Gut instinct says la Parra was possibly also a Thelwell signing.

Don't know why, but I feel the weaker signings (Coady, Clarke) were KJ decisions.
Nothing huge in there, but gut instinct tells me most of the negative signings (Holt, Clarke, Sagbo) were KJ signings. I suspect jacobs and similar younger players who may have moved on were Thelwell rather than KJ.

Think you're right Lemon. We scouted Zyro and Wallace for a long time, suggesting they were Thelwell's handy work. Dicko's first stint here precedes Jackett too.

I posted this a short while ago:

Nothing huge in there, but gut instinct tells me most of the negative signings (Holt, Clarke, Sagbo) were KJ signings. I suspect jacobs and similar younger players who may have moved on were Thelwell rather than KJ.

I don't think you're wrong there LJ. Jackett has always struggled recruiting players above Lg1, that's just his level and he's very good at it. But like Mick in the Prem Jackett reverted to crap tactics and eventually defensive hoofball and that comes from recruiting the wrong players for the wrong system.

Lets hope for a bit of pass and move (it's the molineux groove) eh?

Where's me coat?

Another point - if Thelwell doesn't deliver, I've got a feeling that Jeff is a ruthless bitch and won't hesitate to move him on.

If this was Shi's plan all along (to split the post in two) I can see why Moxey didn't have any interest in sticking around.

I've no problem with splitting the responsibilities in two, it makes a large degree of sense. I do have a concern that the roles have been given to who they believe to be the best qualified internal options, rather than going through a proper recruitment process. I had the same concerns when KT was moved up from academy boss. Yes, it may well be a role that fits our club, and a model that can work - but the model is only as good as the people in it. If a top restaurant lost its head chef, they wouldn't just leave it all to the sous chef and the cake monkey.

I've no problem with splitting the responsibilities in two, it makes a large degree of sense. I do have a concern that the roles have been given to who they believe to be the best qualified internal options, rather than going through a proper recruitment process. I had the same concerns when KT was moved up from academy boss. Yes, it may well be a role that fits our club, and a model that can work - but the model is only as good as the people in it. If a top restaurant lost its head chef, they wouldn't just leave it all to the sous chef and the cake monkey.

Of course Del. Can appreciate that completely. I wonder if some of it might be to not shake up the club more than it already has been shook up, though?

Of course Del. Can appreciate that completely. I wonder if some of it might be to not shake up the club more than it already has been shook up, though?

I think that's the ideal time to make the change tbh. If we're going to restructure, do it properly. It's a little 'Mick to TC' in reality, except without even the attempt to look outside.

As an aside: Moxey's leaving video on Wolves Player (and YouTube) is pretty insightful. He talks about when he had to persuade SJH to invest in the training facilities - costing £3m - and comparing it to signing a striker for the same price who could bust his leg and be out of action. Quite poignant when put like that.

Jez did OK for us. He was vastly overpaid at times but none of us would turn the money down if it were offered. He just only really has one way of operating and it hamstrings serious ambition.

I suspect Norwich are shortly to make some unpopular decisions and they've hired the expert in that field.

Sounded like Jez & Mikey Burrows were both getting a bit choked up towards the end of that video.

Back