• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The New Board Structure

Poorly delivered but valid point.

No it really isn't. It's rubbish and I think more fans need to wrap their head around the fact money is now no object and players talent and desire to play in a lower league is. It is only these fans that think buying quality players is a bad idea. Their own imagination and sheer ignorance is limiting their ability to think bigger than we have been for the last 15 years.

Poorly delivered but valid point.

We have a squad full of "Championship quality" footballers but it is the foreign QUALITY that has brought the improvement.

One of the big reasons I didn't want Steve Bruce (other than his fiction writing abilities) was his tendency to stock teams at this level with workmanlike players that 'fit' the division...then the whole lot needs ripping up a year later if you are successful as next to none of the existing squad are fit for purpose for anything other than a grim relegation battle.

I wouldn't be opposed to one or two 'proven' Championship players providing they fit into how we want to play, have the right attitude and ideally you'd hope they could make the step up if we had the right players around them. The notion that we need an entire team of such players is something I don't quite get. How far did signing Bradley Johnson and Tom Ince get Derby last season? They couldn't even get in the team in the last few months. Over £10m and about £60k a week for the pair, bargain.

I'm not especially envious of Villa's signings so far, they're a strange example to use if we're looking at how we should be focusing our dealings. Elphick looks decent but is very limited, McCormack cost silly money, Tshibola is bang average, Chester is ok but wildly overpriced, the keeper looks rubbish and while Jedinak was quality for a long time for Palace he's surely on the way down and we've signed Prince who must have a much higher ceiling.

I'd also like to know how Journos and "itks" linking us to players (it's what they do) is making "wolves look silly"?

We aren't peddling the stories so it is ridiculous to say that we are making Wolves a laughing stock...

One of the big reasons I didn't want Steve Bruce (other than his fiction writing abilities) was his tendency to stock teams at this level with workmanlike players that 'fit' the division...then the whole lot needs ripping up a year later if you are successful as next to none of the existing squad are fit for purpose for anything other than a grim relegation battle.

I wouldn't be opposed to one or two 'proven' Championship players providing they fit into how we want to play, have the right attitude and ideally you'd hope they could make the step up if we had the right players around them. The notion that we need an entire team of such players is something I don't quite get. How far did signing Bradley Johnson and Tom Ince get Derby last season? They couldn't even get in the team in the last few months. Over £10m and about £60k a week for the pair, bargain.

I'm not especially envious of Villa's signings so far, they're a strange example to use if we're looking at how we should be focusing our dealings. Elphick looks decent but is very limited, McCormack cost silly money, Tshibola is bang average, Chester is ok but wildly overpriced, the keeper looks rubbish and while Jedinak was quality for a long time for Palace he's surely on the way down and we've signed Prince who must have a much higher ceiling.

I always like your posts, you say what I think and express it much better.

I think the hardest thing will be finding the 'Robinho' player, someone who represents the step-change in our ambition. We might have a few of these over the next few years as we progress.

No it really isn't. It's rubbish and I think more fans need to wrap their head around the fact money is now no object and players talent and desire to play in a lower league is. It is only these fans that think buying quality players is a bad idea. Their own imagination and sheer ignorance is limiting their ability to think bigger than we have been for the last 15 years.

I'd be happy signing Chris Martin and players like that. I'm worried our team is going to be full of players who don't speak the language.

We have a squad full of "Championship quality" footballers but it is the foreign QUALITY that has brought the improvement.

They aren't championship quality though? Saville Evans and Wallace had never played in the championship, Edwards always was and will be shit. Coady Henry etc. Had never turned up trees at this level. We signed championship dross rather than good players.

I'd be happy signing Chris Martin and players like that. I'm worried our team is going to be full of players who don't speak the language.

QUOTE]

I think you will find that a lot of foreign players speak perfectly good English

The only people who count in the new structure are Fosun, Mendez, and Zenga. In that order.

Bang on. Though you're being a bit harsh about Bruce's literary skillz.

These people would have preferred Frimpong to Oniangue. Says it all really. #dench

Yep. But it's one player. When the whole team struggle to communicate you've got problems.

I guess if they are all Portuguese/Brazilian/Spanish then less of an issue

Imagine if they did something really outlandish like learn a bit of English?

Not that it matters that much - Dave Edwards speaks very good English but couldn't pass water.

It's all about quality anyway. Everyone was lauding Newcastle's approach of signing French speaking players like Cabaye, Ben Arfa (when he could be arsed), Ba etc when they were up in the top six. Suddenly they buy jokers like Gouffran, Sissoko, Cabella, Thauvin, Rivière etc and signing cowardly Gallic types was never going to work. Ultimately the difference was the first group were top class players and the second group were shite.

Imagine if they did something really outlandish like learn a bit of English?

Not that it matter that much - Dave Edwards speaks very good English but couldn't pass water.

Should Have just inserted the "Instant English" CD and clicked install!

They aren't just going to learn English overnight. And it will be even more difficult if they aren't that intelligent.

Who cares what language they speak? Aguero has lived in England for years now and he can barely string a sentence together in English, doesn't stop him being an absolutely fucking brilliant footballer.

Who cares what language they speak? Aguero has lived in England for years now and he can barely string a sentence together in English, doesn't stop him being an absolutely fucking brilliant footballer.

Darren Anderton is probably the most eloquently spoken footballer I can think of and... oh. Hang on.

Back