• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

We are looking at this from different points of view. I don't put any stock in record after 5 games, the Steelers started 8-0 a few years ago but in my view were no more than average. The schedule the bills have played so far is much stronger than the Vikings but both teams are 4-1.

From what I've seen, the 3 mentioned sides are a level above the rest of the NFL and I think we'll likely see a lot more teams with losing records in the playoffs this year.
Sort of related, you have to go back to the 2006 Colts to find the last team to win the SB who were the last team to remain undefeated in the regular season. 6 sides since then have got there and lost

Nobody is miles clear as nobody has more than a 1 game lead in their division.

Of the teams that are top it's the dual threat QB's rather than high powered air attack. Bills, Eagles and Ravens all top their division.

The 49ers are there because of their defence as are the Titans and TB. And probably the running game too.

The Vikings definitely have an air attack but they're the only ones really.
The Bills have 200 more passing yards than any other team. They are a high powered passing attack. That is their offense. Allen runs, but he is pass first 99% of the time if he can. His threat of running keeps defenses honest, but make no mistake, they pass more because they can.

The Bills have 200 more passing yards than any other team. They are a high powered passing attack. That is their offense. Allen runs, but he is pass first 99% of the time if he can. His threat of running keeps defenses honest, but make no mistake, they pass more because they can.

All of the dual threat QBs seem to settle into this mould. Even Jackson who is probably the most likely to tuck it has developed into a pocket passer primarily.

All of the dual threat QBs seem to settle into this mould. Even Jackson who is probably the most likely to tuck it has developed into a pocket passer primarily.
The problem with Jackson is that he still has difficulty reading the whole field and throwing outside the hash marks. You can defensively gameplan to limit Jackson: he hasnt cracked 200 yards passing in the the last 2 games. He is not in the same class as Allen as a passer. Hurts on the other hand looks genuinely like a legit top QB.

Hurts is no doubt playing very well, but at the moment he has everything going for him. Probably the best Oline in the league to both protect him and open up the running game, 2 genuine number 1 receivers and a Top 5 tight end. How far he has come will be tested when the injuries come and he's playing with guys down the depth chart. Next week will be interesting against a genuinely top defense

I mean what you describe is some of last year, when he did at least make the playoffs.
He didn't have Brown, he's the one who has unlocked everything along with his own reading the defense before the snap which he couldn't do before. He's playing well, just want to see what adversity looks like

Thats experience and coaching the reading a D. College seems such a variable standard so not surprising he is better than people may have expected.

I get circumstances play a part but I'd not swap Hurts for Trevor Lawrence based on NFL evidence. Hurts has taken a big step this year it would seem but my point was more he still did a lot last year compared to many other QBs, people were saying they should draft a QB because of the poor playoff loss. None of the highly touted QBs from 2021 look better than Hurts and then this years Rookie class looks like its going to be another weaker one.

They weren't ever taking a QB in this years draft as they didn't believe in any. They absolutely would have traded for Wilson or Watson if their interest was reciprocated and they thought the price was right though. Wilson looks cooked, so that's a massive bullet dodged, Watson, well you know what, but like another 7 or 8 teams that didn't seem to bother them at least from a scoping perspective

He didn't have Brown, he's the one who has unlocked everything along with his own reading the defense before the snap which he couldn't do before. He's playing well, just want to see what adversity looks like
He has been helped by a schedule that must rank as one of the softest in the NFL to be fair. I like Hurts and the Eagles, but I'm not certain they are as good as their record is likely to show. They could easily finish with 13 wins and not have beaten a genuine playoff contender.

He has been helped by a schedule that must rank as one of the softest in the NFL to be fair. I like Hurts and the Eagles, but I'm not certain they are as good as their record is likely to show. They could easily finish with 13 wins and not have beaten a genuine playoff contender.
That's definitely a factor with all the you can only beat what's in front of you clichés. The Giants have improved, mainly because they are very well coached, but their lack of talent will catch up with them eventually and they and Washington shoud be weak divisional opponents, the AFC South and the NFC North are good divisions to draw. They obviously won't go 17 0, but as it stands they are favourites for every remaining game, Dallas and Green Bay being the obvious challengers to that. With everyone fit there's not a weakness in the team although I still think Gannon coaches many a game too softly, he has better players than that.

They're the best team in the NFC at the moment and I don't think it's massively close, but as we are talking about clichés January is when it counts. I still think the Bills and Chiefs are comfortably better sides and whoever from the NFC makes the SB they'd be relying on the AFC beating itself up as has happened the last couple of years

Panthers are listening to offers for Christian McCaffrey. High price tho.

You'd have to be very win now to take on that contract and injury record. Eagles have been rumoured, but I can't see it, too many players need paying next year to take that contract on. I'd give a 1 and a 2 if they want to sell Burns though

The probably sums it up better

Last edited:
He’s only owed $1m this season tbf so in the right situation it could be an absurd bargain.

The standard of offensive play in the early kick offs is dismal today

Vikings move to 5-1. Very weird. Could genuinely be 1-5, hopefully improve as the season goes on.

Back